MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 10-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #31
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

ecode, that is awsome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Outstanding job.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 10-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #32
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Around the world in fatties! Great idea, ecode!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #33
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ron, that is a gorgeous fatty. I'm ready to dig into one for breakfast!

Erin, I think you missed a few countries, and besides the "almost rans" which you listed, I was secretly looking forward to seeing the kind of fatty that would emerge from Morocco. There is still time though, and maybe before this Throwdown is finished we will see the rest of the world represented? If you need help convincing Gore how important this research would be, just let me know. The weave work was most impressive; the diagonal weave looked amazing, and no words can properly put the sheer brilliance of the eggplant-bacon weave into the appropriate context it deserves! Then there's the cornflakes... Maybe that one is not as original as I think it is...it's the first I have seen it anyway...but despite these reservations, that is also just absolutely brilliant!

And all this time we thought Gorden was the brilliant one. He's smart and all, but DANG! I know that I am not worthy.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #34
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I think I need to see my cardiologist after looking @ Ron_L's and Encode's WOW
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #35
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Wow,you guys are truly amazing.
Arizona Chapter BBQ Brethren-----AZBarbeque Hall of Fame, North American Outdoors Grill,Charbroil Red, #7 Custom Red Kamado, Bandera
MrSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #36
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

Both entries look great. I thought I was overachieving when I made two fattys yesterday, and then ECODE shows up with six different ones. Good work.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #37
deguerre

So much for traditional Ronelle! Nice, or is that suhweet?

And ecode!!! No fair!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #38
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathamphetamine View Post
does it have to be pork?
Nope. While the traditional ones are pork sausage breakfast ones with the funny wrapper twisted on each end (hence the name), they can be made of most anything resembling sausage (pseudo-sausage). It needs to be contain quite a bit of fat to maintain moisture, but even there, I am not fussy. Part of the beauty of the fatty is that it can be made of most anything and can be stuffed, rubbed or what ever. No long list of rules here. The key is to be long and thin (tubular) and must, repeat must be smoked. I do draw the line to cooking it in a loaf pan, making it a meat loaf or a fatty loaf maybe. A fatty must be rolled and smoked. This is the other non negotiable. Hope this helps.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #39
bigabyte

Default Pecan Pig!

I think I will call this a Pecan Pig!

A medium pork sausage fatty, stuffed with the pecans, crust, and some of the filling from a pecan pie, and wrapped with a pig candy bacon weave. Drizzled with BigButzBBQ sauce to make it just right.

Details on how it was prepared are here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=93765

And more pics of the finished product are here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=93772

Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #40
deguerre

Yep. That'll do 'er.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #41
ecode
On the road to being a farker

That is amazing!
There's just something about fatties that sparks the imagination.
I think I know why your wife was upset. On closer examination you did use more than 1/2 the pie.
ecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #42
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetang View Post
IMO, anyone can buy a chub of sausage and smoke it ( although I make mine, same o same o). Beef, now, that requires a bit of skill and creativity.
I stand corrected!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #43
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I think I will call this a Pecan Pig!
My blood sugar went up 40 points just from the picture!

Great idea, Chris!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #44
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

Default Pizza Fatty and a Fall Apple Fatty

Okay, I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring for another one of these. I did two, my first one was basically a pizza fatty. I added ricotta, mozzarella, sauteed mushrooms, and a pepperoni stick to some hot italian sausage and wrapped the whole thing in a bacon weave. I stuffed way too much stuff in this one, and it exploded in the smoker. Still tasted great, but I learned a bit of a lesson in excess.

081.jpg

Added some maranara sauce and made a pretty good sandwich.

084.jpg

For the second one, I wanted to make something that went with the fall season. I sliced some apples thin and added some gouda cheese to some regular italian sausage. At the end, I glazed the whole thing in apple butter. This one was one of my favorite things I've ever smoked. The sweetness of the apple butter went perfectly with the sausage and brie.

076.jpg

Added a little more apple butter and made another sandwhich.

077.jpg

My wife and I split both of these and both agreed that while the pizza one was good, the gouda/apple one had a far more distinct taste. I had only made one fatty prior to this, but I think I am now hooked. The possibilities are endless. Thanks for taking a look. I guess use the third pic as my entry.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #45
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

I'm speechless...
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Eggplant Fatty w/Bacon, Fat Squirrel Fattie, fatty, Throwdown, Throwdown Entry Thread