• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

$329 "Performer"-Style Akorn Kamado Sighted

Home Depot couldn't give away the Vision Kamado Pro and they discontinued the $329 performer last year.

Maybe this will sell.

True, but Home Depot is really, really bad at this. They never stick with a product long enough for it to get traction and their sales people are not properly trained to sell the products for the 20 seconds Home Depot actually keeps a product on hand. It's a really bad combination. lol.

I think this new cart model is pretty interesting, but to be honest, it's neither a deal breaker or deal maker for me, personally, and given my cooking space, I like the mobility of the old tripod version. I've been going back and forth between getting an Akorn or a ceramic kamado for months now, and have decided with the cookers I already own, the Akorn will suit my needs nicely, and with no regrets. I'm likely to pull the trigger on a standard 3-wheel Akorn before the weekend.

That said, I'm going to be really interested in following this cooker and it's marketing. Am I the only one that has to wonder if a kamado maker seems to be squarely modeling itself after a Weber product with similar price point, you'd have to think there has to have been a meeting at Weber at some point weighing the pros and cons of entering the kamado market -- particularly the steel body one given their quality in that area and the way the Steel Keg and Akorn marketing has gone so far... right?

I agree Scott and I will also probably go with the Lowe's Model !! Close to my house and the salesman went the extra mile for Me, trying to get the new model !!I bet too that Weber will be looking into the Steel Kamado also !!

True, but Home Depot is really, really bad at this. They never stick with a product long enough for it to get traction and their sales people are not properly trained to sell the products for the 20 seconds Home Depot actually keeps a product on hand. It's a really bad combination. lol.

Sales people? Home Depot has sales people?

I bet too that Weber will be looking into the Steel Kamado also !!

I don't know- I can't imagine weber making a kamado. Anything weber did make kamado-wise, I would think the price would be so high that you might as well just get one from an already established kamado maker. Plus, almost all of the weber grills are made in the usa, so weber would either have to 1) make it in the usa and charge a decent amount more or b) import it and go against a lot of what I regard weber as being. Either way, if they make one, I'm not sure if I myself would consider it a weber.

Not actually predicting any new Weber product lines. Just saying it would have been interesting to listen in on the discussion I'm sure they've had.

But just to play devil's advocate? This could be the same climate at Weber as it was just before they starting producing propane grills. Food for thought... :wink:

Last edited:
I went to HD today and there was no sign of this cooker there, so I asked. The woman spent 15 minutes looking for it in their system. It isn't there. It isn't on the HD website. It isn't even on the Char-griller web site. Does this thing really exist? The Bigfoot of Komado cookers. :) B

I went to HD today and there was no sign of this cooker there, so I asked. The woman spent 15 minutes looking for it in their system. It isn't there. It isn't on the HD website. It isn't even on the Char-griller web site. Does this thing really exist? The Bigfoot of Komado cookers. :) B

Honestly? My guess is we're WAY ahead of the curve here. A week or three and we'll see them all over. :) but if you see one, snap a pic! Maybe we'll get on "In Search Of..."

Char-Griller web site leaves a Lot to be desired....the only thing I could find Kamado related was the add on's that You can buy for the Akorn. The Model #6520 is what my LOwe's rep. asked about...so it must be in the system somewhere..!! Only time will tell I guess !

The table is a great idea. Even better if they addressed some of the issues many of us owners have had. Competition is a wonderfull thing.

Any news on this? I'm looking to enter the Kamado market. I'm very interest in the AKorn. I currently use a Weber Performer and a Weber Summit gasser. I would absolutly buy a Weber Kamado in a second at almost any price point!

I've said this before, but even though I think weber should build a kamado, I seriously don't see that happening.

Look at Weber's line up. They are dependable, long lasting, durable and not the least bit innovative. If you look at Weber's charcoal grills, they are for the most part repackaging the same concept over and over. Except for the GA, their idea of "branching out" is "make it smaller...now make it bigger...ok now put it in a table...now a different table...What?!?! You want me to make it bigger AND put it in a table? No WAY! that's way too much!!!"

I can't see them jumping on the steel kamado bandwagon any time soon.

have seen the chargriller smokers including the acorn smoker at Kroger every year and every year if you are patient enough to wait till late summer they sell them at like 50% off just to get rid of them before winter at least that has been my experience here.I passed up last years model akorn the black one, my neighbor has it and modded it from videos online it runs like a champ they wanted $149.00 or 169.00 they originally wanted 299.00 was in Georgia on vacation so didn't go get it drank on the beach instead

I keep checking at Home Depot, but they don't know a thing about it. It isn't in their database and they have gotten their new shipments of grilling merch. I'm not sure it is going to happen.

I could be mistaken, but i thought the last year's models were only sold at Lowe's and not Home Depot?

Supposedly, this new version with a built in table is made specifically for HD.

Back