MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:15 AM   #16
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

There are a lot of factors at work here.

Hoarding is actually limiting supply and increasing prices in some real-world terms. Seriously, there are some REAL SHORTAGES for some meat products right now not because of sick callouts but because of HOARDING massively abnormal purchase quantities by people at large.

The real crisis will come later when people that have 10 years' worth of toilet paper stocked in their garage and spare bedrooms and, 5+ freezers full of everything from steaks to chicken fingers!

As someone who is an FFA "American Farmer" who put themselves through college (engineering degree not 'AG econ') raising beef cattle and wheat with some milo thrown in for variety, restaurant trade in beef, pork, and chicken is poorly understood by the public at large.

Cornish-cross commercial chickens can bounce back IF egg production is 'steady'. I'm definitely not a PETA person but, if you think GESTATIONAL crates are cruel for female hogs, you have totally missed your PETA 'oath' if you eat chicken at any fast food place, 99% of restaurants and, absolutely any chicken purchased at grocery stores or discount clubs. Don't get me started on "free-range" packaged eggs and meat in shrink-wrapped trays!

THE BASIC LACK OF FOOD KNOWLEDGE IS SHOCKING IN THE UNITED STATES.

Wheat will continue to grow, corn will continue to go into your gas tank, the main thing that can't increase or shrink relatively quickly is beef due to the long production cycles required (and the fact that almost all cows only produce one calf at a time at a rate of about one per year under optimal conditions AND the time it takes for a newborn calf to become a heifer and then a cow).

Tilapia and Japanese Quail raised in your own backyard are a much better and cost-effective solution for most people. Backyard chickens are a wonderful option as well if 'domestic livestock' are allowed in your urban jurisdiction. Now go raise some Honey Bees if you want fruit, vegetables and, nuts as well!

Seriously, on my rural East Texas property, I have grown my own chickens from fertilized eggs, honey bees, Tilapia in IBC tanks, and Japanese quail. It is much easier than people 'at large' think and really isn't that hard or difficult with a backyard in most urban household settings (given the normal caveats about zoning and HOA rules). I'm probably going to go to a rabbitry instead of quail though as the quail are basically redundant for me personally and a rabbit is more complimentary to chickens.

For those of you thinking meat chickens are the answer (as opposed to normal dual-purpose breeds), get some 'Red Rangers' instead of Cornish-X's!

Thanks from: --->