The Lure Of The Offset Smoker

You are TEMPTING me. At this moment, I would rather spend twice, or 3 times, that amount for a really good offset, but I think a good, not great, but good, offset, will cost me more than that.

HOWEVER, if I walk into Walmart on Friday, and there is still one left, I just might get it. I'm driving the truck then, just in case.

I grabbed a Highland last year at Walmart for $100.

I typically don't have time to tend this style of cooker, so for a minimal investment, I can have fun burning wood when I do have the time. Turns out some pretty good Q, so I'm happy I bought it.

I've spent more on wood than I have for the cooker! :loco:

26638709598_8ff0e939b2_z.jpg

Last edited:
Buy once,cry once.The sweetness of low price turns bitter when coupled with poor/inferior quality.Just my humble opinion.Buy a good one,take care of it and pass it down for a generation or three.At least they may get good money for it at the estate sale when you bite it. :twitch::wink: :becky:

Okay, Hoss, Tomorrow I was heading to Walmart, if they still had them, one was going home with me, but you changed my mind. I would rather wait for a GOOD model, and spend more, but be happy every time I fire it up.

My Mom used to say "watch what you spend your money on, because you can only spend it once". ( Thanks Mom )

Adams,

I've been considering an offset. too......but for my retirement in about 6 years.

I figure I'll have time to tend the fire and enjoy not being at work. :-D

Okay, Hoss, Tomorrow I was heading to Walmart, if they still had them, one was going home with me, but you changed my mind. I would rather wait for a GOOD model, and spend more, but be happy every time I fire it up.

My Mom used to say "watch what you spend your money on, because you can only spend it once". ( Thanks Mom )

Good advice!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

better Save Up $1500 +...........$3295 would Be Ideal.............

https://www.stlbbqstore.com/shirley-fabrication-smokers/

Adams,

I've been considering an offset. too......but for my retirement in about 6 years.

I figure I'll have time to tend the fire and enjoy not being at work. :-D

That's pretty much where I am. It is difficult to find time to use the toys I have. Hopefully that occurs next July.

Who knows, Perhaps the Open Range will serve as that final cooker for me. Haven't fired it up yet.

better Save Up $1500 +...........$3295 would Be Ideal.............

https://www.stlbbqstore.com/shirley-fabrication-smokers/
This is were I'm at.

Looking real hard at the LSG 20", not aesthetically the best looking offset but the size is perfect for my needs and like the cross flow tech, it would also come in under 2K but that's not the biggest selling point just a bonus. If I wanted or need bigger would probably look at a top flow offset like the Rockin W Backyard or maybe the Jambo Backyard, just don't need something that big because most of the time I'm just cooking for 2 but when we move in a few years that may change.

I have a cheap Brinkman offset, 14 gage steel, and can attest to the fact that it takes more fuel and more attention that a heavier unit. Also, the firebox is relatively small, needing even more attention.
Last weekend, with temps around 50*, I noticed an increase in cooking time and charcoal used trying to maintain temp.
I bought it ~20 years ago but really hadn't used it more than a few times until this year. (Career change, no longer a slave to the job like I was for the last 30 years)
It worked great all summer, but I'm concerned about it's performance in the coming winter. Had I known then what I know now, which is still not a lot, I would have bought a much heavier smoker.
For now, I enjoy the time spent tending to the fire, watching the temps, making improvements to the cooker and my methods, so it fits my needs. It's turned out some killer grub this past summer.
The next one, which will probably be my last, will definitely be heavier, probably bigger and much better researched than this one was. Meanwhile, till I retire or this one rots out, I'll keep on watching it closely. That's half of the enjoyment I get out of cooking.

Last edited:
Back