Battle of the BBQ Brethren, Sayville, NY - Oct 24-26, 2008

Dude, I just had to check the scoresheets again. I'm in shock. After grilling all day Saturday, the rain and collapse canopy made it very hard to focus on BBQ yesterday. Luckily John helped me power through and just get stuff turned in. Quick highlights were:

*turning in 2 categories Saturday with ZERO seconds left and almost taking out the turn-in table on the last one.
* the inspiring words of Pastor Willie B Sunday morning
* witnessing the miracle that is Brendan put a fire out with his bare feet
* meeting so many new people
* Winning my first KCBS GC at Battle of the BBQ Brethren!!!!!

And thanks so much to Phil for his generous donation of a new 27" Weber to the GC. My wife is (sarcastically) thrilled! I posted some pictures at http://www.smokeindaeye.com/Pictures.php but would love any shots anyone got of the win.

My brother got some pictures of you winning, I'll post them as soon as I can get them from him.

What a weekend!!! I had a great time. Jay & Jimmy it was a pleasure to talk with you both. Smokers Lounge, Swamp pit, Lakeside Smoker, Better days BBQ, Out of the Ashes, Sled, SIDE, Westex, Willie B, Big Barry it was great talking with you all.

Congrats to Clint, Job well done!! In your next life you should be a firefighter.

Wow! I am wiped out!!!

What a great event. Thanks to Eric and the Chamber for putting on another great event.

WE GOT OUR FIRST WALK!!!!! 9th place Pork. I was happy with it and I am glad I was right.

Congrats to SIDE and DDLWs!!

Thanks to Guy and Nancy for helping us out!

Did anyone else notice the odd amounts on the checks? We had a few checks that included $.50, and real odd amounts? Great weekend, some farking weather saturday night. Nice job clint! Great turnout, the only problem from and overall point of view is that they need a BBQ vendor there, we had a lot of mad people looking to buy some ribs.

1) The odd denominations on the checks are due to the fact that the entry fees went entirely back to the teams. As such, we couldn't decide on dollar amounts until all monies were in, so we went another route and decided on percentages. 5th place in Pizza gets X% of the total Grilling money and so on.

2) There was another BBQ vendor. Sparkys Texas BBQ of Farmindale. They backed out on THURSDAY NIGHT!!!!! If you are a Long Islander, please don't support this business. They didn't like the weather forecast and booked another gig that was closer to them and didn't tell us until the chamber called them.

Eric

Congrats Clint, I had my money on you for this one.

1) The odd denominations on the checks are due to the fact that the entry fees went entirely back to the teams. As such, we couldn't decide on dollar amounts until all monies were in, so we went another route and decided on percentages. 5th place in Pizza gets X% of the total Grilling money and so on.

2) There was another BBQ vendor. Sparkys Texas BBQ of Farmindale. They backed out on THURSDAY NIGHT!!!!! If you are a Long Islander, please don't support this business. They didn't like the weather forecast and booked another gig that was closer to them and didn't tell us until the chamber called them.

Eric

Wow - that's totally farked up. These are the same guys that I tried to get involved with the Brethren for their grand opening, reviews, etc. and was basically blown off. Their loss.

Results follow-up

In addition to the Kettle generously donated by BBQ-Brethren.com, Smoke In Da Eye also won free entry into next years Hudson Valley Ribfest.

Grim Reaper Smokers won a $50.00 gift certificate to Maine Grilling Woods for best decorated lot.

We had one judge who was judging her 30th competition and another who traveled 475 miles to judge.

I won a pack of peppers (not pickled) from Purple Turtle and then NEVER GOT MY PRIZE!!!

Eric

Second Thoughts on the BBQ Circus

Well, its over for 2008, and I have to go the record and recant my previous rants above the Grilling Portion of the Contest. I WAS WRONG :icon_blush:, yes it is the only the second time this year :wink:... The Grilling Contest went very,very well, I had the chance to be a table captain and lead a team of on site judges it was just a great time. The food that was turned in was creative, tasty and well presented, lots of teams (22) went all out to turn in some really out of the box treats. However, the onsite judging part of the contest was just the best, having experience as a MIM judge, the rules and methods adapted to fit this contest worked just great, I got to see five onsite presentations and judge one, they were all way above average, and then there was Sledneck :-D, who served each judge at least 2 pounds of lasngna along with olive oil pressed from his parents vines in native Croatia, who probably would have won if he listened to me and put blues hog sauce over his vanilla ice cream topped grilled pound cake. All in All it was great event, and while a certain carnival atomoshere did exisit with the midway in the backround, it was far from a circus, I know I will compete next year !

Grim Reaper Smokers won a $50.00 gift certificate to Maine Grilling Woods for best decorated lot.
Those tombstones that Tim made were awesome. Especially the one on the left:biggrin:

Last edited:
Photos courtesy of SIDE. Don't I look thrilled:rolleyes:

Last edited:
What a fun trip

WOW

I’m back at the house. I need to head to the shop and make sure its still there but a few quick thoughts….

Sled you are the man with out you and your family’s help we would not have been able to participate. You are a class act and it’s reflected in your wife and children... Thanks

The same goes out to all the other guys & gals. Jay and I begged and barrowed from everyone all weekend.

Westex saved us from being in the direct rain by loaning us an ezup…Thanks Bro

Vinny thanks for the use of the cooker it worked flawless, The maze was perfect and held temp just right all night and into the next day. Thanks thanks thanks

Willie took us to Hooters on Friday for a fine meal and some cold refreshing beverages!! By the way Willy never stopped drinking from that point on… This guy is a beer drinking machine. Thanks for all the fun Willie

Julie is a ball of fire, the woman is going wide open non stop all the time (thanks for everything Jewl) Tequila Slushee yeeeeehaaawwwww…

Sat night 2 AM 50 deg and raining and this dude Brendon from Transformers is walking around wet in a tee shirt and shorts barefoot….drinking beer….We had a good talk good to meet you bro.

Clint and John congrats on the win you guys worked your asses off and kicked some butt. Clint in a good way you are one coooooooool cat Bro!!! Best you stay up there in New York..:) Tell John to call me when he gets down here this winter and we can q some.

Lots more to say
I’ll babble some more later I have to work (where do I see some pics?)

Congrats Clint!! Nice job man.
Great time on Long Island again. Can't wait till next year.
Some highlights for me: meeting Jesus and becoming a volunteer firefighter. :-D

Had a great time (despite the long drive). The on site judging was a fun time for all and I was really impressed by some of the entires. As a judge I think it was just as akward and just as much fun for us. Please include this again next year if possible. It would be nice to have some freedom for the team captain to ask certain questions to the teams when we arrive such as:
- How did you incorporate tha featured ingredient?
- What techniques did you use while preparing the dishes?
- Any special touches or flavors you would like the judges to notice?
Just some general banter to subdue some of the akwardness.
Thanks for all your efforts.

Those tombstones that Tim made were awesome. Especially the one on the left:biggrin:

I'm REALLY glad that you like them Sled, because now I know that you will get a real kick out of the next addition to the graveyard that I have planned! :wink: :biggrin:

Back