MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:58 AM   #46
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

I have a Traeger Lil Tex pro that I bought 2,5 years ago, it was my introduction into smoking.

I have had 2 problems with it:

- I always use Traeger pellets because pellets are hard to get and now that they are more easy to get, Traeger are a lot cheaper. The 1 time I did use another brand of pellets, I had an error and the fire died.

- November last year, the controller died, dealer send me a new one and I had to spend 2 hours to fix it. Has worked perfectly ever since but the 1st couple of months I was weary about using it for long cooks.

Since buying the Traeger, I've bought a bunch of other pits and I still love using the Traeger for low and slow cooking. I never use it above 250F unless it's to finish something or after wrapping a brisket. I love being able to put ribs on while I'm working in the home office, knowing they will be done in about 6hours, right on time for dinner, without having to take a look at them. (I will spritz them though )

Things I don't like? It needs electricity but we hardly ever are out of power here. Traeger build quality is not the best but I make sure to clean it after every 4-5 cooks. And yes that takes a bit more effort then cleaning a stickburner or kettle.

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-17-2018, 08:00 AM   #47
IFlyEm
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody1911a1 View Post
i'd chip in here but your posts anywhere else would be considered trolling and bordering on insulting . fish or cut bait dude .

seriousely . you want to see my man card pm me and i'll give you my adress .
Are you serious? lol

Old 07-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #48
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thanks for this thread, Smitty. All of your other PP threads had me percolating if I might wanna consider one.

My luck is so bad though, that ALL of the possible downsides posted in this thread WOULD happen to me! I'm now firmly planted in the "fark it, life is easier without it" camp!

Old 07-17-2018, 09:31 AM   #49
Kevin89
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody1911a1 View Post
i'd chip in here but your posts anywhere else would be considered trolling and bordering on insulting . fish or cut bait dude .

seriousely . you want to see my man card pm me and i'll give you my adress .
Feeling the need to prove man card. -10 man card points But, due to pellet usage man card already revoked

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-17-2018, 10:14 AM   #50
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
Thanks for this thread, Smitty. All of your other PP threads had me percolating if I might wanna consider one.

My luck is so bad though, that ALL of the possible downsides posted in this thread WOULD happen to me! I'm now firmly planted in the "fark it, life is easier without it" camp!
I am firmly planted in the undecided camp

Old 07-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #51
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Sounds like someone wants to plant you 6 feet under...
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 10:32 AM   #52
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

So you used to be indecisive but now you're not so sure?
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #53
Smoking Cajun
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
...or trying to shut him the fark up!
Smoking Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #54
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
In all honesty, no cooker is perfect.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #55
tarheelsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

I am a new pellet cooker owner. I have cooked on it twice. I love the ease of cooking with it and the capacity (GMG DB). I got a very deep smoke ring on the Boston Butt that I smoked this weekend and had a good smoky flavor.
The two things that I do not like are the need for electricity and the fact that, IMHO, it should not really be called a grill. At least not for most of us on here. I wouldn’t even think of grilling a steak on it. To get the temp up to the highest takes a lot of pellets and you are not even cooking on it while waiting. Plus the top temp is only 500 degrees for most cookers unless you have a sear station or some kind of mod. It is a great tool in my arsenal. I have a 5 other things that each can do many things better than a pellet does. But for an easy smoker that does not require a lot of attention, it’s hard to beat.

To answer smitty’s question, if it was all I had and nothing else, I would not like it. My answer to the question of if you could only have one cooker, my answer is still a Weber kettle. That hasn’t changed.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #56
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
Good Luck........

Old 07-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #57
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychilla View Post
So you used to be indecisive but now you're not so sure?
Exactly.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #58
Whisky
is one Smokin' Farker

I "didn't like" my Yoder at first. Partly because it felt like cheating, partly because I was used to heavier smoke flavor, and partly because I was babying it and having to wheel it in and out of my garage every time. It basically didn't get used the first year I had it.

Now, I leave it outside, uncovered. It sure didn't take long to start rusting (typical Yoder).
I also use an Amazn Tube all the time.
I got over the fact that it was "cheating" and enjoy doing other things while food is smoking away. It gets used a lot more now.

If you think you would benefit from the added convenience of one, buy one. If not, don't. They certainly don't produce magical food.
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #59
mattmountz94
Babbling Farker

Come help me lay some flooring in my addition and you can use my yoder all you want while in town

Old 07-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #60
BBQ_Bama
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Bama

I've got a question for the pellet owners. My wife's uncle bought a Pitboss two weeks ago and as we were assembling it we noticed in the owners manual it stated the unit would last approximately two years. We thought we both had read it wrong, so we re-read it several times and sure enough. Right there in the owners manual it states the shelf life on the unit is 2 years. This can't be true can it?
BBQ_Bama is offline   Reply With Quote