MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
SacramentoHusker
Got Wood.

Question Dual Remote Thermometer - Some questions ...

I've been looking for a while to find a dual thermometer that can read the temperature of the meat and the temperature of the chamber, and I haven't been able to find much. I've found ones that are rated for meat, and ones that are rated for the chamber, but just this one that is rated for both.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with this device. The reviews on Amazon seem to be mostly 4 and 5 star.

I'm looking to use this with the Kamado I recently picked up. You can read about that here.

Your thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Industries-RediChek-Wireless-Thermometer/dp/B0000DIU49/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
SacramentoHusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

That's the unit I use. User friendly, seems pretty accurate. Worth the money.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I should note that some people have had trouble with their dual-probe Mavericks. One of the problems is they can have very short range (on the order of 10 feet) unless you perform an antenna mod. Others have had problems with the probe wires going bad and having to be replaced at significant cost. This is not universal, of course.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
SacramentoHusker
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I should note that some people have had trouble with their dual-probe Mavericks. One of the problems is they can have very short range (on the order of 10 feet) unless you perform an antenna mod. Others have had problems with the probe wires going bad and having to be replaced at significant cost. This is not universal, of course.
I'm not too concerned about the range, though I am concerned about the wires/probes. It doesn't seem as if too many folks have that issue.

Thanks for the comment.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
SacramentoHusker
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadhunter911 View Post
That's the unit I use. User friendly, seems pretty accurate. Worth the money.
Any issues with the probes/wires?

Old 09-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

I've never had an issue with mine and range was good for me w/o antenna mod

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
gtsum
Babbling Farker

How do West Coast Husker from a Right Coast Husker!!!

Get the Maverick like mentioned, but if you have any issues with range, which everyone I have had is the case, do a simple 10 minute mod to greatly extend the range. Basically, you take the back case off and attach a wire to the board with solder - the antennae is part of the board - I did this and I can keep connected from the third floor of my house all the way in the front (smoker is in the back)...that is through a lot of walls, doors, etc. It is night and day difference how much better it works with this simple mod...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Incr...Q-Thermometer/
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
Tone
Knows what a fatty is.

I used my ET-73 for about a year and have already replaced both probes. The wires on the ET-73 are very thin and got crimped with the lid of my offset. I think if I had drilled a hole to run the wires through they would have lasted longer.

I replaced the Maverick probes with Oregon Scientific probes which are much thicker and now I'm confident the unit will run fine for years to come.
Tone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

Don't know but must say GO BUFFS!
pigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
SacramentoHusker
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
How do West Coast Husker from a Right Coast Husker!!!

Get the Maverick like mentioned, but if you have any issues with range, which everyone I have had is the case, do a simple 10 minute mod to greatly extend the range. Basically, you take the back case off and attach a wire to the board with solder - the antennae is part of the board - I did this and I can keep connected from the third floor of my house all the way in the front (smoker is in the back)...that is through a lot of walls, doors, etc. It is night and day difference how much better it works with this simple mod...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Incr...Q-Thermometer/
I've seen that mod - I think I'll be doing it if I can't things to work right.

GBR!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
SacramentoHusker
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigdog View Post
Don't know but must say GO BUFFS!
They are going! Straight to the PAC-12!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
SacramentoHusker
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
I used my ET-73 for about a year and have already replaced both probes. The wires on the ET-73 are very thin and got crimped with the lid of my offset. I think if I had drilled a hole to run the wires through they would have lasted longer.

I replaced the Maverick probes with Oregon Scientific probes which are much thicker and now I'm confident the unit will run fine for years to come.
I'm concerned about this with the Kamado. I'm putting in the felt gaskets, though, so I'm thinking about putting a small break in the felt for the wires to pass through.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #13
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Save your money! It's crap! Although for some it works fine, chances are you'll get 90 days worth of use and it'll die...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
SacramentoHusker
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Save your money! It's crap! Although for some it works fine, chances are you'll get 90 days worth of use and it'll die...
Do you have an alternative that isn't like JEM and truly, truly, TRULY outrageous ... ly priced?

Old 09-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #15
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've never really found the need for a remote thermometer. I use a couple of these...

http://thebbqgrail.com/2008/10/11/pr...a-thermometer/

Using the WSM or UDS (and as I understand it, ceramics) once you set the temp it's stable for hours. I just pop out once in awhile and check the temp.

I gave up on remote ones because, for the most part, they don't work long enough to justify the cost.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermometer