Reaction score
Hey All,

Count me in as a new convert to the wicked good charcoal. I have been
using stubbs ( and no complaints ) in my new superior ss-2 for about a
month now and as i'm learing this new smoker i have been turning out
better Q than on my beloved wsm's. But i have thought about how i can
avoid the ash build up and finally found an ace hardware that carries the
wicked good charcoal. I have been smoking all day today and am amazed
at the lack of ash in the small pan under the grate. Maybe i am slow to the party, but even my favorite stubbs was leaving the pan full after so
many hours. This stuff is solid, i mean there is no ash to speak of in the pan. Even took the wife out for show and tell. Lol

Hot Sauce Hoss

Never heard of this charcoal, I will check with my local ACE store and see if they carry it and if they do I will give it a try, right now Stubbs is my favorite.

hoss, wicked good lump is the only stuff i've ever used. it never gave me a reason to try anything else. burns nice and as you say no problems with ash.

dang if your ACE is carrying it then you are a lucky farker. I'll have to go down the road now to see...

bman - i see you're in MA as well. I get my wicked good lump at Iandoli Ice on rt 20 in worcester, kind of across the streets from the infamous stip clubs Pudgies or Lamp lighter (not that i've frequented those fine establishments). also heard from another local brethren that a place on rt 9 called spit jacks sells it. maybe shrewsbury?

bman - i see you're in MA as well. I get my wicked good lump at Iandoli Ice on rt 20 in worcester, kind of across the streets from the infamous stip clubs Pudgies or Lamp lighter (not that i've frequented those fine establishments). also heard from another local brethren that a place on rt 9 called spit jacks sells it. maybe shrewsbury?

Hey now, thanks Big Alvin! I have got it from Spitjack, but did not realize the strip clubs, I mean Ice place also carried it. Thanks for the heads up! I work in Hudson so I'll have to check it out!

i work in hudson as well. any chance its the factory on the hill behind stop and shop?

Hey All,

Count me in as a new convert to the wicked good charcoal. I have been
using stubbs ( and no complaints ) in my new superior ss-2 for about a
month now and as i'm learing this new smoker i have been turning out
better Q than on my beloved wsm's. But i have thought about how i can
avoid the ash build up and finally found an ace hardware that carries the
wicked good charcoal. I have been smoking all day today and am amazed
at the lack of ash in the small pan under the grate. Maybe i am slow to the party, but even my favorite stubbs was leaving the pan full after so
many hours. This stuff is solid, i mean there is no ash to speak of in the pan. Even took the wife out for show and tell. Lol

Hot Sauce Hoss

are you using the briquettes or lump? I've tried the WG vs Stubbs briquettes on a couple of occasions and didn't think the WG justied the extra price..

I have used the lump for higher temp grilling and liked it a lot for that

You are very lucky to have a local source for Wicked. I have to buy it shipped by the pallet. But it's my go-to lump for long cooks.

Bman - in the 1 for me

Dallas Dan - i've been looking to get a pallet price as well. there is a place about 1.5 hours from me that sells it by the pallet so i may see if i can round up a few locals and split the cost. i could grab the palled in my f350 and avoid the shipping.

Bman - in the 1 for me

Dallas Dan - i've been looking to get a pallet price as well. there is a place about 1.5 hours from me that sells it by the pallet so i may see if i can round up a few locals and split the cost. i could grab the palled in my f350 and avoid the shipping.

Sounds good to me. Let me know when you are going to make the haul. We'd be interested.

sounds good bman. i usually load up around the end of may once i unload the shed with all the pool and patio stuff. i'll let you know. i sent you a PM. willl get in touch with you and deez next time i'm on days at work.

I agree. I am a diehard Lazzri fan. However I did a 14 hr Brisket cook today w/ some WG WW. I put 6lbs in the BGE along w/ some hickory chunks and still had enough to do 12 chicken thighs, 4 breasts w/ plenty of unburned chunks of lump remaining. I'm going to do a rib burn tomorrow w/ the same leftover lump, just to see how much will be left. Good stuff.

JT

I used WG for the 1st time about 2 years ago, picked up a couple bags local at an Egg fest. I loved the aroma it put off and did burn clean, long and steady. I could not get it local the last time I wanted some so I ordered 3 bags and the shipping cost me more than the Lump.

The 2nd set of bags I bought were of a different wood source, think I remember a disclaimer that certain woods were not being used any longer. It still burnt clean and long but the sweet aroma was not there.

re: wicked good

Forgot to mention that it is lump weekend warrior. Went out to look this
afternoon and can't believe how much is still in the shoot. Wow, this stuff
was easy to light, held temps like who wouldn't have it, smelled nice, put
a nice smoke ring in the brisket, left no ash ( well very little ). :kiss: ok
i'll stop with the romance.

Hot Sauce Hoss

I use the briquettes in my WSM cookers. As said above, it burns a long time. I can easily get 12-16 hours of cooking time from a load. I have tried the Kingsford Competition the last couple of cooks. The one I bought Thursday was about $9.00 but I did not shop around. The wicked good lasts longer and I like it better. I had to have a pallet shipped to me last time. It did lower the price a lot. I think it came out to about $7.25 per 11 pound bag. Thats a lot of charcoal. I think is was 121 bags. I split it up with three other people. I will probably do it again.

Back