Beef Ribs....What temp do you pull off the smoker?

Rez90

Reaction score
I did beef ribs last weekend for the first time. I've read to pull them anywhere from 150-185...

I pulled them at 160 after about 6 hours at 225 and while they were delcious they were a little tough. Would waiting till 180+ have made the difference? Thanks

5jgl.jpg

I suspect waiting would make a very large difference. I would also do a probe test like with brisket.

I have no clue. I cook them until they are probe tender. I've never paid attention to internal temp.

But, I'm pretty sure that 160 isn't enough. The fact that they were tough sys that they were undercooked.

The look great, BTW.

I never go by temperature, cook them until the meat shrinks from the bone and it almost feels like the bone will pull out, rest for a few minutes until they tighten then slice.

Are you sure your smoker is running at 225? It seems to me that your smoker might be running a little lower than 225 if you can smoke for 6 hours and the ribs are still not done.
For doneness, I usually use a toothpick and if it goes into the meat with very little resistance, then it's done for me.
BTW, the ribs look so good right now. I wish I could get meaty ribs like that around here.

Pull them when they probe like butter. I'm guessing that this would probably be 180*F+, but I don't go by temp.

same here. no temp. to pull. when the meat has pulled back from the bone about 1/2 way and they look really done and probe tender, i cook another hour or so.

Beef ribs are easily 200+ to render out all the fat. Those musta pulled out some teeth? ;)

I also never pay attention to internal temp. They're done when they're probe tender which could be a long time with beef ribs.

Back