MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
meganpop
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default How can we get more cookers??

I work at my town's Chamber of Commerce and we have had a BBQ competition for the last 3 years and are trying to build the event. It is not sanctioned and probably never will be as our small town (population about 4000) just doesn't have the money. We call it Q-Fest and last year we only had 10 cookers. We do let the public buy wristbands and sample and vote for peoples choice. It is part of a big weekend with many activities and we bring people in from far away. Any suggestions on how and where we can market to get more cookers? Thanks in advance for any advice!
By the way.... Our Q-Fest is June 29, 2008 in Milbank, SD....Anyone wanna come????
meganpop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would if it was less than 578.38 miles... I'm sure that there are some of the brethren up north that would be interested...

By the way, please stop in at the 'Cattle Call' and introduce yourself...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
Bentley
Babbling Farker

In a state of only 800K, it is going to be tough! I think 10 teams is pretty good for a town of 4K. Have you tried to promote it to the "BackYard" type cook?
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
meganpop

We do advertise in our local paper and on the radio hoping to get the "backyard" cookers. I'm glad to hear that you think 10 cookers is good for a town our size. I am new to all of this so I don't know what the norm is. Thank you guys for your input!

Old 02-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

I think sanctioning it would be the quickest and best way for you to get cookers there. Why? Because SD only has 2 other sanctioned events (I believe - or is that North Dakota?). Why is this important? Because The Jack Daniels Invitational puts all the winning teams name from all sactioned events per state in a hat and draws one winner from each state. Thus, the winner of your competition would have a 33.3% chance of going to The Jack, and that's huge.

When SD only had one event, many teams from the northern midwest made sure it was on their schedule for that sole reason.

What's it cost to sanction? $2000????? At $150 a team, you need 14 more teams to participate to get the money back.

And that gets your event listed on KCBS site, which many cooks frequent regularly.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
mds2
On the road to being a farker

Do you have any more info about the contest? Payouts etc? Is it KCBS rules? Cedar Creek Nebraska has a non-sanctioned contest and there were like 35 teams last year and I think GC only wins like $400, and that town is only like 300 people.

Brinkmann Electric Bullet
Weber Kettle
Homemade Cabinet Smoker
Large Homemade Offset
Large Stumps Clone
mds2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #7
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Here's an idea. Get local business etc to pony up a hundred bucks and get 1500-2000. Offer it as prize money without asking for an entry fee. Money for nothing. Small trophies, smallish payoff's, go deep. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree with all Bob told you... getting it sanctioned would be HUGE in South Dakota. If you do this, you could attend the other two SD events and pass out promotional flyers for your event if they're before your contest. May be too late for this year but for 2009, I'd seriously consider it. Teams will travel for a 33% chance at the Jack Daniels World Championship by winning your event.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #9
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
I think sanctioning it would be the quickest and best way for you to get cookers there. Why? Because SD only has 2 other sanctioned events (I believe - or is that North Dakota?). Why is this important? Because The Jack Daniels Invitational puts all the winning teams name from all sactioned events per state in a hat and draws one winner from each state. Thus, the winner of your competition would have a 33.3% chance of going to The Jack, and that's huge.
Not totally accurate. They do not take the winner of every sanctioned contest and a contest doesn't have to be KCBS sanctioned to qualify for the Jack draw. It must be a state championship with a minimum number of teams (15 first year, 25 each year after that) or have 50 teams or more without a state championship declaration. Qualifying rules:
http://www.jackdaniels.com/happening...t.aspx?id=1772

Sanctioning might still help and being a Jack "qualifier" is a big draw.
Medium BGE, Weber Kettle and gasser, other toys
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #10
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Good point. Alright, stet that. Get to be a state championship and as JSA says, theirs your draw.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

Last edited by KC_Bobby; 02-28-2008 at 11:17 AM..
KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #11
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

get sanctioned
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
meganpop

Thanks guys, I'll mention all of this at our next committee meeting! Sanctioning is the answer!!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:19 AM   #13
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganpop View Post
... It is not sanctioned and probably never will be as our small town (population about 4000) just doesn't have the money. We call it Q-Fest and last year we only had 10 cookers. We do let the public buy wristbands and sample and vote for peoples choice. It is part of a big weekend with many activities and we bring people in from far away. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokincracker View Post
get sanctioned
Getting sanctioned would be great start.

Our town population is about 3,500 and we host the Smoke in the Spring in April. We are sanctioned and had about 65 teams last year. I talked to the organizer the other day and he said we have a team signed up from Minnesota.