MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:10 AM   #76
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
OK - reality check. There are maybe 20 people on this thread talking about this. They may even have Pissed off another hundred. The BOD made a decision to control what is brodcast at a KCBS event. The Jack and Royal are not KCBS sponsored events. I agree with their decision. Having said that I also agree with Thom that the BOD needs to work on next year and have something in place well ahead that will work for everybody. Remember that the KCBS is now a million dollar industry with contests in the 4-5 million payouts so their image and brand are important

OK, reality check: 73,00 hits. Hum, that's a few more than 20. Maybe you should have checked your facts first.

In this age of cell phone video recorders, anybody can make a recording and post it. I'm sure there would be some good ones at the after party but people recording them could be in peril, either then or after posting them on the web.

Agreed.

Maybe the KCBS should conduct a poll of members asking if they would watch a live video of the banquet if it was brodcast. My bet is not many would say yes.

Refer to the above number. I believe you will be wrong again.
Quote:
To all those asking me questions on my post here's my opinion.

I have not listened to the MP3 of the meeting yet. I'd wish I had time to but I've been traveling from Florida to Chicago. So I don't know what was discussed. What I do know is that 10 elected BOD members all agreed on this topic so there must be a good reason. And we elected this BOD and they are running things so we need to try supporting the BOD instead of always tearing them down because we don't agree with how they vote.

So, we should just blindly support these folks just because they got elected? Nope, no way, not a chance. This is America for crying out loud, we are allowed to support or question, even evict those who we elected that are not following our best interest. And if there is a "good reason" then we should be told what that is instead of hiding it or going into secret session.

If I'm elected to the BOD I will vote for what I think is best for the KCBS as an organization and for it's future. Some people will not agree with how I vote. That's just a fact no matter who gets elected. Hopefully all those elected will look at what's best for the KCBS not for them or a group of friends.

As long as I'm writing, I also believe that contests are the lifeblood of the KCBS and that means cooks, judges, reps, organizers and volunteers. But there's a lot more to the KCBS and it's time we start putting some of our money into what the KCBS is about. That's promoting BBQ and doing good deeds. After all the KCBS is a 501C isn't it.
Quote:
Did you actually write the BOD for an answer? That's the only appropriate way to communicate with them. Posting on Forums is not.

Did you read what he wrote? He said that they failed to respond to his request. That's why he is posting it here, to get the truth out. He communicated appropriately, it was them who did not.
I'm sorry but I cannot support you for the BOD. You do have some good ideas but unfortunately you come off as arrogant and short sided. That is not the kind of person we need IMHO.

Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Old 12-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #77
dbaldin
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Not on WiredBBQ you didn't.

Quote:
Just trying to lighten up this thread. I've seen some YouTube videos of folks at parties doing some really stupid things. It used to be it was a "private" party but it no longer is with all the technology in a cell phone and the websites to post it to.
I've seen a dancing chipmunk on YouTube before. Doesn't mean that is what we shoot or post.

This discussion is not about the party. This is about the banquet. Is giving awards, and receiving awards regarded as "really stupid things"? That's all we WERE interested in shooting.

Last edited by dbaldin; 12-24-2010 at 12:54 PM..
dbaldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #78
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Did you actually write the BOD for an answer? That's the only appropriate way to communicate with them. Posting on Forums is not.

It sure seems that some BOD use this forum when it suits their needs. I totally disagree with your comment.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #79
C-Town Smoker
Full Fledged Farker

I can see where they might not want to have video of all the goings on...it is a membership deal. Perhaps there could have been a separate room set up for interviews and whatnot...I wonder if my "radio" set up would have faired any better since I have no cameras and would not be waling around...I would book guests at times to do spots. Good to know for future planning.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #80
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Media Row just like Super Bowl Week :)

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #81
leanza
Babbling Farker

Ford, with all due respect and you certainly deserve respect. I think you would bring "more of the same" to the BOD.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #82
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
To all those asking me questions on my post here's my opinion.

I have not listened to the MP3 of the meeting yet. I'd wish I had time to but I've been traveling from Florida to Chicago. So I don't know what was discussed. What I do know is that 10 elected BOD members all agreed on this topic so there must be a good reason. And we elected this BOD and they are running things so we need to try supporting the BOD instead of always tearing them down because we don't agree with how they vote.

If I'm elected to the BOD I will vote for what I think is best for the KCBS as an organization and for it's future. Some people will not agree with how I vote. That's just a fact no matter who gets elected. Hopefully all those elected will look at what's best for the KCBS not for them or a group of friends.

As long as I'm writing, I also believe that contests are the lifeblood of the KCBS and that means cooks, judges, reps, organizers and volunteers. But there's a lot more to the KCBS and it's time we start putting some of our money into what the KCBS is about. That's promoting BBQ and doing good deeds. After all the KCBS is a 501C isn't it.
If you are elected you will vote for what's best for the KCBS? In reality, you should be representing the members interest and not your opinion of what's best for KCBS. There are a lot of members out here who do not agree what some of the BOD members are doing. And those BOD members keep saying they are doing what's best for KCBS. To me, it becomes their agenda and not listening to people. At contests, forums, gatherings and through the BBQ Commraderie, you can find out what the members want.

I polled the members once and actually voted against what I thought was best for KCBS because it wasn't what the members wanted. I was elected to do what they asked and so I did.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #83
Jeff_in_KC

Well said, Bunny. I agree whole-heartedly. You REPRESENT those who voted for you. You don't vote how YOU think we want things.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #84
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
If you are elected you will vote for what's best for the KCBS? In reality, you should be representing the members interest and not your opinion of what's best for KCBS. There are a lot of members out here who do not agree what some of the BOD members are doing. And those BOD members keep saying they are doing what's best for KCBS. To me, it becomes their agenda and not listening to people. At contests, forums, gatherings and through the BBQ Commraderie, you can find out what the members want.

I polled the members once and actually voted against what I thought was best for KCBS because it wasn't what the members wanted. I was elected to do what they asked and so I did.
Can you please run for public office ? I would vote for you in a heartbeat!!!
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #85
Jorge

Quote:

That's a philosophy that I'd hope that the entire board, past, present, and future would have, could have, should adhere to.

On the other hand, based on the information available about many issues I don't know that as a member I have sufficient information to make any sort of informed judgment a lot of the time. In many cases that isn't the way things have to be. If the board was more focused on planning and managing the growth of the Society, rather than dealing with trivial details, there would be ample time during meetings for discussion one month and a decision after getting input from membership during the intervening month.

In the long run, I believe that you'd have a membership that is more informed and more involved. In a perfect world the board would be more responsive and in tune with where membership is on the various IMPORTANT issues.

In the case of a decision that needed to be made in a more timely manner, I've got no choice other than trusting that the membership has made the proper choice at election time. I can live that, no matter what the results are. That's one reason I tried to determine what leadership and management qualities various candidates have this year.

Competition BBQ is a means to the end contained in the KCBS mission statement; that's a fact. In the last several years competition BBQ HAS changed, for better or worse depending on who you talk to. In that same period of time, I've seen little or no substantial change in the way KCBS operates for the most part. I hear people talk about how things used to be better, and others talk about how much better they can be, but very few that talk about being happy with how things are now. That tells me some things need to change.

I think that window for change is open for another year, maybe two. If the membership doesn't take ownership of this society, and the board doesn't focus on what's truly important for the growth and long term survivability of that same society they have been entrusted to guide there is going to be a void that somebody else will fill. As a consumer I may patronize both for a period of time, but at the end of the day the organization that provides the superior product will earn my business.

My .05

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #86
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sue View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded to my polls about webcasting the banquet. The issue arose that this was brought to the board for approval too late for more than one party to present a proposal to do it. It was voted down unanimously.

This is my statement and my statement only and does not reflect any other opinions at KCBS.
Quote:

You said in an earlier post that it was voted down unanimously. Did you vote on this topic?

EDIT: I went to KCBS website and found the notes.

Quote:
Candy Weaver made a motion to approve Wired Barbeque permission to do a live webcast at the Banquet. The motion was seconded by Tana Shupe.

Vote:
0 yes, 10 no, 0 abstentions
The motion to give permission to Wired Barbeque to provide a live webcast, fails.
Why did you vote "No"?

Last edited by Rich Parker; 01-06-2011 at 04:45 PM..
Rich Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #87
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

Directors aren't elected to do what the members tell them to do. Directors are elected because the members have faith in their judgment. The legal duty of a director is to use good judgment and take action in the best interest of the Association. It's not to take polls and follow the whims of the forums.

Don't get me wrong, considering the viewpoints of the members (and having an open enough mind to consider other viewpoints) is an important part of being a Director. But, ultimately, we elect Directors to use their judgment and cast the votes they think should be cast. Otherwise, how likely is it the painful but necessary decisions would ever be made?

For example, if the Board had followed the perceived popular will, the MMA deal would never have been approved. I think the majority of members now think the MMA deal was a good one for the association. That certainly wasn't the case a few years ago.

And, more importantly, can you honestly say what you read at forums and hear at contests accurately reflects the opinion of a majority of KCBS members? If that were the case, guys like Phil, Jeff and John Markus would have been elected by wide margins.

I think your point was that some Directors may be charging ahead with an agenda, ignoring the views of the electorate. That's wrong too. Member input should be considered. But I think Ford is right here. If Ford is elected, his legal obligation is to make decisions using his best judgment. The buck stops with the Directors. If they make a dumb decision, they are the ones that could be legally liable. Saying "but that's what the members wanted!" is not a valid defense. Ultimately, a Director has to use his or her own judgment.

Erik

1x 14.5" WSM
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Blue Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #88
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

I agree with Jorge, Hopefully one day, the processes will be in place to get the board out of the day to day minutiae, so they can focus on strategy, and the future... instead of the here and now. I would hope a process could be implemented to allow the KCBS office to manage many of the contest approvals, requests... and filter what the board needs to address in the day to day functions. Essentially, it is run like an HoA board today... The board decides about your neighbors shingle color, yard height, trash pickup days, etc.... day to day stuff. Hopefully in the future it will be run more like a Corporate board -- That is working on a 5 yr view and strategic opportunities to pursue through years 1 and 3 .. and manage metrics to ensure the ship is pointed in the right direction. That we are pointing to the right targets. And maximizing opportunities to grow, as well as achieve our other goals of education etc. The bigger comps, the $$, all fall in line if the bigger targets are adhered to, and you have folks closer to the action (aka. KCBS office) are managing the day to day.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #89
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Quote:

I understand your emphasis here and I would agree to a certain extent.
Being in communication and responsive to the membership are of course
to be valued. But as Andy mentioned getting out in front with planning,
strategy and leadership are the real goals of a healthy board.

Yes ours currently is not.
Micromanagement and the self interest would seem the top priorities.

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #90
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

[QUOTE=Rich Parker;1504215]You said in an earlier post that it was voted down unanimously. Did you vote on this topic?

I'm not on the Board anymore. --Bunny