MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  



Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2020, 11:54 AM   #301
charrederhead
is Blowin Smoke!
 
Join Date: 06-29-12
Location: Litchfield County, CT
Name/Nickname : Pete
Default

I'm a Weber kettle/WSM guy. I've never wanted to use/own a pellet grill- I don't even have a gasser- but I've watched/read the roll-out of the SmokeFire with interest, cuz I'm a WEBER GUY-and all I can say is I'm sooooo disappointed in Weber, ESPECIALLY after Kolman's instagram above. I mean wtf, busting balls is the official company response to what is obviously a design flaw (in terms of what the cooker was touted to be able to do)?

It's like: "Indeed! We have perfected the pellet grill! Believe us when we say the grease/ash collection system requires no grease drip pan! Then, after this proves to be flawed- "What, are you guys morons? Of COURSE you need a drip pan for the long, low cooks. Even my 6 yr old daughter knows that!"

__________________
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers
charrederhead is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->


Old 02-22-2020, 12:20 PM   #302
Adam05
Found some matches.
 
Join Date: 06-17-14
Location: Boston, MA
Default

That was a very disappointing and unprofessional Instagram post by Kevin Kolman. He takes another dig at BBM in the comments. Someone commented that his daughter is a pro and Kevin replied "she's a maniac!!". I don't think I'll buy another Weber product based on how they're handling this.
Adam05 is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 02-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #303
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 02-08-18
Location: San Francisco, CA
Name/Nickname : Joe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam05 View Post
That was a very disappointing and unprofessional Instagram post by Kevin Kolman. He takes another dig at BBM in the comments. Someone commented that his daughter is a pro and Kevin replied "she's a maniac!!". I don't think I'll buy another Weber product based on how they're handling this.
In summation (so far - there could always be another train inbound)
  1. Invite YouTube influencers to your announcement/intro party
  2. Claim you don't need to study/test low and slow as "all pellet cookers can smoke"
  3. Claim you've studied all the competition and corrected their flaws
  4. Release a product that appears to be an actual dumpster fire
  5. Attack the people that you counted on to generate positive press leading to increased sales
  6. Bring your child along for the ride

Did I miss anything?

Last edited by Baychilla; 02-22-2020 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: formatting
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 02-22-2020, 12:57 PM   #304
Maylar
Full Fledged Farker
 
Maylar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-21-15
Location: Connecticut
Default

FWIW Lowes is now showing them on their web site. A handful of reviews and not looking good.
__________________
Dave from CT, USA. - Sunbeam cast aluminum gasser, Cabelas 7-in-1 smoker
Maylar is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 02-22-2020, 01:59 PM   #305
Metron
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 08-04-13
Location: New Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Had extremely high hopes for the Smokefire because it's made by Weber. I had some faith in the company. The plan was to wait for the release and then pick one up as a birthday present to myself.

I am quite glad that I did not preorder.

Upon seeing many have issues, I decided to hold off at least a year or until version 2.0 was dropped to see if the cooker would be smoothed out. Some guys are now posting good cooks with no issues and the potential is clearly there in the cooker, but it's not quite delivering. Plus, BBM's grease fire was a straight up blaring alarm.

After seeing Kevin Kolman's above IG post, Weber can go to hell. I will not be purchasing a Smokefire. I will also not be purchasing the 26" Kettle and the Go Anywhere Charcoal I planned on adding to my collection nearer to summer.
Metron is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 02-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #306
4ever3
Quintessential Chatty Farker

 
4ever3's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-29-12
Location: Tulsa
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychilla View Post
In summation (so far - there could always be another train inbound)
  1. Invite YouTube influencers to your announcement/intro party
  2. Claim you don't need to study/test low and slow as "all pellet cookers can smoke"
  3. Claim you've studied all the competition and corrected their flaws
  4. Release a product that appears to be an actual dumpster fire
  5. Attack the people that you counted on to generate positive press leading to increased sales
  6. Bring your child along for the ride

Did I miss anything?
Nope!

Pretty much think you covered it all!

#whatasmokedumpsterfire
__________________
Jeremy

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

“The cannons don’t thunder, there’s nothing to plunder, I’m an over 40 victim of fate...”
4ever3 is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 02-22-2020, 03:17 PM   #307
SmokyDick
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 07-13-18
Location: Somerset, KY
Name/Nickname : Rich
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maylar View Post
FWIW Lowes is now showing them on their web site. A handful of reviews and not looking good.



My lowes had the little one for sale. I wasn't that impressed with it for a grand. I'd rather get the $500 pitboss.
SmokyDick is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 02-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #308
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 05-16-18
Location: Bronx NY
Name/Nickname : T.J.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metron View Post
Had extremely high hopes for the Smokefire because it's made by Weber. I had some faith in the company. The plan was to wait for the release and then pick one up as a birthday present to myself.

I am quite glad that I did not preorder.

Upon seeing many have issues, I decided to hold off at least a year or until version 2.0 was dropped to see if the cooker would be smoothed out. Some guys are now posting good cooks with no issues and the potential is clearly there in the cooker, but it's not quite delivering. Plus, BBM's grease fire was a straight up blaring alarm.

After seeing Kevin Kolman's above IG post, Weber can go to hell. I will not be purchasing a Smokefire. I will also not be purchasing the 26" Kettle and the Go Anywhere Charcoal I planned on adding to my collection nearer to summer.


I just saw that and responded in kind. While I’m not on the market for a GreaseFire, it makes me second guess any future patronage with Weber.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Stumps XL Baby, PKTX, Weber Kettle 26, MAK 1 Star General, Gateway 30
NYC ‘Que is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 02-22-2020, 04:53 PM   #309
kenrobin
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 04-14-18
Location: Clayton, CA
Name/Nickname : Backyard Smokemaster
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingViper View Post
I posted a review of my Weber SmokeFire EX6. Let me know what you guys think. It's my first blog/review and I tried to be as fair as possible.
https://concision.us/
This is a well thought out & informative review. Thanks for sharing & keep up the great work!
kenrobin is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 02-22-2020, 05:00 PM   #310
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
KevinJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-09-15
Location: Pensacola, FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC ‘Que View Post
I just saw that and responded in kind. While I’m not on the market for a GreaseFire, it makes me second guess any future patronage with Weber.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Arrogance has been the downfall of many talented people, Kevin might just end up finding himself looking for a new job, he can be replaced. A lot of craziness happens on social media, post stupid ish at your own peril.

Do stupid things win stupid prizes hopefully applies here.
__________________
MAK 1 ⭐️ w/FlameZone
Gateway Drum Smoker 30G
Weber Performer w/Slow 'N Sear/Vortex
Weber Go-Anywhere

All American Moinkballer
KevinJ is online now   Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 02-22-2020, 05:03 PM   #311
kenrobin
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 04-14-18
Location: Clayton, CA
Name/Nickname : Backyard Smokemaster
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
=
I don't know why I can't pull myself away from this thread...it's like the dumpster fire is still exciting even though I've been watching it burn for a week now. haha
Me too! I don't own a SmokeFire & it wasn't really on my radar until all of these posts started popping up. Reading the posts & watching the videos along with Weber's response has been fascinating.
kenrobin is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 02-22-2020, 05:04 PM   #312
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 05-16-18
Location: Bronx NY
Name/Nickname : T.J.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenrobin View Post
Me too! I don't own a SmokeFire & it wasn't really on my radar until all of these posts started popping up. Reading the posts & watching the videos along with Weber's response has been fascinating.


I agree. It’s like passing a bad accident; you gotta look.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Stumps XL Baby, PKTX, Weber Kettle 26, MAK 1 Star General, Gateway 30
NYC ‘Que is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 02-22-2020, 05:30 PM   #313
rwalters
Babbling Farker

 
rwalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-08-12
Location: Sacramento CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
Arrogance has been the downfall of many talented people, Kevin might just end up finding himself looking for a new job, he can be replaced. A lot of craziness happens on social media, post stupid ish at your own peril.



Do stupid things win stupid prizes hopefully applies here.


Pride comes before a fall... foolish to go that route!
__________________
MAK 2 Star -- Otto Wilde -- Camp Chef FTG 900
rwalters is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 02-22-2020, 07:16 PM   #314
KevinJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
KevinJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-09-15
Location: Pensacola, FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Pride comes before a fall... foolish to go that route!
Yes sir.
__________________
MAK 1 ⭐️ w/FlameZone
Gateway Drum Smoker 30G
Weber Performer w/Slow 'N Sear/Vortex
Weber Go-Anywhere

All American Moinkballer
KevinJ is online now   Reply With Quote


Old 02-22-2020, 08:00 PM   #315
WBDubya
Full Fledged Farker

 
Join Date: 02-02-19
Location: North Beach, MD
Name/Nickname : Bryan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald View Post
Check out Kevin Kolmans latest Instagram post where he makes a thinly veiled jab at the criticism the grill has received...
Which Kevin Kolman? There are several.
__________________
MAK 2 Star General, Otto Wilde O.F.B. - Former Kamado Joe Big Joe and Joe Jr.
WBDubya is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.
Custom search MAY not work(no display box) in some configurations of Internet Explorer. Please use compliant version of Firefox or Chrome.







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts