Best uses for cherry wood?

BBQCookin

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My brother just had 2 cherry trees cut down and I took most of the wood. I usually use apple wood: any suggestions as to best meats to smoke with cherry?

Cherry is my personal favorite and I like it with everything. Ribs, Poultry, pork butt. Add in a little apple or oak for beef and you are all set.

Cherry is not good for anything - box it up and send it to me - I don't want you to ruin your Q.

Cherry is good with just about everything.... lucky you!

I like it for pork and chicken, I have not tried it with beef yet.

I love cherry for everything.......just be sure to use it soon ( I like it seasoned 3 to 6 months). Recently started burning some cherry that was well seasonond (4 years out) and the smoke was awful, that stuff will go into the wood stove:sad:

My local grocery chain had bags of cherry chips for $1.79. I picked up 2 and am now more excited to try it out. I'd say something about cherries and first times but I'm not in woodpile and don't feel like going to the penalty box. I'm a first time cherry user as well. Good score brother!

You scored... that is my favorite wood...It's good for everything... especially good mixed with oak on beef...

Cherry is WONDERFUL for smoking everything! It can be a pain to split. Here's what I do: let it dry until you see the wood cracking on the ends. Then take your chain saw (or a machete) and slit the bark right at the end of one of the cracks. Cherry bark is like Kevlar, holds the log together amazingly well. Slit the bark and then it splits great.

I use it for pork and beef and would use it on chickens and fish too if I were to smoke those.

SPB

I am in complete agreement, Cherry is good for everything, nice mild smoky flavor. You are a lucky guy! Nice score....

Cherry is our favorite also. We use Black Cherry. It has a mild smoky flavor. We add a little bit of hickory or beechnut.

Once you've smoked a few pieces of meat with the wood, the absolute BEST uses
are to box up about 20 lbs and send them (a bunch of boxes) to your bbq-brethren
friends.

Cherry is my personal favorite and I like it with everything. Ribs, Poultry, pork butt. Add in a little apple or oak for beef and you are all set.

Same as Smokin D here, i use it for everything

Back