MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:54 PM   #256
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Planning Post! (Link)
The 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Sign up sheet (Link)
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 02-19-2020, 07:20 PM   #257
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Looks like this guy may have found a solution to grease fires without cleaning and he made sure it was level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW2ABneP2mM
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBT-4XS Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2020, 08:08 PM   #258
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hapgood View Post
Looks like this guy may have found a solution to grease fires without cleaning and he made sure it was level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW2ABneP2mM
After burning out it looks like crap and still needs to be cleaned up. He's definitely no BBM.[emoji23]

The 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Planning Post! (Link)
The 2020 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash Sign up sheet (Link)
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2020, 08:34 PM   #259
2drunk2Q
Knows what a fatty is.

I bought one, I used it, and it’s a complete piece of ****. Thanks for BBB for calling out the flaws. When I assembled mine I knew it was junk but I’m a weber fanboy. This thing is a safety risk to most people, I hope Weber recalls it at least. Most people don’t dive deep into bbq they just want to cook and will have no idea how to handle these grease fires.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-20-2020, 12:07 AM   #260
Happy Hapgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
After burning out it looks like crap and still needs to be cleaned up. He's definitely no BBM.[emoji23]

If you watched the whole vid, Dude did mention he had a ball of foil to clean the grills. That's all I do with my gasser. Same as I do a burn off from time to time. Not after every cook though.

On edit, He did level it. That's a Biggie.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBT-4XS Bluetooth Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Last edited by Happy Hapgood; 02-20-2020 at 01:44 AM..
Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2020, 01:25 AM   #261
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHump View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure. The lady with whom I spoke was clearly very knowledgeable and forthright. That's not to say that Weber either isn't aware of a bigger issue, or not cover something up. She did, however, say that grease fires are not an issue that they've identified and they disagree with what's being posted/published.

Just so everyone is clear, you can open your lid, put your probe in, etc. What Weber is saying in the manual is that they recommend a drip pan and they do not recommend cooking with the lid open. I didn't like that when I saw it either, as I prefer grilling without a lid.

For me, the biggest takeaway is that I'm now a huge pellet grill fan. I'm very much looking forward to getting a Mak. For those who don't want to drop a ton of coin on a higher end cooker, I think the Smokefire is a tremendous value. It doesn't have the paint problems of a Yoder, probably cooks hotter than a Mak and smokes better than a Memphis, all without the massive price tag. Is it a better cooker? Probably not, at least not right now, but it is probably a much better value and will improve in short order.

Those of you who find yourselves angry, frustrated and disappointed might want to avoid early adoption in the future. I had no expectations of this grill and, for that reason, have not found myself disappointed. I actually chuckled last night when my cooker died mid-cook and I had to move my lamb chops to a skillet.
Buddy, it seems like you keep on saying the same thing over and over, and you're refusing to listen to what people are explicitly showing you. The drip pan is recommended....IN THE GREASE SYSTEM. What this means is that they recommend a drip pan in the drawer. NOWHERE in that manual, or in any video put out by Weber, does it say they recommend a drip tray INSIDE the cooking chamber. If you actually watched BabyBackManiac's video he CLEARLY has a drip pan inside the drawer as recommended by Weber.

Do you mean to tell us that on the phone with Weber they explicitly stated that you should have a drip tray INSIDE the smoke chamber?

Here's what it says in the "warnings" part of the manual :

"WARNING! Never operate this grill without the
ash and grease system in place. Always use a
drip pan to collect grease within the drawer
."

That manual NEVER states to use a drip pan INSIDE the smoke chamber. Each and every time this manual uses the words "drip pan" it is linked directly to "grease system." Their grease system is the method of diverting the grease into the drawer. Unfortunately, as has been shown in many videos, the grease can't drain properly because there is more ash than was designed to be inside the bottom of the cook chamber.

Good luck with your SmokeFire and putting in the new auger (it was the auger, right?). I'm not trying to be rude here but I just wanted to emphasize that you're misunderstanding Weber when they say the words "drip pan" in regards to the SmokeFire. It is part of the grease system which means the the drip pan needs to be in the drawer...NOT the cook chamber.

Also, here's what the manual says about the grease system :

"Easy-Clean Ash and Grease System
With superior ash and grease removal, the ash and grease are channeled into an external, contained drawer for a quick and easy cleanup. This means not having to look at all that nasty grease in a bucket hanging from the side of your beautiful new pellet grill. This unique system also prevents ash from blowing up into the cookbox and onto your food. "

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:33 AM   #262
Shadowdog500
is One Chatty Farker

Here is the brisket from the Weber meet and greet in November There is no drip pan under the meat.

Old 02-20-2020, 06:43 AM   #263
mike243
is one Smokin' Farker

Well if you trim all the fat off before you cook it may not catch on fire, might not be able to eat it but no fire lol. Sad situation and hopefully they will get it corrected quickly, imo even on their gas grills the drip pan is way to close to the heat and have had grease i fires in mine, another 3-4” drop would solve the problem

Old 02-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #264
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Wonder how long until these hit the used market cheap.
Just thinking I might pick one up used and make some mods to use it. I am thinking $100.00 is all the more I would give anyone for one. Just me thinking aloud.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2020, 08:57 AM   #265
NickTheGreat
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
Wonder how long until these hit the used market cheap.
Just thinking I might pick one up used and make some mods to use it. I am thinking $100.00 is all the more I would give anyone for one. Just me thinking aloud.
That's what I'm thinking. Aside from the software end of things, we could probably make corrections to make it usable.

Old 02-20-2020, 09:08 AM   #266
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
That's what I'm thinking. Aside from the software end of things, we could probably make corrections to make it usable.
So long as its perfectly level and you only cook non fat foods on it.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2020, 10:40 AM   #267
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Probably an aftermarket controller will come out and fix it. So if I see one cheap I would buy it and hang on to it.
The grease fire issue can be fixed.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2020, 11:05 AM   #268
SmokyDick
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
Probably an aftermarket controller will come out and fix it. So if I see one cheap I would buy it and hang on to it.
The grease fire issue can be fixed.

A controller can't fix gopher holes, pellets not feeding, and a poor drainage system.
SmokyDick is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2020, 11:05 AM   #269
MattGoose
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Back Maniac View Post
The lid was down both times the fires started.

They don’t encourage a drip pan. They encourage a water pan and it has nothing to do with preventing fires. It has to do with consumers asking for it (mimicking the water pans of the WSM). The guy that built the cooker really dislikes the idea because the whole point in how they designed the cooker was to not need it... or else they would have put one in there. I can not stress enough how proud they are of the drip-panless design. It’s one of the main features they were trying to innovate with and there are a lot of benefits of NOT having one.

With that said...I’ll be using a drip pan in the future. Lol.

There are a several videos of grease fires now. I’m not the only one. I’m glad yours is running so well. Wish mine was.

BBM - I've been watching your videos for years and have always enjoyed them.

The last 3 or 4 minutes of your Smokefire overnight video were some of the most honest and refreshing that I've seen in a while. I've been a fan for awhile, but the integrity and willingness to step up and admit you could have handled it better is a pretty rare thing these days.

So thanks.
MattGoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2020, 01:02 PM   #270
Grif054
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Bacon View Post
What’s even more disturbing is that you can go to Weber’s site & still order one!
I know it! I just went to their website myself and saw that! I returned mine, it was a disaster.
Grif054 is offline   Reply With Quote