Fireboard very unstable.

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I tried using the fireboard tonight instead of the CyberQ Cloud and what a disaster, luckily had not went to bed. Was set at 225 and was all over from 200 to 300 using the fan control.

I switched to the CyberQ Cloud and immediately rock solid at 225.

Cooking a brisket on the Kamado Joe Classic II.

Anyone else have this experience when using the fan control?

I would call customer service... Once settled in on my Assassin it holds within 1-2 degrees and around 5-8 degrees on my WSM.

Maybe an issue with the drive cable? Did you check your session chart? Was the fan getting squirrelly?

**Edit**

was typing this post when you posted the charts - disregard the chart question

I would call customer service... Once settled in on my Assassin it holds within 1-2 degrees and around 5-8 degrees on my WSM.

Maybe an issue with the drive cable? Did you check your session chart? Was the fan getting squirrelly?

**Edit**

was typing this post when you posted the charts - disregard the chart question

I am hoping it can be fixed, I actually love the fireboard and app, CyberQ Cloud does not have an app and Share My Cook website is a pain IMO.

I dont use drive but would add what's already been said... Call FireBoard.
Good luck, hopefully its resolved quickly.

My question is have you had successful cooks on the Fireboard before?

My question is have you had successful cooks on the Fireboard before?

Have used it many times without the fan. When I needed a long fan controlled cook always used my CyberQ or CyberQ Cloud.

Is this in regards to the fan/temp controller? Or the general thermometer setup?

did you have it set at 100 percent on auto ? I have never had any issues with mine and only goes like 3 dregrees at times .

It was on auto, tried it again today and stayed very steady 10 degrees hotter than set.

Todays Run

I have had to shut down the exhaust a little and let the fan keep bringing it up in temp to be steady and the smoker might be over shooting the fan with out it running if that makes sense . Also i use mine on different smoker and just sharing what I had to do on mine .

Have used it many times without the fan. When I needed a long fan controlled cook always used my CyberQ or CyberQ Cloud.

You might consider changing out the firmware version for a different one. I devoted a half day without cooking but fiddling with the settings on mine. I had temp spikes 20/30 degrees on my Masterbuilt 560 grill and it's fan. I tried all the versions and the one that worked best for me was version .05. Now, once the temp has settled in, it's almost a flat line on the temps.

I have had to shut down the exhaust a little and let the fan keep bringing it up in temp to be steady and the smoker might be over shooting the fan with out it running if that makes sense . Also i use mine on different smoker and just sharing what I had to do on mine .

I never thought about shutting down the fan a bit to keep it from over shooting.

I had to change the way I ran my intake and exhaust on my UDS with my fireboard. Once I figured out the right combo it dialed right in.

Okay, after some help on here and from Fireboard have had much better luck. Thanks to all who helped. I limited the fan output and stepped up the temp keeping it from overshooting.

Pulled Pork Cook

Glad to see you got the problem solved. Did the Fireboard folks have you close down on the Pit Viper fan damper?
Or did they have you go through the menu (settings>FB ser#>drive settings>fan spd percentage)? If you went this route what percentage did you settle on?

Glad to see you got the problem solved. Did the Fireboard folks have you close down on the Pit Viper fan damper?
Or did they have you go through the menu (settings>FB ser#>drive settings>fan spd percentage)? If you went this route what percentage did you settle on?

I actually did it on the fan itself, going through settings could be a better option and more reliable.

I recently bought a fireboard with a pit viper fan for my Backwoods chubby g2. It's ok. Always overshooting no matter how I adjust the top damper and fan. I can control the temperature of the cooker much better without the fireboard and just adjusting the dampers.

I recently bought a fireboard with a pit viper fan for my Backwoods chubby g2. It's ok. Always overshooting no matter how I adjust the top damper and fan. I can control the temperature of the cooker much better without the fireboard and just adjusting the dampers.

I love the fireboard app, much better than having to use the web browser of the CyberQ cloud.

I believe the fireboard will work great if you step it up to set temp, and limit the fan less than 100%

Back