MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:17 PM   #1
longwayfromhome
Full Fledged Farker

Default % 'loss' trimming spares to St Louis cut

Hi there

I am in an education process trying to get butcher's down this way to provide decent spares - lots and lots of challenges, the fundamental one being that they can get 20% more for pork belly than for decent spare ribs.

Anyway, can you give me your experience in the % reduction in weight when trimming regular 'spare' ribs to 'St Louis cut' ribs? Would there, on average, be a 20% reduction in weight (not saying loss, because you can use the trimmings)?

TIA.

Last edited by longwayfromhome; 03-07-2015 at 10:42 PM..
longwayfromhome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2015, 05:10 AM   #2
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would guess aprox. 40% loss. Maybe slightly less. Spares can come somewhat trimmed. Sometimes the breastbone is already removed, ive even seen the flap cut off. i know your in NZ, but maybe the aussie brethren can help in how they trained butchers or where they went to find American cuts. I know its a diff country but id imagine things to be close being the same part of the world.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:48 AM   #3
sunrise
On the road to being a farker

I dont know how it is there, but I buy my ribs at Sam's, and trim them myself. I used to just dispose of the trimmings, leading to a lot of waste. Now I take most of the trimmings, grind them and make my own sausage. It cut way down on the waste, and has given me another product. it's still pork, and still good meat. My waste is down to about 10%
sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #4
longwayfromhome
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrise View Post
I dont know how it is there, but I buy my ribs at Sam's, and trim them myself. I used to just dispose of the trimmings, leading to a lot of waste. Now I take most of the trimmings, grind them and make my own sausage. It cut way down on the waste, and has given me another product. it's still pork, and still good meat. My waste is down to about 10%

If you weighed your spares before trimming and then the St Louis ribs that resulted from the trimming, what would be the % reduction?
Old 03-08-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
smoke ninja

Here's a rough pick of a rack trimmed. You end up with a st louis rack and rib tips, or what is sometimes called the brisket. just as good as the ribs, some say better.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:56 PM   #6
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by longwayfromhome View Post
If you weighed your spares before trimming and then the St Louis ribs that resulted from the trimming, what would be the % reduction?
The full spares I get from restaurant depot (their "medium" labeled) are around 5lbs each rack. After trimming off the tips the St. Louis rack is around 3-3.5lbs. So 30-40% loss. But I keep the tips. If I owned a joint of my own I would also sell the tips and not consider it a loss.

The racks vary of course but this is my best "average estimate". You may vary depending on the size you get locally.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #7
jdbh
On the road to being a farker

mine r 50 percent from spares to st louis
Stump Clone
Big Green Egg XL
UDS (RED)
UDS (Black)
HYBRID OFFSET TRAILER
GREY THERMOPEN
LIME GREEN THERMOPEN
jdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #8
longwayfromhome
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks everyone, getting a feel for it now.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #9
landarc

Are you planning on selling ribs by weight? Normally, ribs are sold either "by the bone" or "by the rack". Weight rarely factors into the equation of selling cooked ribs.

I would bet you lose closer to 60% total raw weight, if you count removal of the flap, membrane (whether you remove it or burn it off), ends and moisture loss to cooking.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:03 AM   #10
longwayfromhome
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Are you planning on selling ribs by weight? Normally, ribs are sold either "by the bone" or "by the rack". Weight rarely factors into the equation of selling cooked ribs.

I would bet you lose closer to 60% total raw weight, if you count removal of the flap, membrane (whether you remove it or burn it off), ends and moisture loss to cooking.
No, I just needed to explain to the butcher some differences between the various cuts and this was one way. It is a real battle down here. I was just forced to accept 10 racks of ribs that were basically bone-in pork bellies with the skin taken off. In trimming these down I lost over 50 per cent. The Percentage I was after here was just explaining legitimate loss to him. Thanks for your input everyone.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #11
poorolddan
Full Fledged Farker

Around here most that sell spare ribs consider the trimmings a bonus. We can sell them for much more per pound than we get for the ribs. In some stores the tips sell for 20% more than the trimmed ribs go for. Show the butchers there is profit and it might work for you.
poorolddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #12
voidecho
Full Fledged Farker

Little off topic, but I smoke the trimmings, shred or chop them and put them in my beans.
voidecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:47 AM   #13
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post

Some of the newer places popping up in NYC are going the market/fast casual route and pricing their meats all by the 1/2 lb, including ribs. People will still order ribs by the piece, but it is weighed and priced according to weight. This seems to be the safest way to sell, especially when you are dealing with expensive short rib beef plate ribs.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #14
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidecho View Post
Little off topic, but I smoke the trimmings, shred or chop them and put them in my beans.

I was reading along in your reply and I thought you were going in a WHOLE nother direction there........and was wondering what type of paper you used to "roll" them with.......LOL
Old 03-12-2015, 02:35 PM   #15
Skip
is Blowin Smoke!

Butcher paper of course!

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote