• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoking Turkey: Brine? Inject? Rub? Foil? Cooler?

Which of the following do you do when you smoke a turkey?

• Brine?

Votes: 54 74.0%
  • Inject?

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • Rub?

Votes: 52 71.2%
  • Foil?

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • Cooler?

Votes: 13 17.8%

• Total voters

wingnut

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
It's turkey time! I know there are lots of methods and processes, but what's YOUR way? When you smoke turkey, do you brine? inject?, rub?, foil?, cooler?

Last edited:
Mmmmmmmmmm.......

Smoked turkey.........YUM!!!!

I just voted "foil", bit then I realized that I assumed that to be "foil after removing". You probably meant "foil during cook" didn't you?

I don't usually do that, but perhaps I should...my birds always seen to turn out pretty dark.

I was asking foil during cooking, but if you foil it after that's good to know too. That's along the lines of coolering I guess. Although, not as air-tight.

I have never smoked a turkey before and my family has asked me to smoke one this year for Thanksgiving Dinner. I was hoping that I can get some tips on what I can do for the best results. Looking for tenderness and moisture. I will be using a Weber Smokey Mtn. Smoker 18 1/2".

I brine them and rub them. I prefer brining to injecting. Foiling the breast partway through cooking to shield it while the thigh finishes can help for unbrined birds, but for birned I don't find it THAT important. Only thing the cooler would be good for is if the bird is done too early.

I brine then refrigerate to let the skin dry, then put herbs under the skin and aromatics in side the cavity, then smoke, then remove and foil and cooler if needed, then carve, then eat, then make leftovers, then make more leftovers, then eat another sandwich, all the while taking photos.

I brine for about 12 hours then let it air-dry in the beer fridge for another 12 hours. Before I take it out of the fridge I set the bird on it's back with a bag of ice resting on the breast for about an hour. Then I give it a good rub inside & out, wrap it in cheesecloth, rub the cheesecloth with butter & put it on the smoker.

I brine, spatchcock, place sliced smoked sausage under the skin, then rub with butter and season with kosher salt and cracked black pepper.

The smoked sausage under the skin adds a lot of flavor and moisture to the bird.

100_4940-1.jpg

The smoked sausage works well with game hens too...

135-1.jpg

I can't help it, I'm Ghost Farking all over the place. Even all my old posts are now Ghost Farked!:lol:

I brine then refrigerate to let the skin dry, then put herbs under the skin and aromatics in side the cavity, then smoke, then remove and foil and cooler if needed, then carve, then eat, then make leftovers, then make more leftovers, then eat another sandwich, all the while taking photos.

Exactly!!

And as mentioned before, ice on the breast for 20 minutes, not more, not less. The breast and the thighs finish at the same time. I use the Mad Max recipe and he knows his stuff, it's Excellent!!

prep-7.jpg

I am a firm believer in KISS.
I just pulled off a breast that was brinied overnight.
Salt, sugar, and AJ.
Drained and wiped dry.
Let the skin dry for a couple of hours.
A light dusting of rub, not much at all.

Smoked to 170--on the Traeger with Cherry pellets--rested a bit--sliced--and chowed down.

I let the turkey speak on it's own merit.

Moist, flavorful, and "YUMS" :lol:

KISS works for me--Just my method.

TIM

Turkey Video

Haha, that was awesome! Thanks for sharing that.

How many of you guys spatchcock your turkey for smoking? Is that for space savings only? Other advantages?

Back