MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-25-2003, 09:24 AM   #1
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Anybody wanna take on Al Roker?

I just watched the rerun of the Memphis in May competition that Al Roker and his team competed in. After the second go-around I'm convinced that just about any combo of Brethren cound whip his team's butt.

(1) Membrane/no membrane discussion -- pulleezzee!! NO MEMBRANE if you wanna win!!

(2) Test batches - get real - they acted like nobody in the group had ever smoke ribs -- 4 hours, 6-1/4 hours, again, get a grip. The were doing baby backs!!

(3) Leaving the smoker unattended with bad weather in the forcast -- I thought Al was a weather man!! :D Instead of just leaving it running with no supervision how about cooking up some brisket -- why waste a perfectly good 225 degree smoker??

Anyway, just a few of my thoughts as I suffered through an allergy headache on a weekend afternoon.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2003, 09:27 AM   #2
chad

I may have come off as mean spirited. Actually, I like Al. I even entered the contest to try and get on his team -- I've even read his book! So, I'm not mad at Al -- I just wish his team had come off looking like serious cookers instead of bumbling around for TV.

Will I enter another contest? You bet -- if he does this gig next year maybe he'll get a Brethren member.

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),

Old 07-21-2004, 09:22 PM   #3
BrooklynQ
Banned

[quote="DFLittle"]Actually, I like Al. I even entered the contest to try and get on his team -- I've even read his book! quote]

You read his book too? I got it as a father's day gift. But, can you tell me what the book had to do with BBQ? It was all grilling if I remember correctly.

The show was poorly edited, IMHO. It made me think of a rich spoiled kid who's latest passion is BBQ. Go buy a custom made grill, hire a trainer (Willingham) and then expect to win. I don't think Al was at his best here.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2004, 06:59 AM   #4
MikeG
Full Fledged Farker

AL and his crew finished 87th in the contest.
I liked his smoker ... cost over $8,000
MikeG
MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2004, 01:17 PM   #5
racer_81
Babbling Farker

[quote="BrooklynQ"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFLittle
Actually, I like Al. I even entered the contest to try and get on his team -- I've even read his book! quote]

You read his book too? I got it as a father's day gift. But, can you tell me what the book had to do with BBQ? It was all grilling if I remember correctly.

The show was poorly edited, IMHO. It made me think of a rich spoiled kid who's latest passion is BBQ. Go buy a custom made grill, hire a trainer (Willingham) and then expect to win. I don't think Al was at his best here.
John Willingham? BBQ Champion?

Old 07-22-2004, 04:14 PM   #6
BrooklynQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by "racer_81[/quote

Yup, one in the same. Used a Willingham Turbo Cooker too. Willingham gave him a crash course in BBQ.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2004, 12:52 PM   #7
racer_81
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by "racer_81[/quote

Yup, one in the same. Used a Willingham Turbo Cooker too. Willingham gave him a crash course in BBQ.
Anybody know if those Turbo Cookers are for sale anywhere?

Old 07-26-2004, 05:22 PM   #8
Solidkick

So......back on topic for a bit.......

Was that the show that Al used that vertical type smoker that rotated inside and they hung the ribs? Was that a pellet smoker?
Anyone know a link to it?

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2004, 06:26 PM   #9
chad

Yep it was a pellet smoker -- and when the storm hit these fine competitors were all at the motel -- hence the panic that the "fire" went out and they didn't know it until they showed up the next morning.

Old 07-27-2004, 12:02 PM   #10
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Since we now have a forum for these kinds of Competition discussions, this thread has been moved here.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2004, 12:05 PM   #11
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

When Al Roker did the section on showing his area, cooking area, rubs, presentation etc, to the walk around judge.... that would seem one of the most difficult parts on the MIM circuit.

Does anyone here judge MIM? Are there criteria that these "site judges" go by? Some seem to ask alot, some seem to just look for aestetics?

Just wondering, and the Al Roker competition and the rain made me think of that.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote