Pulled Chicken

Smoken Gunn

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I am new to this site, just got out of Cattle Call, so please forgive me if this is on the wrong thread.
Anyway, I made pulled chicken out of two 6 pound birds tonight. I have to apologize because I only have photos of the finished product. I began preparing it this morning after working all night, blah blah blah, and out of my tiredness, I forgot the camera. I will explain the process though. First, I brined them for 6 hours in Apple juice, water, brown sugar and kosher salt. After that, I brushed them with evoo and covered them with a brown sugar/paprika rub. Here's where I tried something new, I placed them on an open can of Dr Pepper as opposed to beer. I prepared my Webber Kettle grill, added some apple wood chunks, and got the temp to 275. After thin blue smoke was flowing, I placed them on the grate over a pan of hot water. About 2 hours later, the breast meat was 173, so I took them off, wrapped them in tin foil and placed under towels in a cooler for 1 hour.
While they were resting, I mixed equal parts Sweet Baby Rays and Dr Pepper and simmered it on the stove.
I pulled the chicken, rubbed it with the skin, then discarded the skin. The wife said it was the best chicken she ever had and the most surprising part, none of the kids complained! So here is my only picture
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311653006.722439.jpg

Thanks for viewing! And I promise to have full pics from beginning to end next time!

Never apologize for something that looks and sounds so good! Everyone loves pics but a good description is always nice too. Welcome and keep the food coming :thumb:

Thank you all very much! And yes, it definitely was sweet and very sticky. While I did like it, I think I'll stick with cans of beer next time and my good old fashioned homemade BBQ sauce with Jack Daniels in it.

That looks really good. I love to use Dr. Pepper in BBQ sauce. It has such and interesting flavor and adds a nice sticky texture.

Bottom Line:
Wife and kids happy = well done you.

Welcome to the Brethren and next time you can send the skin to me, that's my favorite part especially if it is bite through crunchy. :becky:

Welcome. and it looks great. just so you know i i forget the camera all the time. i still have to remember to grab it and do after we have eatened. So don't worry about. keep having fun.

Welcome brother! Great looking stuff right there! Like everyone said, if the wife is happy then you done good!

Looks and sounds great from here too! Welcome to the forum. :-D

Brother You dont have to apologize for what you cooked!!!that looks awesome!!! Smoke on Brother!!:thumb:

Thank you all very much for the welcomes and the complements! I can tell I am really going to like this site!!

And Basuraman, I deboned the bird, then pulled the chicken by hand. It wasn't as easy to do as a pork butt, but it was still pretty easy!

That was the first time I made that, and I will definitely be doing it again sometime in the very near future.

Back