MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
BuckN BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Default Any thoughts on the Yoder Kingman

I'm new to the smoking world. Been following this site for about 6 months now. I have a MES30 which I call the "outdoor crock pot" and don't feel that it's very fun to cook on. I'm really interested in an offset stick burner and my awesome wife offered to buy me a Yoder Kingman for Christmas. Just looking for opinions on if this is the best offset for $3k.

Thank You,
Jeremy
BuckN BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

I know next to nothing about stickburners but $3k should pretty much get you anything you would be looking for in my opinion from the options I see people talk about here regularly.

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Can I marry her??

A Yoder Kingman is one of smokers I plan to buy in the future. They are great and Yoder's customer service and support is just as great as their cookers. There are several members here that own Kingmans and some others that have cooked on them. Hopefully they will chime in. Everyone that uses them seem to love them.

I don't think you can go wrong with it at all. I say do it! And if you don't like it, I'm not too far south.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
BuckN BBQ

Husker, Thanks for the quick response and kind words. From following your journey I'd say your wife is probably as understanding as mine.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckN BBQ View Post
Husker, Thanks for the quick response and kind words. From following your journey I'd say your wife is probably as understanding as mine.
Yes she is, or I wouldn't have the cookers I have. I just know that Santa isn't going to be bringing me a Kingman this year, that's all. I'm not complaining about what I have (wife or cookers) at all.

My YS1500 is more or less a Kingman, just pellet fired vs. wood fired. Make sure you get the HMS installed, it makes cooking in the pit a dream. It's dead even side to side and front to back, and you can get the firebox side hot if you want. It's a must on Yoder pits, IMO.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
jlane
Full Fledged Farker

I haven't seen a Kingman, but I can speak for the quality of the Yoders. I purchased a Wichita this fall and I'm in love with it. It's built very well.
jlane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

That is a nice looking rig! The Stockton would give you more grate area and a smaller footprint But I'm biased to that configuration

http://www.yodersmokers.com/stockton.html
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Looks like a really nice smoker, but you could get a whole lot of Lang for $3000 (a 48" Deluxe) or for a little bit more get a Hybrid Patio.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #9
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

I own a Lang, and I would be proud to cook on a Yoder Kingman...I would'nt talk my wife out of her great gift idea...How can you reciprocate? That's going to be a big day for the two of you...

To answer your original question...Thoughts? Top of the line cooker, where's the "Order" button....

Enjoy...
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Take that 3k and get the Kingman pronto!!
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
ribsrdone
Knows what a fatty is.

The Kingman is a great smoker. I would certainly spend the additional money to get it on the Competition Cart. I didn't enjoy moving the regular Kingman around at the Royal this year. If you're going to set in place and not move it too much, then the regular o0ne is fine. Rob from Swamp Boys seems to do alright with it.
ribsrdone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
BuckN BBQ

My YS1500 is more or less a Kingman, just pellet fired vs. wood fired. Make sure you get the HMS installed, it makes cooking in the pit a dream. It's dead even side to side and front to back, and you can get the firebox side hot if you want. It's a must on Yoder pits, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Is the HMS different than the Heat Management Plate that is included with the Kingman??

Last edited by BuckN BBQ; 11-19-2013 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: Quote

Old 11-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #13
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

HMS is the Heat Management System which is a little different than the plate. Honestly I forgot the Kingman came with the plate. The plate may be all that you need, though. The HMS has a sliding door to open up to the fire at any time, but the plate will do a good job of evening out the pit. I just forgot it was included.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
DENALI
Knows what a fatty is.

If i was going to get a new stick burner it would be the kingman on the competition cart with the durango verticle chamber tacked onto it.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENALI View Post
If i was going to get a new stick burner it would be the kingman on the competition cart with the durango verticle chamber tacked onto it.
Like this.