MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #76
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Awesome job, Phrasty! Glad I could help. Next time I'm in your area I'll swing by and check it out in person and we'll knock a few back!

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #77
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Country View Post
looks good, One of the things i have on my big smoker is lp ignition, I used a gas grill burner and regulator wired the burner to my wood rack in the fire box and just light it and throw the wood in after a few min pull the lp off and you have a good fire going its real nice when geting it fired up when you have other things that you need to be geting ready
I thought about doing that, but didn't see the point when all I have is a UDS. Might give it a shot if I ever build anything bigger. How do you seal up around the supply line while still providing enough air for the LP to burn?

Old 07-26-2010, 03:50 PM   #78
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

I like it. Personally, I like the double D doors. Probably less heat loss when you are checking on things and less recovery time, but I'm just guessing as I don't own a big stick burner like that.
Will you be attaching the firebox like that......level with the meat chamber or will it be lower than the meat chamber? You got some mean fabricating skillz! Keep us prondated!

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #79
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean "Puffy" Coals View Post
Awesome job, Phrasty! Glad I could help. Next time I'm in your area I'll swing by and check it out in person and we'll knock a few back!
Thanks Puffy! For sure... Gimme a heads up and we can definitely hang out and throw something on the grill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
I like it. Personally, I like the double D doors. Probably less heat loss when you are checking on things and less recovery time, but I'm just guessing as I don't own a big stick burner like that.
Will you be attaching the firebox like that......level with the meat chamber or will it be lower than the meat chamber? You got some mean fabricating skillz! Keep us prondated!

Bob
Hey Bob. I kinda wanted to do the double door as well but I thought with the vents on the door and an extra seal to deal with, the single door would be the better/easier and time conscious decision.

The firebox will be mounted approx. 10" below where it is now / 3" below the bottom food grate, like standard offsets.

Thanks for the compliment... all these "skillz" are self-taught. Out here if you want something done right you have to do it yourself! Well... its the better and cheaper way if you can make the time to do it. Plus I get it EXACTLY how I want it... I am a graphic designer... and unfortunately a perfectionist on top of it! I just hope I can get it sandblasted when the time comes and it turns out nice. I'd HATE to have to grind off the paint off this sucker!!! Thanks again Bredrin!

Cheers
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #80
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Sooo tired... Starting to feel the effects of this smoker on me.. This biznitch better feed me and treat me well! Spent all day grinder her box... ...uh I mean the firebox... Whatever, Got some decent progress on the firebox today... had to even out all the edges of the case and the door and check fit, adjust...check fit, adjust...check fit, adjust...check fit, adjust...check fit, adjust...check fit, adjust...check fit, adjust........ u get the idea. Being scrap I guess a couple pieces were bent a little... Kinda hard to get a bend out of a 2 foot 1/4" plate! Anyways when it FINALLY looked good enough I welded on the hinges (gonna add a 3rd one in the middle very soon), but the door seems pretty well supported. Once the door was on I started cutting and fitting the seals for it out of 1" angle iron. Once the seals were tacked on thankfully the fit was nice and snug. At that point I just about collapsed, had a drink, a smoke, grabbed the camera to snap a couple shots to keep you guys updated and called it a night...

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen-capture-321.jpg (49.7 KB, 1389 views)
File Type: jpg screen-capture-315.jpg (48.6 KB, 1340 views)
File Type: jpg screen-capture-318.jpg (85.7 KB, 1333 views)
File Type: jpg screen-capture-319.jpg (71.2 KB, 1335 views)
File Type: jpg screen-capture-320.jpg (54.0 KB, 1335 views)

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:44 AM   #81
countyliner
Full Fledged Farker

Looking good, Phrasty
countyliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #82
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

East side Crips tag in your area? Lookin Good!

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #83
crackher
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

this look s soooo cool
crackher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #84
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks like the Appleton's improved your welding skills. Still looking good!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #85
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

That's looking fantastic, man. Nice job!
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #86
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Looks like the Appleton's improved your welding skills. Still looking good!
Steadies the hand bredrin! Great stuff!!

Thinking I'm taking the day off the build today... Don't think I'll be doing too much to it. Have to catch up on some work too . So we'll see how all that goes as the day winds down.

Cheers

Old 07-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #87
gtsum
Babbling Farker

this is just so impressive imo....it is really making me want to try and build one:)
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #88
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
this is just so impressive imo....it is really making me want to try and build one:)
Thanks Bredrin! If you have the time and the patience to learn as you go if you don't already have the skill. I say do it!! There's nothing better than calling something yours in all aspects of the word!

Cheers

Old 07-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #89
Stevesonfire!
On the road to being a farker

Phrasty I haven't been on in a few days....WOW dude! Your makin some time on your master piece! Looks great!

I'm a big fan of the dual stacks!
Also Phrasty, I couldn't wait to get a fire in mine once it had taken the basic shape of a smoker...much like the current state of your build. I filled the smoke chamber with wood and set a BIG fire. Burnt most of the paint off, then had it sand blasted.

If you blast yours, be ready to put at least a coat of paint on it same day. If you don't, you'll have to deal with surface rust the next day...

For those contemplating a build..... Go for it!
I'd never touched a welder or cutting torch prior to building this...

That cooks this....

Which gets me a lot more visits from my brothers...that's them in the pic drinking my Rolling Rock and waiting on my BBQ!

Old 07-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #90
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Phrasty, dang brother, that looks sweet, can't wait to see her sandblasted and painted. I am currently in a townhouse and only using a UDS. Hopefully moving in next 6 months to a year and I want to build one like yours or Steve's. Keep the build pron coming, I'm going to be needing this thread when the time comes.

Steve, what size tank was that on your build?

Tags
Phrasty'sbuild