MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
BenBarrBQue
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Catering, Farmer's Market, etc...

So, I'm trying to get licensed to serve BBQ at a local farmers' market this summer, but I need to jump through the hoops of the health department. They're telling me that I need a commercial, brick-and-mortar kitchen in order to get approved. So, I need an exhaust system, ovens, etc...BUT, if I'm not doing any cooking in the actual kitchen (all of it is outside on my pit, right?), then why the hell do I need the oven, stove, exhaust system, etc???? Can't I get away with three sinks and a hand washing sink and a fridge???? Anyone have any thoughts about this??? Thanks!

Old 01-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
Kimo1
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Kimo1

Are you cooking off site and bringing it ready to serve? If so, this would be the reason as it has to be done in approved facility. Now, if you plan to cook on site, a temporary food permit would be your best bet (if MA offers that).
Kimo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

unless you cook on site, you have few options but to get a brick-n-mortar kitchen that is approved by health department. you need to look for a commercial kitchen somewhere.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

What are MA regulations on smokers? Are you able to cook on a smoker outside? Are you only selling meat?

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2014, 07:10 AM   #5
Bbq Bubba

When you fill out your temp vending permit, tell them your cooking onsite. You tell them you show up at 2 am and start cooking. Ask for a inspection JUST BEFORE opening for the day. As far as they know you WERE there cooking all nite.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
NazBQ
On the road to being a farker

Most states require a Commissary Agreement if you dont have a commercial kitchen. You have to find a commercial kitchen that will sign off on your catering/vending company, implying that you will use their kitchen (even if you dont).
[B]Cook Team[/B] @ [URL="http://WolfCandyBBQ.com"]WolfCandyBBQ.com[/URL]
[B]Web Designer[/B] @ [URL="http://barbecuewebsites.com"]BarbecueWebsites.com[/URL]
NazBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #7
landarc

It has been my experience, from having worked on all sides of the regulatory equation, that the more you fight the requirements, the more money and time you will lose. Rather than look for workarounds, figure out the costs of renting a commissary for a couple hours a week, meet the regulations and do it legally. Play the game by the rules, it saves you loads of heart ache.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
Smoke House Moe

Ask the HD again, and let them know you will be cooking outside under a canopy tent.

For farmers markets in MN (one of the strictest HD states) I can use three bucket system (wash, rinse, sanitize), chafing dishes, and hot box cambro's.
I use a temp-food stand license, which allows the three bucket system and does not require an exhaust hood, etc.

Every state is different though.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #9
sunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
It has been my experience, from having worked on all sides of the regulatory equation, that the more you fight the requirements, the more money and time you will lose. Rather than look for workarounds, figure out the costs of renting a commissary for a couple hours a week, meet the regulations and do it legally. Play the game by the rules, it saves you loads of heart ache.
I couldnt agree more Landarc, smile and do what they want and dont try to figure out why. Most of the time they dont know either, but they have the book.
sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote