MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:17 AM   #1
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Sausage

I made some sausage for the first time yesterday and turned out great. I deboned two of the butts I bought last weekend at $.99/lb. and made breakfast sausage out of one and Italian sausage out of the other. I had 14#'s of sausage when I was all done. For the breakfast sausage I had a jar of seasoning my uncle had given my mother a couple of years ago. It was his own mixture for which he was famous for among family and friends. Having never made sausage before I did the logical thing and gave him a call for a few tips, mainly to find out how much of this stuff I was suppose to use. He told me to cut the pork into chunks then spread 1 heaping teaspoon per pound of pork, mix it up then grind it up. Once I figured out I had the blades to the grinder on backwards making sausage was a snap. It will be a long time before I buy breakfast sausage again. As for the Italian sausage, I just guessed at what to use and fortunately I guessed right on both the spices and herbs and the amounts. Both sausages turned out great. I called my uncle to tell him and thank him for his help and for the seasoning and he was pleased that his godson/nephew was going to carry on a family tradition. He also informed me he sent me the recipie for the seasoning and that I was not to let anyone including my brother and sisters know the secret.

Not wanting to let anything go to waste, I then made a big pot of marinara sauce and added the butt bones for a lilttle extra flavoring.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
smokestack
Full Fledged Farker

good deal- you mean you didn't add all the other stuff the "big boys" use- mice droppings, sawdust ,e coli and anything else that they need to get rid of? homemade is not that hard, as you found out, and you get to contol what goes into it-higher quality all around
Send me the recipe, I won't tell your brother or sister
UDS slowly in the works
smokestack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokestack View Post
I won't tell your brother or sister

A good Italian boy never disobeys his Godfather!

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Making sausage is so easy and the end product is so good I can't believe I ever bought a chub. If you can find it try some Legg's hot sausage seasoning. Darn good stuff.

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #5
Kevin

Making sausage is a lot of fun. I've got Andouille and Chaurice sitting in the fridge overnight to hit the grinder today along with some Boudin. Get to try out my new stuffer, woo hoo!

Old 01-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #6
Jack2u2
is one Smokin' Farker

Can't beat homemade breakfast sausage. My wife won't eat anything else since I started making it. Italian sausage is my second favorite.

What I can't figure out is what is some guy in Minnesota doing making Chaurice and boudin?
Jack2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack2u2 View Post
Can't beat homemade breakfast sausage. My wife won't eat anything else since I started making it. Italian sausage is my second favorite.

What I can't figure out is what is some guy in Minnesota doing making Chaurice and boudin?
Coon ass wanna be?

Old 01-27-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Got a recipe you want to share for Boudin?

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Got a recipe you want to share for Boudin?
I'm trying the one I found on this link:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...70&postcount=2

I'll let you know how it turns out. The Andouille and Chaurice smell great.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #10
JamesB
is one Smokin' Farker

While I wish you could share that 'secret' recipe, I understand if it's a family thing... Maybe since it's so good you could send me a sample to try???

I just started making my own sausage around Christmas time... It's addictive I tell ya!

Congrats on the new hobby!

James.
JamesB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #11
gotwood
is one Smokin' Farker

How about just listing the ingredients but not the quantities?? Im just curious about the flavorings you use.
gotwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2008, 05:12 PM   #12
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

How about bottling and selling it or even better making the sausage and selling it? Do what you love and the money will follow.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2008, 05:19 PM   #13
wlh3
is One Chatty Farker

Made some Italian sausage fri for the first time. used a chef buddies recipe turned out great. Used pasrt of it in a spaggetti sauce yesterday for Mondays dinner all the flavors should be married well. Love making this stuff made a 3 lb test batch only have 3/4 lb left Breakfast sausage is next on my list
UDS #2 is done and cooking
Walker

I BBQ because it is just so PRIMAL
wlh3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2008, 03:30 AM   #14
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
How about bottling and selling it or even better making the sausage and selling it? Do what you love and the money will follow.
"Sausage in a bottle". Now that would be a novelty, first everyone talks about it, then they eat it.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old 02-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #15
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I'm trying the one I found on this link:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...70&postcount=2

I'll let you know how it turns out. The Andouille and Chaurice smell great.
Here is the Boudin. I really like it. My wife loves it. If momma's happy, well you know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_0217Boudin0001.JPG (108.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 2008_0217Boudin0008.JPG (113.6 KB, 75 views)