Wicked Good In SoCal?

HB-BBQ

is One Chatty Farker
I was wondering if any of my SoCal Brethern know where some Wicked Good can be had around here? The freight is a killer to order from Maine, its $23 for two 11lb bags of briquettes :eek:

OLE BOY OUTDOORS
20807 Stockdale Highway
Bakersfield, CA 93314
(661) 587-4457
Fax: (661) 587-2536

This is the only place I know of. Now we could get into the debate on wether or not Bakersfield in So Cal or No Cal...

OLE BOY OUTDOORS
20807 Stockdale Highway
Bakersfield, CA 93314
(661) 587-4457

This is the only place I know of. Now we could get into the debate on wether or not Bakersfield in So Cal or No Cal...

HBBBQ,

I will be in Bfield in a week or two, if you would like me to drag some back for you - Send me a PM as needed.

Found 40lb bags of best in the west at smart and final but there were so many bags piled up they had the price covered :mad:

Thats startin to become my fav store...

What does it do that best of the west or Rancher doesn't?
I have seen lots of talk about the brand in general and wanted to get my hands on some. I am not sure about the brands you mentioned....How do they measure up to B&B or Royal Oak which I cannot seem to locate locally anymore?

BTW trp1fox, thanks for the info. I saw that guy listed on the Wicked Good site but he didnt have a website and seem a bit far to drive from HB.

HBBBQ,

I will be in Bfield in a week or two, if you would like me to drag some back for you - Send me a PM as needed.

Wow that's a generous offer to do for someone you have never met. I would jump on it but unless you were going for yourself I wouldn't trouble you. I am only looking for a couple of bags of lump briquettes to try out.
Thanks Rob

I have seen lots of talk about the brand in general and wanted to get my hands on some. I am not sure about the brands you mentioned....How do they measure up to B&B or Royal Oak which I cannot seem to locate locally anymore?

Best of the West is Mesquite lump. It tends to have bigger chunks in it. Light on the ash and burns a long time. It's what I used before I got hip to Ranchers.

I spoke to the local guy who is carrying it during a contest this past wekeend. He claims the Wicked Good briquettes are ground up lump and pressed to form a briquette... no fillers so very little ash and longer burns. I was impressed with the story anyway. I bought three of the 11 pound bags. Once I get the Spicewine home, I'll try them out and see what hapens. I might give them a shot on a WSM too. I'm thinking an all night sleep with the Wicked Good, Minion method, WSM and some butts!

Oh and he said there was little if any dust in the bags and rarely will you find a broken briquette. I have yet to open a bag to see.

Jeff, there is a post in the Brethren Sales section here by Ultramag regarding his first cook using Wicked Good charcoal. He said he used it in his WSM and got a 24hr burn at 229 degrees. These are his words not mine. I love the stuff and that is the reason I became a distributor of Wicked Good. If you are looking for a longer burn without the ash you might want to give it a try.

Lang Mobile 60
Lang Tandem 84 Catering Kitchen

This is exactly what I have heard about the briquettes thanks for the input. I understand they are a bit slow to get started but once they start they burn forever.

Jeff, there is a post in the Brethren Sales section here by Ultramag regarding his first cook using Wicked Good charcoal. He said he used it in his WSM and got a 24hr burn at 229 degrees. These are his words not mine. I love the stuff and that is the reason I became a distributor of Wicked Good. If you are looking for a longer burn without the ash you might want to give it a try.

Lang Mobile 60
Lang Tandem 84 Catering Kitchen

Yes there is and yes he did. My temps ran from 225° to 250° and I slept while a brisket was created in the WSM. I let it go after I pulled the brisket and and it burned for 24 hours total. I didn't as much as tap a leg to shake ash down or anything. My 1st and only experience but it is what it was. Look forward to round 2.

Also, my bag had zero dust and all 11lbs. were whole briquettes Jeff. I would like to hear how the Spicewine WGC experiment goes if you get a chance to post it.

My testimonial is on the Wicked Good site because of the amount of burn time I got out of the briquettes. It was about 36 hours! I had been trying to choke of the air to put them out, and my WSM was letting in just enough air that they would not go out. When I got home from work the next day I went to clean out any ash, and almost burned myself reaching in.

--Larry

Out of curiosity I emailed Wicked Good for a quote on a Pallet of Wicked Good. 60 22lb bags come out to 15.20 a bag delivered to SoCal.

Not quite the bulk deal I wanted :shock:

If I was a math whiz I could probably do a cost/burn analysis against all the money I spend on wood in the Lang. 1,320 lbs of Lump vs 1,320 lbs of wood.

Have to leave that one up to Norco...he is the gadget man. He can probably dig around in his barn and find somethin that can figure it out.

Me?? Not so much :roll:

OLE BOY OUTDOORS
20807 Stockdale Highway
Bakersfield, CA 93314
(661) 587-4457

Have you been there? I've been calling the number to get a price and haven't got any answer. Waited until after 10 AM and tried again. The city directory shows the address belongs to Hondo Chem Co (agricultural chemicals). No listing in our AT&T, no listing through 411 either??
BTW we like to think that we're in Central California, generally speaking northern and southern politics are quite different :p

Last edited:
Back