MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:18 PM   #31
Smoker34
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
Sounds like you have very strong opinions on what other people do on their own property. Why would it matter if someone rolls a cooker out of their garage and cooks in front of their house? This offends your delicate sensibilities?
I’ve lived in all types of suburbs and I’m pretty sure that in any of them, if I put outdoor furniture, a hammock, smokers and bbq grills in my front yard or in front of the house at all, I would hear complaints from the neighbors. Sorry if I offended a few here, but it seems very unusual to do this, unless there’s a necessity, as some have described here.

Thanks from: --->

Old 02-25-2020, 08:25 PM   #32
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
My cookers are all over the place. lol
I cook north of the house, when the southern summer wind just about knocks me down.
There are several cookers behind the house, close to the patio and swimming pool.
A couple of cookers by my shop.
A couple on the back deck.
My smokehouse and block pit are south of the house.....
and the underground pit is anywhere I can get the backhoe in to dig it!

I live in the middle of nowhere. No neighbors here.
Best scenario.I am building a new home on the Old Home Place.I can cook wherever I want and still not have to see nosy neighbors.I can't wait!
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:41 PM   #33
Hoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker34 View Post
I’ve lived in all types of suburbs and I’m pretty sure that in any of them, if I put outdoor furniture, a hammock, smokers and bbq grills in my front yard or in front of the house at all, I would hear complaints from the neighbors. Sorry if I offended a few here, but it seems very unusual to do this, unless there’s a necessity, as some have described here.
Some gotta do what they gotta do.I understand that.Big trend around here is folks hanging out,kids playing in front yard.Gotta be careful coming in from work,snots will dart out into the road in a flash.They all have fenced in back yards but also have Adirondack chairs and such sitting out front like it is Mayberry.I have not seen any cooking/ grilling out front though.We hang,play and cook out back.Nothing against the ones that do.Different strokes.Just not my thing.I like my neighbors but I like my privacy when relaxing even more.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-25-2020, 08:44 PM   #34
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Jeanie...
If the wind is knocking you over you need to hit the gym or drink less! [emoji2135] [emoji33] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2020, 08:47 PM   #35
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
Some gotta do what they gotta do.I understand that.Big trend around here is folks hanging out,kids playing in front yard.Gotta be careful coming in from work,snots will dart out into the road in a flash.They all have fenced in back yards but also have Adirondack chairs and such sitting out front like it is Mayberry.I have not seen any cooking/ grilling out front though.We hang,play and cook out back.Nothing against the ones that do.Different strokes.Just not my thing.I like my neighbors but I like my privacy when relaxing even more.
The Mayberry part is interesting to me. I read about a community being built in Amarillo a few years ago that had very limited backyard space. The idea was to encourage interaction between neighbors by not letting everyone literally hide behind their backyard fences. I do think privacy and boundaries are good, but if any of my neighbors were cooking something in the front of their house I wouldn't give it a second thought.
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2020, 08:48 PM   #36
gtr

If I cooked out front I'd probably have to wear pants.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2020, 08:48 PM   #37
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Jeanie...
If the wind is knocking you over you need to hit the gym or drink less! [emoji2135] [emoji33] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
This is Oklahoma. You have to keep rocks in your pockets to weigh you down.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2020, 09:46 PM   #38
Hoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
The Mayberry part is interesting to me. I read about a community being built in Amarillo a few years ago that had very limited backyard space. The idea was to encourage interaction between neighbors by not letting everyone literally hide behind their backyard fences. I do think privacy and boundaries are good, but if any of my neighbors were cooking something in the front of their house I wouldn't give it a second thought.
It would not bother me at all if the neighbors cooked out front.It is just not something I am going to do.That is their business,not mine.I like my fence and my back yard.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:07 PM   #39
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

We don't mess around here when it comes to neighborhood BBQ, I wheel out a Shirley Fab in the driveway and set up a refrigerated prep table next to it full of good stuff to share with them.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:12 PM   #40
HogGrog
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

My problems have problems...

Farkin’ addicted to cookers and couldn’t resist buying a stick burner cheaper than I could have bought for a ‘backyard’ model.

But it didn’t fit in the backyard, so I cook in the driveway and buy extra meat to feed the neighbors, sometimes...

No issues so far and with fortunate landscaping, parking the truck in the right spot and a place to tuck myself in the garage, I get a enough privacy but would still prefer the backyard.

Smoke gonna roll, front or back.
Bar-B-Que ain’t air pollution…
HogGrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2020, 10:17 PM   #41
Hoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by InThePitBBQ View Post
We don't mess around here when it comes to neighborhood BBQ, I wheel out a Shirley Fab in the driveway and set up a refrigerated prep table next to it full of good stuff to share with them.
That is fine for a NEIGHBORHOOD BBQ.Ihost several cooks for large parties at the farm every year but sometimes all I want is peace and quiet and thin blue wafting into the air.Not company.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:25 PM   #42
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicDad View Post
My garage door and driveway are on the side of the house.
This^^^
My Shirley lives in my garage. I roll it out to the driveway to cook an roll it back when done. If I am doing a big cook, I'll set up the pop-up tent. Some neighbors frown on this, others stop by and have a beer. If they don't like it they can move to a gated community with an HOA and ban it. My neighborhood is like Outback Steakhouse - "No rules, just right".

Quote:
Dave Fisk built my santa maria with the end of a propane tank, 3/8 steel. No fear of rusting out.

RIP Dave, we miss you.
I never met Dave in person, but he made one of his "Fiskstone" griddles for me. We traded many e-mails until we didn't. I miss him, too.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2020, 10:31 PM   #43
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
That is fine for a NEIGHBORHOOD BBQ.Ihost several cooks for large parties at the farm every year but sometimes all I want is peace and quiet and thin blue wafting into the air.Not company.
My cookers are to darn big and heavy to hook onto the truck and destroy the septic pulling them to the back yard so it all happens in the driveway "NEIGHBORHOOD BBQ" style.

Like it or not the smoke rolls, better to be accommodating than not.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:06 PM   #44
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

At home it's all in the backyard. At the cabin the front yard/driveway. Easier to roll the cookers straight out the garage, pull out a couple lawn chairs, grab a few beers and chill out and watch the smoke roll. Heck, met quite a few of the neighbors smoking in the front that I would've never met. Shared bbq and went over to their place for drinks. Try it out, it's purdy kool. But then again I'm a social farker.

View from inside of the garage throwing back a few. It's relaxing.

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2020, 05:59 AM   #45
TC Smoke & Que
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

I am set up in the back yard, which makes the kitchen easy access for my prep. Plus I store my grills smokers on the screened patio because the garage is full of tools, etc. The driveway has a deep angle to it so I have to block everything for "level". The neighbors dont mind because I am always sharing some of the bigger cooks.
I do like the privacy of the backyard and it faces south so most E / SE winds dont blow back into the house.
TC Smoke & Que is offline   Reply With Quote