Thanks Iowa Judges and Teams

BBQ_Mayor

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Today we did a small cook, ribs and chicken, to get feedback from certified judges and to give feedback to the judges. It was a great success. I must say I was overwhelm by the amount of response and willingness for this educational judging and cook session.
It was great to hear from the judges first hand why they scored the way they did and to come to an understanding as to what the judges are more looking for. A good time was had by all and think maybe next year we will do a whole cook. Thank you teams and judges for supporting this idea. I hope you both became more knowledgeable in BBQ cooking and judging.:clap2:
I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Ray

Sounds cool. Was this a formal "event" or just something you did? Really sounds like a good idea and should be developed!

Sounds cool. Was this a formal "event" or just something you did? Really sounds like a good idea and should be developed!

Just something we (Smokehouse 72) put together. We thought it would help us all to get become more informed on both sides before the season really got going. It was a great time! If we do it again, it may be more formal next year but will be limited. We have ideas for next year. We'll keep people in tune if it comes to reality.

Did my invite get lost in the mail? :tape:

I sent Don an email and talked to him at class about it. I guess he decide you guys didn't need the input. You guys are always welcome, I'll make sure to send it to both of you next time.

I judged yesterday and I got a lot of information from the cooks.The feed back was great.We sat down with each cooking team about why we gave them the scores.I also spent most of the day talking to the cooks about smokers,cooking ideas,and competition cooking.I have been thinking about competition cooking next year.I will be looking for another smoker and getting feed back about smokers from the cooks will help me pick my new smoker.I hope Ray does this again next year.I may be on the other side of the table.It would be a good start for a beginner.Thanks Smoke House 72.

I'll score down your chicken and youse two can bitch about the judging.....Ed

That's about right, Ed. :-D

I was one of the judges, also. It was a good experience for all of us, I think. The cooks got to hear why they got each score from each judge and the judges had to justify why we gave each score. After all the judging was finished each cook came into the judging "tent" one by one and each judge gave the cook their scores for appearance, taste & tenderness with the reasons for those scores, then on to the next judge.

All of the cooks (seven cooking teams were there) were able to question any of the judges if they wanted more explanation on a score or what they (the cook) could do to raise the score. We had seven judges - one Master CBJ with about 50 comps judged, two almost MCBJs with 30 or more comps judged, three CBJs with 10 to 20 comps judged, one non-CBJ and our Table Captain was a MCBJ.

I had a blast doing this :clap2: and look forward to being invited next year. Thanx guys for putting this on!

Last edited:
sounds like a great idea--educational for all involved

Great idea. BTW, I say the video of your new trailer on FB (Smokehouse 72) and that thing is awesome! Great job.

Great idea. BTW, I say the video of your new trailer on FB (Smokehouse 72) and that thing is awesome! Great job.

Thanks Nate. we are happy with how it came out. Hope the first trip goes flawlessly in the mechanical department. I know we'll we be working on getting things in the right place for awhile.
You'll get a tour in CB.

Nice job by you guys. A totally innovative idea to make everyone better.

Here are the pics

judge - Dave (Rookie48) and cook - Matt (watertowerbbq)
100_0487.jpg
From left to right (brethren name)
Matt(Watertowerbbq), Pat (Pat), Mike (BigMikesBBQ), David Hintz, Bob (herbkabob), Rick Dodd, Jay (Shotgun)
100_0485.jpg

The other pics are Mike (thenewguy) working on his ribs, questions and answers after the judging. This worked out pretty well. Each team went in one by one to get reviewed then at the end we all discussed. Last pics were of some of the desserts made by kenna Jo and my wife.

Attachments

• 100_0486.jpg
    100_0486.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_0491.jpg
    100_0491.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_0489.jpg
    100_0489.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 38
Nice job by you guys. A totally innovative idea to make everyone better.
Dont know about making everyone better part, but couldnt hurt. Cant think of a another way to really educate cooks and judges, but in a real live setting. I think what suprised me the most was how much the judges enjoyed it and really got something out of it. Looking for bigger and better next year.

Jay, I've always felt that it's not enough to say "I didn't like that so I gave it a ___". A judge should be able to explain the reasons behind any score that he/she gives at any time. I think that this gave some judges their first experience with doing that.

Back