Smoking brisket point

Jeffro N

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I have some whole brisket points in the freezer, the result of needing flats for various cooks (roasts, etc., the latest being home-cured corned beef). I often end up buying a whole packer when I need flat for whatever, as it seems flats alone are either hard to find or ridiculously priced.

That being said, I am planning to smoke a couple of points in the near future. i have done whole packers in the past but never the point by itself. I am thinking of folding over the thin sides and tying with twine to ensure a more even cook. I guess the obvious plan would be to ultimately make burnt ends with them.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I just do it as-is. Just some trimming, no folding over. Low & slow till jiggly. That way those thin bits won’t burn and you’ll have bark all over.

The point is the best part of the brisket.

Help us out, are you cooking direct or indirect? It will put out a lot of grease, so that will have to be accounted for if you are cooking direct.

Are you making BE's...if so finish them off in a pan the last couple hours cubed with some sauce, extra rub added.

Indirect heat (see smoking)- can't imagine getting brisket tender over direct fire (unless of course it's ground into hamburger).

I'm guessing with their thickness they'll cook in a short enough time to eliminate the need for wrapping. Yes, burnt ends seems to be the best way to go.

Indirect heat (see smoking)- can't imagine getting brisket tender over direct fire (unless of course it's ground into hamburger).

I'm guessing with their thickness they'll cook in a short enough time to eliminate the need for wrapping. Yes, burnt ends seems to be the best way to go.

Please accept my apology, it was silly of me to think that you could possibly make a decent brisket on a drum smoker.

Anyway, whatever temp your offset likes to purr along at is what I would cook at. Say 225* chunk up at about 160* internal temp, if it purrs at 275, chunk up 1'x1' pieces at 170* internal temp. I would then put in pan, with a little broth, wrap and cook for an hour or so. Then squeeze one of the pieces and see if it's getting tender? Cook another hour with the top off, this will let the broth reduce off. Also a good time to add a little sauce.

Personally, I would add a couple splits to increase the temp when you pan and add a lid.

Good luck!

Instead of folding over the thin end, you can sort of butterfly (or fillet if you will) the thick end so you have a more uniform thickness. Here is a photo of a raw point I've trimmed and prepped this way, and a shot of the same point after smoking. The thick end is on the right in both photos.

hPEpFJT.jpg

SAGNbET.jpg

thanks thirdeye, the butterfly is a great suggestion, will not only cook more evenly but also save some time. As for sauce, if I do anything it will be pan drippings or light au jus

Back