MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
rocketmanray
Full Fledged Farker

Default Pit barrel smoker lighting technique - really??

I had to share this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=RDPFV9xdWZk

May be a repeat, if so disregard.

Cute horseshoe handles though...

RMR
rocketmanray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
JandJbuidasmoker
Full Fledged Farker

ahhh... I can't see it??

Old 04-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

What?? The lighter fluid?? Nothing wrong with it if you roll that way.

I don't, so I use a chimney to light a few coals and then place them in the basket to do a minion style burn.

You have to look at it from a marketing stand point (this has been discussed before) but Noah's market for the PBC was to be for people that want a no nonsense cooker that is easy to use and light and turns out quality Q with little effort. Idk about you, but lighter fluid is a pretty simple way to start charcoal, albeit not the greatest idea in the minds of some of the BBQ world elite (again not his intended market). Even brethren have used the PBC with lighter fluid :gasp: and still have turned out quality Q with no adverse effects. The 20 min window is plenty of time to allow the fluid to fully burn off.

Its all about marketing my friend..

Old 04-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I suspect they suggest using lighter fluid because your average joe rookie backyard griller will think buying and using a chimney is gonna be too much work. You can use a chimney or any number of other ways to light a pbc. Guess what? You can also adjust the intake hole to cook at whatever temp you want.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Progressive reaction ---- my comments increase in tact and diplomacy the farther they go down.

Comment one....(Barbefunkoramaque Mod) people that think lighting a load of coals with lighter fluid is ****ed up can go **** themselves. They are ****ers that know just enough to say stupid **** like "I can't believe he is using fluid to start charcoal." Or worse, "bbq is a lot of things, one thing it's not is lighter fluid" or the perennial phrase worthy of a bullet to the head "i can taste the fluid no matter who uses it." Go **** yourself.

Comment adaptation two (Popdaddy Mod) - I guess the use of fluid came be alarming to a dumb ass novice who probably can't use the **** anyway. Next your gonna say white smoke is bad and foil can or cannot be used... People this new to the BBQ Arts also prescribe to the "low and slow death march" then wonder why in secret their brisket it ****.

Comment adaptation three - (Pitmaster T Mod) I think as you gain experience up until you become a master of the pit arts, you may need to stay away from fluid. Most don't know how to use it... present company included as you are inferring it may be wrong. If you ever need a lesson or want to gain knowledge on how to use fluid to start a fire ask myself or some other master.

Comment adaptation four - (Teachmaster T) Final Answer - Noah is addressing an important point... not everyone may be as knowledgeable or patient as you so some may see charcoal and buy lighter fluid. So... he may as well comment on how to light it safely. Not everyone also has the discerning taste of a master, so they may not see the problem with it. Noah also comments elsewhere and in the literature itself that one can simply light the fire with the fire ring in the pit by pour on coals from a chimney. So he addresses it either way. One has to remember this product, although it appeals to a master like myself and many others here, also appeals to the guy with a 1996 Sable (so he can transport it), thats's newly divorced and living in an apartment with a little patio.

And I think I have proven it might be dangerous in the right hands as the damn thing cooks up a storm... either way... whether I lit it with fluid or not... it was irrelevant that I did.

Already addressed in this video at 9:20.

One other thing.... I find I spill too damn much these days when pouring the coals into the PBC after they are hot. LOL I made a hook to place it in the pit AFTER its lit.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Yeah, sure Donnie, I see your point. Using lighter fluid is harmless as using foil.

Edict.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

I have been using pam (the GFS version but same stuff) sprayed on paper towel to light the chimney per a brethren suggestion, works great but it does not smell like roses either, but once the material in the chimney hits 1000f plus any smell is long gone.
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
Elfmaze
On the road to being a farker

I do miss the old days of The atomic fireball after using half the bottle of fluid on the weber. But its soo easy to chimney it I almost prefer it.

Would be cool to fireball from inside the drum! think it could shoot a giant smoke ring?
Elfmaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfmaze View Post
I do miss the old days of The atomic fireball after using half the bottle of fluid on the weber. But its soo easy to chimney it I almost prefer it.

Would be cool to fireball from inside the drum! think it could shoot a giant smoke ring?

You sir, should invest in a weed burner. Nothing like using a propane powered flame thrower and running it wide open!

Old 04-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

I can't go for the lighter fluid, but at least this guy uses briquettes instead of lump. How can people believe the hype that lump is better than briquettes?? Briquettes are processed and pressed into a scientifically efficient shape. Lump is just charred wood. They don't go to the trouble or expense to do things right with lump. It's cheaper to make that way.

It's like going to Piggly Wiggly and having a choice between a nekkid ribeye and one sealed in spices and marinade in a bag. The extra processing costs more, but it is scientifically proven to make the meat juicier and more flavorful. The bag is an extra expense too.

I would rather cook and eat like a sophisticated human being than a caveman!

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
And coming home to the wife smelling like BBQ smoke and sticky sauce will certainly cover up the fact that the little hottie turned your face into a glazed donut.... ehhh ehhh ehhhhhhhhhh
Does your health insurance cover therapy? You may need to talk to someone.

Mental health issues aren't the stigma that they used to be. The only shame would be in not getting the help you need.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevZiLLa View Post

I would rather cook and eat like a sophisticated human being than a caveman!
Posted on a BBQ forum... pure comedy!

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #13
dbq
Full Fledged Farker

Anybody seen Myron light a fire?

Old 04-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #14
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
Does your health insurance cover therapy? You may need to talk to someone.

Mental health issues aren't the stigma that they used to be. The only shame would be in not getting the help you need.

Eric

Well... there's always the "unfriend" button.

Edict.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #15
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmanray View Post
I had to share this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=RDPFV9xdWZk

May be a repeat, if so disregard.

Cute horseshoe handles though...

RMR
Lighter Fluid? Lighter Fluid? OMFG!

Chimney. Oil-soaked paper towel. 2 Sheets of newspaper. Match. Done.