MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-23-2020, 05:11 PM   #376
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBDubya View Post
@4ever3

New Pellet Boss, software is awesome.
New K style meat probes
Maybe I'm missing something but isn't a K probe a K probe regardless of year (or were previous probes not K? but lesser?)
/the MAK review soured me on BBM and MAK - give a 3500 grill to a YT influencer get 1 video that doesn't cover most of the grill and the reviewer is splooging over it? (combine that with his reviews of the Weber Egg knock off culminating in a personal call from the president of Weber). That being said - I thought he still produced entertaining videos and his handling of the Weber pellet thing was bar none one of the most exemplary cases of honesty/integrity I've seen in a YouTube review.
//still amused by his approach to his Mak video - if I ever meet him I'd definitely buy him a drink (or more)
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2020, 05:11 PM   #377
StevenZ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Well, even though mine is going back on Thursday I decided to do one final farewell cook. St. Louis style ribs. Not too shabby if you don't mind shoving the pellets every hour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200223_170709.jpg (107.3 KB, 228 views)

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-23-2020, 05:12 PM   #378
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenZ View Post
Well, even though mine is going back on Thursday I decided to do one final farewell cook. St. Louis style ribs. Not too shabby if you don't mind shoving the pellets every hour.

How does the smoke profile compare to other smokers/grills you've owned?

Old 02-23-2020, 05:16 PM   #379
rwalters
Babbling Farker

Quote:
@rwalters how in the heck do you keep that 2 Star so clean????

I’ve told you guys a million times already... lol [emoji12]

Sit right, I’ll share again when I have a minute [emoji1306]

Old 02-23-2020, 05:34 PM   #380
rwalters
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychilla View Post

Ok... here it is :)

SD-20 gets used after every cook. When still warm to the touch (super important the cooker is warm to the touch)... a quick spray down/wipe down with a damp microfiber towel. Then one more quick wipe down after rinsing the towel and wringing it out real good.

Break-Up gets used maybe once/mo for the tough stuff that won’t budge. Again, when warm to the touch. This is only to be used on the stainless. Quickly wipe any overspray/mist off of the SS.

I couldn’t live (well, I suppose I’d live) without both.

(Pack of 4) SD-20 All Purpose Degreaser 1 lb 2 oz/ 510g, Spray on-Wipe Off https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DCJCQCK..._4UWuEbZKS79MN

Diversey Break-Up Professional Oven & Grill Cleaner, Aerosol, 19 oz. (6 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0747GY51B..._nUWuEbR6ZCHEQ

Old 02-23-2020, 06:07 PM   #381
WBDubya
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bryan

Quote:
Maybe I'm missing something but isn't a K probe a K probe regardless of year (or were previous probes not K? but lesser?)
/the MAK review soured me on BBM and MAK - give a 3500 grill to a YT influencer get 1 video that doesn't cover most of the grill and the reviewer is splooging over it? (combine that with his reviews of the Weber Egg knock off culminating in a personal call from the president of Weber). That being said - I thought he still produced entertaining videos and his handling of the Weber pellet thing was bar none one of the most exemplary cases of honesty/integrity I've seen in a YouTube review.
//still amused by his approach to his Mak video - if I ever meet him I'd definitely buy him a drink (or more)
BBM video had older style pin probes on that version of the MAK. Where are you coming up with $3,500? MAK 2 Star is $2,800 including shipping. Yeah, I give BBM credit for calling out the Weber SmokeFire for what it is - a dumpster fire.

Old 02-23-2020, 06:17 PM   #382
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
BBM video had older style pin probes on that version of the MAK. Where are you coming up with $3,500? MAK 2 Star is $2,800 including shipping. Yeah, I give BBM credit for calling out the Weber SmokeFire for what it is - a dumpster fire.
The $3500 was the base cost + the WiFi module (which he tested - had issues with - never followed up on) + taxes + w/e other things he got with the unit that didn't make the video.

Credit where credit is do - I think his coverage of the Weber dumpster fire has been on point.

Old 02-23-2020, 06:30 PM   #383
rwalters
Babbling Farker

Quote:
The $3500 was the base cost + the WiFi module (which he tested - had issues with - never followed up on) + taxes + w/e other things he got with the unit that didn't make the video.

Credit where credit is do - I think his coverage of the Weber dumpster fire has been on point.

Yep, MAK’s ain’t cheap. It’s an investment, not a purchase :)

Old 02-23-2020, 06:32 PM   #384
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Yep, MAK’s ain’t cheap. It’s an investment, not a purchase :)
Hence why I'd like to try what they can put out before potentially going that route.

Old 02-23-2020, 07:00 PM   #385
StevenZ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
It's on par with the MAK 2 Star but not as heavy a smoke profile as the Pitts & Spitts. However, this goes through 3-4x the pellets for the same time/temp. It's actually pretty ridiculous how many pellets this thing goes through.

I burned an entire 20lb bag with the 1hr burn in @ 600F and then 2hrs at 450 on a couple different cooks. Silly.

One thing I don't see many people mentioning but the temps in this cooker drop really fast when you open the door. It was 70F and slight breeze today and I was rolling at 265F. When I opened briefly to turn the ribs and rotate it would drop about 100F and take about 7 minutes to fully recover. Door was probably open 15-20 seconds tops.

Last edited by StevenZ; 02-23-2020 at 08:18 PM..
StevenZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2020, 07:29 PM   #386
Shadowdog500
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
BBM did three videos on the MAC and I believe the mac was just a loaner.

Video 1. https://youtu.be/l6JZwO0HKhk

Video 2. https://youtu.be/-88rTFaynAQ

Video 3. https://youtu.be/19rRJgY5uAM

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:54 PM   #387
Shadowdog500
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Hence why I'd like to try what they can put out before potentially going that route.
+1. For a homeowner to invest in a $3k pellet grill it would be nice to have a way to at least try one before they buy it. Do they have a dealer network where you can go and at least use the demo model.

Chris

Old 02-23-2020, 08:41 PM   #388
barrettd
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
So I ordered a SmokeFire, before I got it, problems started arising, then I get the call mine was in and I turned it down. I just didn’t see a reason to pay to be a crash test dummy!

My thought was version 2.0 would be ready to cook on and I’d buy one then.

After the way the problems of the grill were handled, or not handled, however you wanna look at it, pretty sure I wouldn’t buy version 2.0 no matter what.

Back to pondering between MAK and Yoder, but for now the GMG just keeps puffin’.
What makes you want to switch from GMG? I'm pondering a new grill purchase and am leaning towards a GMG for my budget. I realize mak/Yoder are in a whole other class, I'm just curious what's pushing you towards a big upgrade.

Old 02-23-2020, 08:55 PM   #389
rwalters
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
+1. For a homeowner to invest in a $3k pellet grill it would be nice to have a way to at least try one before they buy it. Do they have a dealer network where you can go and at least use the demo model.

Chris

They used to have dealers, but went direct a few years ago. You can either buy direct from MAK or online through Big Poppa Smokers.

Old 02-23-2020, 09:39 PM   #390
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
They used to have dealers, but went direct a few years ago. You can either buy direct from MAK or online through Big Poppa Smokers.
That's my recollection - either direct or through the one dealer based in Southern California (I went to a BJs restaurant and was surprised to find they use the BPS rub on their babybacks - sadly when I went on Presidents day they were out of the babybacks so I couldn't taste his rub).