logo

Trip Planning Help

BigdogKC

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So my family and I are headed back east to NC to visit some family that I haven't seen in over 25 years. The plan is to drive the minivan and stop at camp sites to save money. I am all about that, except I am not sure how we will all 4 fit in the minivan for sleeping. Granted the kids are small...one hasn't even been born yet, and the other is only 3...but I am a big fellas and need some space :)

What do you all think about a Class C RV or a pop-up or a pull behind? I am trying to figure out economical and comfort, which don't seem to go hand in hand. Any advice on the trip in general would be great too; I have never driven this far on a trip, so I am not sure what to expect.

We usually take a tent on trips like that to save money. The key to comfort is a good, self-inflating air mattress. I bet the kids would love sleeping in a tent beside the minivan.

What do you all think about a Class C RV or a pop-up or a pull behind? I am trying to figure out economical and comfort, which don't seem to go hand in hand. Any advice on the trip in general would be great too; I have never driven this far on a trip, so I am not sure what to expect.

I don't think renting a RV would be any cheaper than stopping at hotels. I purchased a Class "A" and my kids still prefer to camp next to the RV in a Wally World tent that I purchased. We bought inflatable mattresses and a $99.00 A/C unit from Lowes to stick in the doorway. The A/C unit actually blows up the tent and keeps it nice and cold during the hot summer months. Another alternative is KOA. If you look online at KOA sites; they are known for being CLEAN and FAMILY FRIENDLY. They also have small cabins to rent as well.

Thanks for your input. We have decided to just use the mini-van and park at some KOA and other camp sites we found online.

Now I have another Question: One leg of our trip will be driving from Lexington, KY to Koxville, TN. Is there any BBQ joints that are must trys? Also what is some cool stuff that a family should stop to do in that area?

Back