Mushroom help needed

lemur

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone know the secret to getting upscale restaurant flavour\juiciness\color?...Ive beaten my rice bugaboo and now want to conquer shrooms.

TIA
rob

Saute them on low in BUTTER until they just start to sweat off most of their water. Salt and pepper only

Grill Portobellos over med high heat with olive oil and balsamic vinegar until just tender.

Mushrooms are almost all water in content... I dry sautée them.

Conventional wisdom about mushrooms dictates that you keep them dry -- brush them off instead of soaking or rinsing -- and then cook them quickly in a hot pan without crowding. The reasoning is that mushrooms act like tiny sponges and soak up water if you get them wet. Second, because mushrooms contain so much water, if you crowd them in the sautée pan, or don't cook them quickly, they'll steam instead of browning.

Dry mushrooms are very porous. When you heat up a pan with oil or butter and add dry mushrooms, they soak up the fat and never let go of it. You end up with browned but greasy mushrooms.

To dry sautée, simply add your cleaned mushrooms or other watery food to a hot pan that has nothing in it; no oil, no butter, no water, no spices. Nothing. The heat will release the liquids from the foods and they will brown and get a really nice texture. Stir often to prevent burning and cook until the natural juices have evaporated. You should do this over medium high heat.

Never crowd the pan if you are using one. A lot in one pan will cause them to steam and release all there juices and go,flat in flavor. I go cast iron skillet over hot hot coals. Sauté some oiive oil garlic and shallots about 2 minutes. Throw the shrooms in and toss about 2 min. They will soak up the oil and appear dry but that's when the magic happens. They sort of roast/sauté and it superfi's the flavor. You can add a bit more oil if you feel the need but they are fine. Add pepper and rosemary and a tbsp or two of butter and toss 1 min. Finally right at the end add salt. Salt naturally brings out moisture so you don't want to add it until the end especially with shrooms. Sauté 30 seconds and serve

Back