• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Air compressor tank as smoker?

kyle corn

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to pick up a 120 gallon air compressor tank and wanted to build a smoker with it. I don't know how these are made, I just wanted confirmation that they are OK to build into smokers and not too thin or anything like that.

Thanks!

They are pretty thin. They also collect a lot of water while doing there intended task of compressing air. You will likely find that the tank is quite rusted at the lower end.

They are pretty thin. They also collect a lot of water while doing there intended task of compressing air. You will likely find that the tank is quite rusted at the lower end.

That's what I was worried about. What is generally considered to be the minimum thickness necessary to build an efficient smoker?

What are other tanks that are easily found used that can be converted to smokers? Propane tanks are common, but they're dangerous.

I made a smoker out of an 80 gallon air compressor tank. There was some rust at the bottom of the tank(on the inside), which I took a wire brush on a grinding wheel and knocked it out pretty quickly. I took the motor off and the motor mounts, and took the feet off. I turned it on its side attached a fire box. Made a really nice off set smoker. Steel was about 3/16 thick.

This one piqued my interest, If it were a 500 rather than a 1000 I would be dealing.
http://mankato.craigslist.org/grd/1884409267.html
I'm not afraid of cutting into a used fuel tank as long as it is filled with water.

I've found a few 250 and 500 gallon propane tanks in my area I'd like to pick up. I don't mind cutting into them either with the proper precautions, but not having to worry about it at all is nice.

I've found a few 250 and 500 gallon propane tanks in my area I'd like to pick up. I don't mind cutting into them either with the proper precautions, but not having to worry about it at all is nice.

I do understand that thought.

This is a tank I bought. it was an air tank used at construction sites where they would bring an ondustrial compressor trailer and pressurize it. Working out well.
Smoker4.jpg

I made some smoker out of rail car air tank they was 1/4 thick A off set will not rust out like a direct fire cooker. I say go for it should last at least 10 years .

Here's mine...a 100 gallon air compressor

Thebeginning.jpg

Had some water/oil in the bottom when I got it.
With some tender loving coaxing, I turned it into this....

sooooclose.jpg

Then this....

downsized_0516001732a1.jpg

That cooks this.....

downsized_08010018281.jpg

And this.....

downsized_07110012211.jpg

That causes this.... (brothers waiting to be fed)

downsized_04030020031.jpg

Build it, they will come..... (and should you decide not to, let me know. I'll take it off your hands and build another one)

Have fun and build it! :rolleyes:

Not all compressor tanks are thin... I state the obvious when I say knock on it. You can tell if its "too thin" by the feel of it. Im working on a old 80gal compressor tank from the 50's that 3/8th thick!!! (not the build in my sig.) So it could work out for you, but you will never know till you check it out in person.

Generally the ones that are pretty thin are the water pressure tanks. But the compressor tank may just be worth your time. :thumb:

Cheers

Thanks for all of the input, I'm glad to hear that people have used AC tanks with great success. However, I found out today that it's only an 80 gallon tank (one of the guys in the shop that has the tank overestimated it's size and another guy gave me the real scoop). I was hoping to build a trailer cooker, but now this just gives me an excuse to look for something much larger for the trailer. I think I'll still grab the 80 gallon tank as it'll make an awesome backyard cooker.

Steve, those are great pics. Looks like you made an awesome cooker!

seattlepitboss, I will be following your build thread, looks like you're off to a great start!

Back