Ever wake up and feel like making 200 pounds of burnt ends?

marubozo

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So this pandemic has hit us pretty hard and we had to close last week. But with a little bit of inventory still to liquidate I had the idea of opening one day this week and selling nothing but burnt ends. People line up in the morning to get them on the rare occasions I do offer them, so this should be quite the spectacle.

They are about to hit the smoker for the night. Certainly the most brisket I've ever cooked all at once. :shock:

49695529317_a1cb5b13c2_b.jpg

Hope this adventure goes as well as your rib tips sale seemed to go from what I saw on FB!

Hang in there.

Looks like you're going to have a mess of burnt ends on your hands! Are you cubing the whole brisket or have other plans for the flats once cooked?

Hope this adventure goes as well as your rib tips sale seemed to go from what I saw on FB!

Hang in there.

Dude, that was insane. A half hour before we opened I could see a couple people milling around the front door and knew some people were ready to get theirs as soon as we opened.

But when I unlocked the door and looked outside my jaw instantly dropped. There was a line of over 100 people that stretched all down the sidewalk and even around the corner and halfway around the block. And I had no staff that day, it was just me taking the orders and one guy boxing up the tips. I needed way more help, and possibly even security.

Dangit! Makes me wish I still lived in North Liberty!!

Good luck. This whole thing stinks for the small guys. If I lived closer I would buy some. Heck I would like to drive over and get lessons on how you do it.

In Texas, we make that many for lunch with the family.

Looks great. You should have no problem selling out.
Beat me to it! Hope you sell out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sending good wishes and prayers your way, Jeremy... looks like it’s going to be an awesome event!

Out of curiousity, why are you forced to close? I am in PA, we are pretty limited to what can be open. Fast Food, Curb side pickup, and delivery are options.

That said, i am puzzled as to why all the Chinese take outs have closed in my area. I called 6 a few nights ago whehn we were craving Chinese.

Out of curiousity, why are you forced to close? I am in PA, we are pretty limited to what can be open. Fast Food, Curb side pickup, and delivery are options.

That said, i am puzzled as to why all the Chinese take outs have closed in my area. I called 6 a few nights ago whehn we were craving Chinese.

Forced isn't the correct word. We are still allowed to do carry out. We tried that last week and sales were only 35-40% of normal business. It was costing more to be open (mainly labor and food cost) than to close entirely. Also product shortages.

So we're finding that rather than just try to be open for carry out and roll the dice every day on whether or not people come in, we can just open one or two days a week and plan like a popup flash sale on those days and make enough to cover our overhead.

That's a smart move, and I believe your customers will love it.

One of our local steak houses tried carry-out and curb-side pickup, but they stock high end primal cuts, and with all other restaurants offering pick-up, they were backed up in a corner. A friend's husband is the on-site meat cutter, so they changed into a butcher shop and sold a ton (literately) of steaks and a lot of seafood to the general public. Cut to order and delivered curbside. Now they are offering more reasonably priced selections.

Some smaller Oriental restaurants don't have contracts with Cisco or United Foods, they shop locally for meats and veggies. Now there are limits on purchases, so they are caught between a rock and a hard place.

The takeout pizza places by me closed even though they can stay open. I guess they weren’t getting enough business to make it worthwhile to open the doors. Either that or they can’t get supplies to make pizza.

The State ABC (Alcohol Control Board) is allowing restaurants to sell drinks to go. So while we can't eat in the restaurants we can now get pitchers of Margaritas to go.

The takeout pizza places by me closed even though they can stay open. I guess they weren’t getting enough business to make it worthwhile to open the doors. Either that or they can’t get supplies to make pizza.

My thought was they get a lot of ingredients from china. So thats been halted at least till this virus gets under control. Yes, there is a lot of companies who distribute in the US, but they get most of there stuff from china. Same as beer. It might be bottled in the US, but the beer comes in most likely tanks to the USm then bottled.

My thought was they get a lot of ingredients from china. So thats been halted at least till this virus gets under control. Yes, there is a lot of companies who distribute in the US, but they get most of there stuff from china. Same as beer. It might be bottled in the US, but the beer comes in most likely tanks to the USm then bottled.

Not to go all political but it is this very chit that has GOT to stop!!!

Back