Smoke daddy Pellet Grill/Smoker Vs Campchef

Quint

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro® 1190 Deluxe Stainless Steel Pellet Grill vs Camp Chef Woodwind SG 24 Pellet Grill with Sidekick

I'm considering purchasing a pellet smoker/grill and these two are at the top of my list. I admitting have no experience with pellet anything and there are a ton of choices out there. What are peoples thoughts on these two models and are there better models around this price point that I should be considering?

Thanks

I don't own either one and have never seen a Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro but seeing the Camp Chef up close, the build quality was disappointing to me.
It depends on what is important to you. Is wifi a necessity? Will you be cooking in cold weather? Some are insulated for cold weather and others have insulated shaped covers you use in the winter. Some have heavier build quality than others, some have PID controllers and some don't. Some claim that when there are temp swings it helps add more flavor to the food whereas a steady temp adds less flavor. Some are stainless, some are not. And pricing can be a factor too.

Although I have not seen one up close, Grilla Grills is known to have a heavy duty build quality but does not offer wifi. They have a dual controller that offers either a PID mode or non PID mode. Depending on outside temps, it can require adjusting the auger feed rate when in PID mode. Not sure if all PID controllers do or not. Smoke Daddy has a sale right now too. Myself, I would be choosing between either Rec Tec, Smoke daddy or Grilla Grills.

Smoke Daddy charges $100.00 to deliver to a residential address.

Last edited:
I can verify the build quality of the Grilla grills. Have had a Chimp for 6 months and it really is built to last....all stainless inside, double walled and the 2 controllers. Customer service, if needed, is exceptionally good.

I've had zero issues with my Pellet Pro. The 1190 has a lot of capacity.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Have you seen their new controller?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
No. I'm sure I have the older one. Dennis didn't tell me about it.

Also look at the weight of the cookers. That will tell you something about the materials.

No. I'm sure I have the older one. Dennis didn't tell me about it.

Also look at the weight of the cookers. That will tell you something about the materials.

They have a WiFi controller coming early next year

They have a WiFi controller coming early next year

I keep hearing that but haven't seen it. [emoji848]

I nave 2 older Traegers and a GMG Davy Crocket , if was to buy new I'd look at the RECTEC grills

I've had zero issues with my Pellet Pro. The 1190 has a lot of capacity.

So you recommend this smoker? How about for the northeast is it a good candidate for smoking in the winter?

So you recommend this smoker? How about for the northeast is it a good candidate for smoking in the winter?
yes, nice cooker and good customer service. No idea on your area. It doesn't get that cold in Texas. If that's a concern then I would look at ther double walled vertical.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have more research to do for sure it seems. Lots of nice pellet smokers out there but my price point of around $900 max eliminates quite a few.

So far my choices seem to be

Smoke Daddy
Traeger
Camp chef
Possibly Gorilla grill

Yoder is to expensive but very nice

If people have other suggestions please keep them coming.

Gorilla Grills

Father in Law owns a Camp Chef. Not a PID so temp does fluctuate but the food gets cooked. He has had it for over a year and I don't know how many ribs, butts and roasts have been on it but he has had no complaints.

I don't own a Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro, but I can attest that they are well built. Camp Chef pellet grills need to be revamped. They're old and have not kept up with the competition.

Maybe hold off and see what Weber has to offer in 2020.

"I saw it at a trade show 2 weeks ago. Had to go to a secret room and surrender my cell phone. The major differences between it and the Ironwood are the weber is shiny, uses flavorizer bars like its gas grills and has an uphill feed for pellets. The hopper is long and skinny on the back of the grill. The thermostat is almost the same. It also has a clean put feature on the firebox like their gas grills where the grease falls to a drip pan and the ashes fall to the side. I will keep my Ironwood. The Weber will retail for about 100 less than comparable Traeger. There are 2 sizes coming. They should be shipping to retailers by April. Temp range is 200-600 according to Weber. I think the Traeger will smoke better as 200 is a little bit high for my taste. They also have a super smoke function but call it something different."

Maybe hold off and see what Weber has to offer in 2020.

"I saw it at a trade show 2 weeks ago. Had to go to a secret room and surrender my cell phone. The major differences between it and the Ironwood are the weber is shiny, uses flavorizer bars like its gas grills and has an uphill feed for pellets. The hopper is long and skinny on the back of the grill. The thermostat is almost the same. It also has a clean put feature on the firebox like their gas grills where the grease falls to a drip pan and the ashes fall to the side. I will keep my Ironwood. The Weber will retail for about 100 less than comparable Traeger. There are 2 sizes coming. They should be shipping to retailers by April. Temp range is 200-600 according to Weber. I think the Traeger will smoke better as 200 is a little bit high for my taste. They also have a super smoke function but call it something different."

PID controller on the weber?

Back