MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
PsychoSid
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default have concession....will dream

OK, my little fantasy took another step. I just picked up a 12x7 concession trailer last weekend. It was very cheap, only has the 4 sinks and counters and needs repairs, but it is a start. I plan on doing 400 mile sale in Ky and 700 mile 127 sale along with a few local type festivals to start. I want to start out with bbq and a few simple sides (beans, slaw, chips and bottled drinks. I have sooooo many questions, but will start with just a few for now.
1 My sinks are just rough plumbed and have no water heater, pumps or tanks. Any suggestions? I am thinking "point of use" since at the moment everything is electric and I plan on starting small and see what happens.
2 It is a small trailer with no equipment. What counter top equipment is vital? what have you thought you needed and discovered you no longer take with you?
3 Does the urge to "test the waters" subside after a few events or does a little success only lead to biggr fantasies?

I tried to post pics of the eyesore, but it is too big so I'll take others as the remodeling takes shape.
PsychoSid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

All your answers can be answered at your local HD.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Bubba is correct call the HD but it sounds like you have a lot of work to get it ready for legal use. If you were in VA the sinks would have to be plumbed to a fresh and waste water tank. You would need hot water, screened windows, refrigeration, hold holding for food, water must come from public source and much more before you can get a legal inspection and permit. Just see what your HD says before you try to sell because you don't want them to find out you have been selling and then not be able to get legal.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
PsychoSid
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have talked with local HD and know what I have to do on that aspect. My question is more from the point of desire, luxury and usefulness opposed to necessity. What do you guys carry in your stand outside the required equipment that you just would not be without?
PsychoSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I see what your asking, but honestly if it ain't required then it really is not in my trailer. Mine is 7 x 16 and when I had it built I thought it would be bigger than I would need but I have found I could use way more space. I started out with a cheap home refrig for cold holding and crock pots for hot holding. I just upgraded to a commercial 23 sq ft all refrigerator and a 4 bay gas steam table. These items I hope will be the luxury items you talk about. What I found (and the HD did too) a non commercial refrig when opened and closed a lot like when you are busy will not stay cold and the temp will rise. Same with crock pots, they don't hold temps on pork very well, but when I got into business that was all I could afford and the HD said it was ok. So I would say luxury items will fall under the quality of the items you must have.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->