MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

Default 10' x 20' canopy

Competition season is around the corner and I am in need of a new canopy this year. I had one 10' x 10' EZ UP Canopy that was setup in my backyard and I came home from work on a windy day to find that it had blown down the street.
So, now I'm debating on whether I should buy two 10' x 10' EZ Up canopies, or is there a better built 10' x 20' canopy that I could buy that will withstand the elements in a competition?

[B]THE SMOKE 'N BARREL[/B] [COLOR=black][B]COMPETITION BBQ TEAM[/B][/COLOR][B] Seaford, NY[/B]
Backwoods Party named Woody
Weber One Touch Silver 22.5 (2x)
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5 (2x)
Ugly Drum Smoker named Rusty
[B][COLOR=red]Red[/COLOR][/B] Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen

[URL="http://www.thesmokenbarrel.blogspot.com/"]The Smoke 'N Barrel Blog[/URL] [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216?v=wall#!/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Facebook[/URL] [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/thesmokenbarrel"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Twitter[/URL]
Anchors Smokeshop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchors Smokeshop View Post
Competition season is around the corner and I am in need of a new canopy this year. I had one 10' x 10' EZ UP Canopy that was setup in my backyard and I came home from work on a windy day to find that it had blown down the street.
So, now I'm debating on whether I should buy two 10' x 10' EZ Up canopies, or is there a better built 10' x 20' canopy that I could buy that will withstand the elements in a competition?
I don't compete, but I have used the EZ Ups many times. I've found that if you have 2 canopies side-by-side and it DOES rain, you get a lot of water in between them. I'd say if you're looking for a 10x20 area, then get a 10x20 canopy. PERSONALLY, I prefer the 12x12 size for more room.

They sell a pretty nice 10x20 size canopy at Menard's (don't know if those are where you are) that's got metal poles and bungee-on style tarps for roof and walls that I've been considering picking up for our Cub Scout Pack. My brother's got a pretty nice 12x12 canopy (not EZ-Up brand) that has walls and all, but it cost him somewhere above $200.

For me (I'm a cheap arse) I've always been able to find canopies off of CL. I've bought 3 so far for around $60, which is a good deal. All 3 were brand new, maybe used once.

Good luck!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

I prefer two 10x10 EZ ups as opposed to one 10x20 that takes more people to get them up. I've not had problems with the rain too much.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

This is what I use. It is kind of heavy but two people can put it up easily. It is very sturdy in bad weather.

smokeyw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

In Seattle there would be no BBQ without canopies much of the time.

Another name for an erected canopy that isn't tied down is a KITE.
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-28-2011, 01:05 PM   #6
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

We're still working with two 10'x10' Caravan canopies, always with 240lbs of sandbags!

The other thing to consider is, are you ever going to be setting up/taking down this thing by yourself? The 10'x10's can be done by one person.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
Anchors Smokeshop
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post
This is what I use. It is kind of heavy but two people can put it up easily. It is very sturdy in bad weather.

This is what I had in mind. Where did you buy this and how much does it cost?

[B]THE SMOKE 'N BARREL[/B] [COLOR=black][B]COMPETITION BBQ TEAM[/B][/COLOR][B] Seaford, NY[/B]
Backwoods Party named Woody
Weber One Touch Silver 22.5 (2x)
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5 (2x)
Ugly Drum Smoker named Rusty
[B][COLOR=red]Red[/COLOR][/B] Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen

[URL="http://www.thesmokenbarrel.blogspot.com/"]The Smoke 'N Barrel Blog[/URL] [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216?v=wall#!/pages/The-Smoke-N-Barrel-Competition-BBQ-Team/124849310898216"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Facebook[/URL] [URL="http://twitter.com/#!/thesmokenbarrel"]The Smoke 'N Barrel on Twitter[/URL]
Anchors Smokeshop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchors Smokeshop View Post
This is what I had in mind. Where did you buy this and how much does it cost?
This is like the one that I was talking about at Menard's (I think Menard's is a midwest thing?) at HD....

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Ou...atalogId=10053

Old 01-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
ammoore
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
This is like the one that I was talking about at Menard's (I think Menard's is a midwest thing?) at HD....

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Ou...atalogId=10053

I have been using one of those for the past 3 yrs.
Yes they hold up but the downside is that they are very heavy to load and although I have put it up by myself, it is a real pain. Two people are best.

I got mine at SAMS for around 200, the brand on mine is KING CANOPY
Their website lists them as more expensive but I don't remember paying that much.
ammoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I got mine at Cabelas. It is the industrial one. The poles are bigger (2 inches) and heavier. The wall kit is separate.
smokeyw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

I have a 10x20 that sits in the shed most of the time - too heavy to haul around and takes two people to set up. Since I set up at contests solo, I've decided to stick to 10x10 EZ-Ups. If I go with two, I'm goinig to use a gutter between them to avoid the centerline dripping. A lot less time with set-up and tear-down, plus a lot lighter.
CBJ
Six UDS's, Traeger 125, Traeger Jr, two HD Off-sets, and a home-made Trailer mounted smoker
Funny Farm BBQ
[URL="http://www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us"]www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us[/URL]
[COLOR=darkred][B]***2010 Great American Barbecue Baste of the Year***[/B][/COLOR]
HarleyEarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #12
Tinybud
Take a breath!

I use the 10x20 canopy like the picture above, picked it up at Pep Boys, they run specials on them all the time, of 69 bucks, another 30 for the sidewalls, I can put it up myself without any issues, I picked up a nice canvas duffle bag that all the poles fit into, makes it nice and easy for transport, takes me about 15-20 minutes on my own to put it up. The brand I got from pep boys is Shelter Logic.
6ft. Southern Yankee
Meadow Creek Caterer's Delight 108
Caldera Tallboy
Tinybud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #13
Gerrit_Boys
Full Fledged Farker

A buddy of mine has a 10x20 KD Kanopy that he sets up alone alot. It's an aluminum frame so it's lighter than my 10x10 e-z-up and it sets up in about the same amount of time.

http://www.kdkanopy.com/canopies/majestic200.php
Gerrit_Boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2011, 12:30 AM   #14
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

That KD Kanopy looks great. Do you have any idea what the 10x20's sell for? Their web site doesn't list any prices.
CBJ
Six UDS's, Traeger 125, Traeger Jr, two HD Off-sets, and a home-made Trailer mounted smoker
Funny Farm BBQ
[URL="http://www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us"]www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us[/URL]
[COLOR=darkred][B]***2010 Great American Barbecue Baste of the Year***[/B][/COLOR]
HarleyEarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2011, 01:44 AM   #15
Bigmista

This the one we got from California Palms. Very sturdy and we got the screen side.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote