MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #6196
2Bulldogs
Knows what a fatty is.

Like it has been said, All the info is here. I just built one using info I found here. The only things that are not discussed in the first parts and last hundred pages or so and are important are, dont use anything galvanized in your build, and dont get a barrel with a red or orange liner, unless you really enjoy hard work and hearing loss.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #6197
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bulldogs View Post
Like it has been said, All the info is here. I just built one using info I found here. The only things that are not discussed in the first parts and last hundred pages or so and are important are, dont use anything galvanized in your build, and dont get a barrel with a red or orange liner, unless you really enjoy hard work and hearing loss.
What was that? Didn't hear you....
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #6198
2Bulldogs
Knows what a fatty is.

ehhhhhhhhhh....my ears say "unlined next time please."

Old 06-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #6199
cdoink
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bulldogs View Post
I can't even begin to stress how true this is!! I'm nearing completion on my UDS build but I basically spent the better part of 2 days cleaning out the remaining liner with a drill/wire brush cup attachment after 2 burnouts didn't do the trick.
cdoink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #6200
KCcooking
Got rid of the matchlight.

Not sure how far along you are in your UDS project. If you can hang on, I have made a very comprehensive ebook. Includes step by step pictures, what NOT to do, material list and how to for cedar side table and cedar 'accessory ring' that wraps around the drum. Launch date is scheduled for July 13, 2010, hopefully sooner.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #6201
KCcooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamuck View Post
I realize this is an old post, but am new here and would love a copy of the plans to a good UDS. Does a half inch pipe fit 3/4 hole? I have 3/4 bit and 1/2 pipe nipples on hand. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Not sure how far along you are in your UDS project. If you can hang on, I have made a very comprehensive ebook. Includes step by step pictures, what NOT to do, material list and how to for cedar side table and cedar 'accessory ring' that wraps around the drum. Launch date is scheduled for July 13, 2010, hopefully sooner.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #6202
Darko
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerritt View Post
anyone know where UDS parts/supplies can be found in Canada?? in particular the GTA area?
If you're in Hamilton, go to Green Mountain Landscaping on 20 Hwy, just south of Mud St. You can pick up an unlined steel drum with lid for 15 bucks. Get one of the blue barrels that had Simethicone. They have a removable plastic liner bag. Tell them you want to make a smoker out of it, and they'll throw in a steel lid.

Rest of the stuff just go to the hardware store( Lowes, HD, Crappy tire, Home hardware...)
Darko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #6203
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko View Post
If you're in Hamilton, go to Green Mountain Landscaping on 20 Hwy, just south of Mud St. You can pick up an unlined steel drum with lid for 15 bucks. Get one of the blue barrels that had Simethicone. They have a removable plastic liner bag. Tell them you want to make a smoker out of it, and they'll throw in a steel lid.

Rest of the stuff just go to the hardware store( Lowes, HD, Crappy tire, Home hardware...)
FYI, spend a little more and get stainless steel fasteners(nuts,bolts,washers). I get my drums free, with Weber SS hinged grates(2), Tel-Tru thermometer, bottle opener, self fabricated charcoal basket, High temp paint, I spent $200.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]

Last edited by expatpig; 09-08-2011 at 02:33 PM..
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 08:07 PM   #6204
shdybrady
On the road to being a farker

I drilled my holes in my uds. And I wanted to use 3/4" for my main ball valve and 1.25" for my spare holes. Mainly for aiding in drainage. I knew that people hardly ever use them so I figured I could go bigger. I didnt like how metal flexed around the ball valve so I decided to use some butterfly valves as the intake. Do ya'll think the holes are too big? Do you think the butterfly valve will work?
shdybrady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #6205
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shdybrady View Post
I drilled my holes in my uds. And I wanted to use 3/4" for my main ball valve and 1.25" for my spare holes. Mainly for aiding in drainage. I knew that people hardly ever use them so I figured I could go bigger. I didnt like how metal flexed around the ball valve so I decided to use some butterfly valves as the intake. Do ya'll think the holes are too big? Do you think the butterfly valve will work?
Don't see why they wouldn't. People use fridge magnets with no issues.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #6206
shdybrady

and thats what im using for this weekend. Just for the first cook to practice on. But does anyone know the round nature of the drum will mess with the function of the vent?
shdybrady is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2010, 12:48 AM   #6207
6gfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatpig View Post
FYI, spend a little more and get stainless steel fasteners(nuts,bolts,washers). I get my drums free, with Weber SS hinged grates(2), Tel-Tru thermometer, bottle opener, self fabricated charcoal basket, High temp paint, I spent $200.
Bill, I really like your charcoal basket design. I will be swiping this idea from you on my next uds. :)

However, I am afraid that your springs might become brittle and break after a lot of heat cycles. Are you worried about this at all? Maybe a wingnut or strong magnetic catch at the bottom might work better.
6gfla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #6208
smokin' steeze
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I'm working on begining my first UDS & was wondering about adding a door to the smoker. At the moment I am commited to putting one on the UDS but I was just wondering how ya'll felt about that effecting my ability to control my fire ie letting in too much unwanted air? My craftsmanship isn't exactly top notch but attention to detail on the project seems to be a little higher then normal, probably because I can taste the results.

Thanks
JS
smokin' steeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #6209
fat_bastard

A UDS does not need a door. You generally won't be needing to do much fire tending and it'll just be another place for leaks.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #6210
smoke it if ya got it
Full Fledged Farker

I have a UDS with a door and the only time I have trouble is if I have the lid off for more than 3-5 minutes then the temp gets to high and it's hard to settle her back down butt on the other side if temps are going down or having a hard time getting them up opening the door takes them up in an instant. I like my door for long cooks because I can throw in more lump or wood depending on whats needed.

[COLOR=red]Rub it till it smokes![/COLOR]
smoke it if ya got it is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker