Is 99 cents a pound worth it?

Should NCGrimbo buy those Boston Butts?

• Nope. Saving cash isn't worth the loss of sleep.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like to cook #8 - #10 butts. I've always had more difficulty getting good results with 4# - 6# butts. I didn't think that I was alone. So, your question caught me a bit off guard. But, I also have a drum that is pretty much set and forget. Maybe if I had a smoke that required constant feeding I would sing a different tune.

I totally agree cooking hotter is one way to speed it up. I also think trimming a pound or two off of each to grind up for sausage isn't a bad idea. (WHAT? You don't have a grinder? BANNED! :p ) And, I also think that passing on sales rather than loading up with more than you can handle and having stuff end up wasted rather than spending $5 - $10 more down the road is okay too. Do what makes sense to you, not us crazy zealots on the internet. We're not really real.

.99 is a farkin' great deal, the last time they were on sale for .99 here, I loaded the freezer. And a 8-10 lb. butt is normal sized, not anywhere near humongous. And it sure don't take 12 hours to cook a 10-lb. butt, unless you're cooking at some ridiculously low temp. I can cook 10-lb. butts in 8 hours or less, and that's not hurrying, that's making them turn out great. Cook at 250-275 degrees for a few hours until the internal hits about 170 and they stall. If you want to speed it up then, you can wrap in foil and put it back in the smoker to save an hour or two and it'll still be great.

I look for 8-10 pounders. If you're having for lunch, cook overnight. Dinner, put it on at around 6:00AM at 275.

What are you cooking on Grimbo? Is there not anyway you can set your smoker up around midnight and then get some sleep for a few hours?

I cook on a small SpiceWine. With the wood shelf packed, I can get between 5 and 6 hours before I need to refuel.

Don't you own a stoker? Put that bad boy to work! Stock up on 99 cent butts!

I do and I will. Still won't get me through a 9+ hour cook without the need to feed the fire.

Have you bought them yet?

:-D

I've been convinced by all the loving comments I got here to pick a few up. So I'll be stopping at the store on my way home.

90 percent of responders think Grimbo's lazy. We already knew Ronelle just lies there. Does willkat98 EVER have any fun?

He has plenty of fun. Just ask him. :becky:

-NCGrimbo

I started to reach in to grab a few when it dawned on me that if this hunk of meat took 1.5 hours per pound that I was looking at a 12 hour cook time. For me, running the smoker for 12 hours is longer than I like and one of the reasons I don't do brisket that often. So I stopped myself from grabbing one and continued my shoppping.

The problem is that it's been over 12 hours and I'm still thinking about those hunks of meat. If I get one, I'll have to go to bed early on Friday and get up around 8:00 on a Saturday, something I don't usually do.

So, I've posted a poll and I'd like everyone's opinion.

-NCGrimbo

Don' forget to calculate the rest time after the cook into the equation....

definitely stock up, and cook a little hotter...275° or so, and you'll still get great results

I bought about 50#'s last month @$.99/lb. Had the burcher cut a few into 1 1/2-2 inch steaks, some 1" steaks and a few bone in country ribs. If you have the freezer capacity hit the road running. You can always grind some up for sausage if that fits your life style.

i usually start mine around 6am ...if it takes 12 hours so be it ...the problem i have found is i wont start drinking beer till at least 11am so what the heck do i do for the first 5 hours

Cook at higher temp as recommended early. Place on the smoker at 10am and and it will be finished by dinner time. Enjoy a nice cold beverage and let the TBS do its thing. I'd see how fast I could get back over there and buy a couple!

8-9 pounders are the best! $ .99/lb is a steal...I'm paying $1.59/lb case price after discount up here, and thats a good deal. Pork prices in my area are up 50% since February. GRAB THEM!

you can also make it as pork steaks, or sausage. Or buckboard bacon

get some

dont F around.

They make great country style pork ribs. You can cut out the bone and slice them about 1&1/2" thick. Rub em and on the smoker for around 5 hours and they are awesome!!!

Can't remember the local add, but it's .99 per lb for either the butt or the shoulder.

My son and his buds all but wiped out the 13 pounds of butts I made Saturday.

I'm going to grab one or two and try my hand at injection.

Back