Competition Results

Cap5233

Got Wood.
Reaction score
First off, big thank you to all the brethren. This site has been invaluable. Anyways, had a competition this weekend in Orlando and this was the first one where I had to cook all 4 categories.
IMG_0322.jpg
The overall cook went well but my chicken took on a weird form while cooking and the pit temp spiked so I figured chicken would be a lost cause. Here is a pick of the prepped chicken and the turn in box
IMG_0327.jpg
IMG_0330.jpg
Butt and ribs cooked up just the way I wanted.
IMG_0332.jpg
IMG_0331.jpg
And finally the brisket. Oh the brisket....I was terrified and had done a few practice attempts but were not totally in love with the results. On this one I pulled it just like you all say "probe tender". It had a nice little wobble in the flat and I thought maybe I did it. After a rest, I was very pleased with the results
IMG_0333.jpg
So finally the awards came.......I got a call in chicken, 2nd as a matter of fact. I kept asking the mc if she had that right. I guess the taste made up for the non uniform appearance. After this I also go a call in ribs (3rd), pork (3rd), and a first in brisket. I knew I was in the running at this point for grand champion and sure enough I took home the hardware.
IMG_0334.jpg

Still cant believe it and I cant wait for my next competition.

Nicely done! Did you cook all categories on the two WSMs in your signature?

Last edited:
I did cook on both wsm. Ran the brisket on the big amd the butt on the small. When the ribs were ready, the butt and brisket were wrapped so I threw them on the 22 inch bottom level with ribs up top. Let the small one come up to a higher temp for the chicken and only did the chicken on that till it's turn in. Then I was able to get the small temp down and finished the brisket on it.

Also this was my second competition but only the first with all four categories. The other I did only had chicken and ribs (backyard)

Great job! I think the chicken looks pretty even, and looks good, except there is no KCBS parsley garnish in that box. :grin::caked:

In your boxes I didn't see garnish. I would love to turn in non garnished boxes at a KCBS and do that well. Congrats and maybe I will stay away from the garnish next time.

This was an FBA (Florida bbq association) competition and they are strictly no garnish in the boxes just meat.

Outstanding!
Congratulations!!!!

I'd say the hook is sufficiently set now. :becky:

Back