#'s help

bproffer

Take a breath!
Reaction score
We've been asked to cook for a church function. The meal will consist of chicken quarters, pulled pork, 2 sides (rice and green salad), rolls and dessert. We were told to plan on cooking for 500 people. Talking to people in the know, they say that usually only 350-400 people show up.

We are donating our time and the church is reimbursing for the cost of the food. We are not making any money on the deal, but I don't want to buy too much or too little meat. I am thinking 100lbs of chicken quarters and 80 lbs of pulled pork (cooked weight). Do these numbers look right? I don't mind to much about having too much meat, but don't want to have too little/run out. We will have 4 buffet lines and may or may not have people serving.

What do you think?

The big question is, how many people will take both meats? How much are you figuring a chicken quarter weighs?

I think I would go with at least 100# pulled pork. The chicken is going to be tricky.

Yeah. I'd rather do all pulled pork or all chicken, but my Santa Maria grill can't handle all the chicken at once.

I would buy the quarters already cut and buy a set amount. I can get 14 head of chickens in a case that is cut into individual pieces and the chickens are between 3-3.5#. I ordered them by mistake, and had to use them. Distributor won't take fresh chicken back. The case I received was between 47-48#. I don't know if that helps. Maybe someone else that deals in quarters will chime in.

Good luck.

Maybe I should spatchcock whole birds or half birds and then quarter them once cooked?

I would buy the half chickens and then quarter. What are you going to do when people take more white meat than dark?

I'd do 125lbs cooked pork and 1pc of chicken per person be it leg or thigh. If you cooked quarters I would cook 220-250 quarters and cut them in half.

If you are serving pulled pork and chicken quarters be prepared to see a lot of waste.

It is human nature to pile the plate because the food looks good and they want to eat everything there. Soon before the plate is half finished the stomach is full...

I would go with individual pieces of chicken, they can always go back for a second piece if desired.

I found that servers also help to minimize waste, we let everyone go through the line once and then let people come back for seconds on their own accord...

But you have to decide what is best for you and the organization..

Back