MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #9391
hamhock
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Well I made my UDS and tried it once with some whole chickens and baked potatoes. Which turn out really good. Yesterday I put on a 9lb Boston Butt and two 9lb Pork Loins. Everything went fine until the wind starting blowing. Moved the UDS to the other side of the shop and it held 250 to 265 degrees just fine. Everybody couldn't believe how they turn out being cooked in a drum. Thanks for all yalls input and info.

Last edited by hamhock; 04-15-2012 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: grammar
hamhock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #9392
Paul Worth
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpenick View Post
Fired up my brand new UDS today, and I just could NOT control the temperature while using natural oak lump. I ended up opening all the valves and letting it burn hot and quick, then using briquettes instead and those worked wonderfully. Did a couple of fatties and a rack of St. Louis spare ribs. Turned out great. I was very discouraged after the lump temps went crazy, but now I'm doubly excited as the results speak for themselves.
I use homemade hickory lump and have not had any problem with it. I use the Minion Method and start with eight fully-lit briquettes. Everything else is lump and wood chunks.
Paul Worth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #9393
dae06
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
I don't understand why you need a Guru or any other assistance. I've built 11 drums and they all work perfect without one.
Now you tell me. , I just ordered the iOue 110. Mainly because my off-set smoker really needs it, but after my UDS build I think I'll be selling the off-set.

Here's my build:
dae06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #9394
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

She's a beauty!

Love the truck too. Diesel prices are a killer nowadays though.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #9395
dae06

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
She's a beauty!

Love the truck too. Diesel prices are a killer nowadays though.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #9396
tpenick
Got Wood.

What did you use for the decals? Anything special to hold up to the heat?
tpenick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #9397
dae06

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpenick View Post
What did you use for the decals? Anything special to hold up to the heat?
Nothing special, just normal magnetic decals. So far I am really surprised as to how little heat transfers to the outside of the barrel. When I was at 250-275 degrees, the outside of the UDS was warm but not hot, even down by the coal basket. I have to add that it has been windy during my test runs, so maybe that kept the outside cooler, but so far no problems. I would think it would be the hottest by the fire box, but the magnets I use to cover the air inlets are perfectly fine. We'll see on a 90 degree day with no wind.

I just recieve the rest of my "bling" for it last night. It should be 100% completed by tonight. One thing I may also consider is a diffuser, but I'll make a decision on that soon.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #9398
huaco
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
Started on the intake holes with a titanium bit then the hole punch. Fortunately I started with a 3/4" punch but found out afterwards that it doesn't make a 3/4" hole. It's a bit oversized, almost 7/8". This greenline punch is made for electricians I believe (holes in panels, etc) and I suspect the 3/4" is made to fit the connectors that fit on the end of 3/4" conduit, hence why they are a little oversized.

So ordered a step bit to drill out to 1". Hopefully someone will avoid the mistake I almost made with this bit of info.
You used the conduit punch. Greenlee also makes Chassis Punches that are ACTUAL diameter. So, a 3/4" chassis punch actually cuts 3/4". The conduit punches are sized for the conduit but cut the hole to accommodate the O.D. of the conduit
huaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #9399
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Some pics from my latest UDS builds, decals aren't on yet but here our some build pics I'll take some when decal are cut and on and post them later.

pwa

a quick, easy and cheap charcoal basket 24qt strainer

much easier to work on with the bottom off

Bottom on and ready to smoke

Lid ring for weber lid

Notch cut in lid ring for prob wires, now I don't have to worry about prob wires when lifting meat out they come out with it
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #9400
tuliku
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hi again, long time ago i posted pics of my first UDS, made based on all the info found in this thread.
This one is quite big, so i decided today to make a smaller version which is now finished.

Here some pics:

The new one:

The basket and grill:

The new one next to my old one:
tuliku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #9401
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

whoops forgot a pic an can't edit it.

pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #9402
tuliku

Question to all.
Some people season it with the barrel having no paint on the inside, and some people paint it also on the inside with the heat standing paint.
If you have the paint inside, do you also season it, does it have any benefits ?

Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #9403
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuliku View Post
Question to all.
Some people season it with the barrel having no paint on the inside, and some people paint it also on the inside with the heat standing paint.
If you have the paint inside, do you also season it, does it have any benefits ?

No paint on inside (high heat paint for outside only) The seasoning is basically veg. oil or bacon grease rubbed on the inside and heated that will catch the somke particles and form a nice brown sticky residue on the inside of the drum and protect it from rusting...
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #9404
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrbakcrzy View Post
No paint on inside (high heat paint for outside only) The seasoning is basically veg. oil or bacon grease rubbed on the inside and heated that will catch the somke particles and form a nice brown sticky residue on the inside of the drum and protect it from rusting...
Agree-no paint on inside.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #9405
tuliku

Here is a video on how I made my smaller UDS from a few posts above.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker