Perfecting the glaze finish

Chenernator

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm getting better at creating a uniform glaze finish on my ribs and chicken, but it's not perfect yet. I've been using a silicone brush to "paint" it on. That's eliminated the globs, but now I have brushmarks.

What's the best way to apply it and avoid globs or brushmarks? OR is this not an application issue but due to the consistency/viscosity of the sauce?

Hard to say without knowing all the variables you are dealing with, but I can give you a good comparison: wet paint..... When it is fresh it will streak and run if not applied properly, when it is almost dry and you run a brush through it, the brush strokes will remain.

Sauce acts similar .
Put on too thick it will run, too thin it will streak. Mess with it after it has set in the heat, and you will regret it.

Like Porkalot says, there's a lot of variables. Sauce viscosity matters. I tend to go thin, apply it 20 minutes before I'm done, and it dries out nicely in the smoker.

The silicone brush matters too. I have an OXO brush and a Mario Batali brush. The fatter Batali "bristles" leave deep brush marks that don't go away. The finer OXO bristles don't leave marks

This is the OXO
1362.jpg

This is the Batali brush
31BS0AEN71L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Hard to say without knowing all the variables you are dealing with,

Re: variables. I typically apply 30 minutes prior to finish. Sauce is homemade, slightly thinner than ketchup.

Like Porkalot says, there's a lot of variables. Sauce viscosity matters. I tend to go thin, apply it 20 minutes before I'm done, and it dries out nicely in the smoker.

The silicone brush matters too. I have an OXO brush and a Mario Batali brush. The fatter Batali "bristles" leave deep brush marks that don't go away. The finer OXO bristles don't leave marks

This is the OXO
1362.jpg

This is the Batali brush
31BS0AEN71L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Nice point on the bristle thickness. How do you thin out your sauce?

I use a thinner glaze, apply two thin coats with a silicone brush, at 30 mins and 15 mins. And, if I think there are too many brush marks, I spray with apple juice to help smooth out the edges.
P1190027.jpg

I'm getting better at creating a uniform glaze finish on my ribs and chicken, but it's not perfect yet. I've been using a silicone brush to "paint" it on. That's eliminated the globs, but now I have brushmarks.

What's the best way to apply it and avoid globs or brushmarks? OR is this not an application issue but due to the consistency/viscosity of the sauce?

Don't use a brush. Get the sauce very hot and spoon it over your final pieces of chicken or cut ribs. Let the excess drain off and into the box...

Attachments

• harvard_ma_2009_391.3575038_large.jpg
    harvard_ma_2009_391.3575038_large.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 279
I ran into the same problem, so now we touch up with a fan bush. These brushes are extreamly soft. We spritz with a fine mist of AJ and then lightly touch it up...

Brush-Fan.jpg

Don't use a brush. Get the sauce very hot and spoon it over your final pieces of chicken or cut ribs. Let the excess drain off and into the box...

Exactly.

I use a majic wand.....Poof!

These previous comments should help. All great points. I do like the artist fan brush though. I'll have to try that!

I like the suggestion, but what box are you talking about? Surely not the turn-in box, as that would result in pooled sauce wouldn't it?

I ran into the same problem, so now we touch up with a fan bush. These brushes are extreamly soft. We spritz with a fine mist of AJ and then lightly touch it up...

Brush-Fan.jpg

Great suggestion.

I like the suggestion, but what box are you talking about? Surely not the turn-in box, as that would result in pooled sauce wouldn't it?

Let the excess drain off and then put into the turn in box

Another technique if your sauce/glaze is thick and your are getting brushstrokes is to spritz with hot water or AJ after brushing just before you close the lid - this will even out the brush marks.

Back