MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:01 PM   #3256
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

I know some of you like to hear about business details. Like what does busy really mean? How much meat is that? Well, we now have 30 days of business under our belt, so I figured I'd share some highlights.

Total number of items served: 12,758
Pounds of meat served: 7,864
Carry Out: 58%
Dine In: 42%
Top selling BBQ: Brisket
Gallons of BBQ sauce served: 276

I've trimmed 99% of every piece of meat that's gone out, and I can tell you, it sure feels like I've handled close to 10,000 pounds of meat in just a little over a month. My body hurts.

And these numbers are with selling out as early as 5 most days, so I'm curious to see how these numbers scale when we're able to squeeze in a full dinner service as well.

I hope this provides useful insight to anyone reading the saga and considering their own place.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 11-04-2019, 02:41 PM   #3257
kevrol
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
I hope this provides useful insight to anyone reading the saga and considering their own place.
You've cured me from ever entertaining that thought.

Sure is fun to keep up with your venture though.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #3258
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Man... 7,864 pounds... wow. I bet you are sore.

Hope you are enjoying it, though!

Old 11-04-2019, 04:45 PM   #3259
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Curious, though - how does this stack up with your business plan? Are expenses and volume running about where you thought they'd be?

Old 11-04-2019, 07:44 PM   #3260
FrankZ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Frank

Quote:
Pounds of meat served: 7,864
I can get that on my weber 22.5 for the weekend... ;)

No really that is pretty awesome. Thank you for sharing.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2019, 07:42 AM   #3261
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
Curious, though - how does this stack up with your business plan? Are expenses and volume running about where you thought they'd be?
Volume is higher than expected, and costs are fairly in line with projections.

Labor is running right around 29% and food cost is kind of high at 37%. We're having a meeting this morning to discuss food costs. I think a few guys on meat during service are being a little heavy handed on portions.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #3262
Gopagins
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks for the update. Congratulations! Heading to SB in a couple weeks for ND game and looking forward to returning to the Pig. Can't wait.
Gopagins is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #3263
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I think a few guys on meat during service are being a little heavy handed on portions.
Have them observe the way a CHIPOTLE employee puts meet on the tortilla. They measure that out like the overages come straight out of their pocket.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #3264
EricD
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrvp View Post
Have them observe the way a CHIPOTLE employee puts meet on the tortilla. They measure that out like the overages come straight out of their pocket.
Really? The Chipotle here doesn't do that at all! It's a gamble, sometimes you gets a ton of steak, other times barely any.
The D'Angelo's sub shop measure and weigh everything though.
22" Weber Kettle black, 18" Weber Kettle black,Weber Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Weber Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, The Big Easy, Anova Immersion Cooker, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotisserie, Infrared temp gun, Maverick ET-732, ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mats
EricD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2019, 02:40 PM   #3265
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Volume is higher than expected, and costs are fairly in line with projections.

Labor is running right around 29% and food cost is kind of high at 37%. We're having a meeting this morning to discuss food costs. I think a few guys on meat during service are being a little heavy handed on portions.
Thanks for the update. It sounds like you are right on track - the harbinger of success. The food cost issue can likely be managed fairly easily. I would not bother weighing unless they are buying by the pound. It slows down the line and looks kind of tacky. The guys need to learn to eyeball it correctly.

As I said though, to be this close to your plan is excellent.

Old 11-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #3266
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
Thanks for the update. It sounds like you are right on track - the harbinger of success. The food cost issue can likely be managed fairly easily. I would not bother weighing unless they are buying by the pound. It slows down the line and looks kind of tacky. The guys need to learn to eyeball it correctly.

As I said though, to be this close to your plan is excellent.
Exactly, I have a scale on the line, but its very tight quarters in the kitchen and unless it's for catering or weighing out meats by the pound, it's not very practical for every single order when you've got a full dining room and a line for to-go orders.

But we've got the scale up there today and they are using it to get a better feel for what needs to go on sandwiches and platters. A little practice and they will be on target I'm sure.

In the meeting I explained that even just being one ounce heavy, times 140-200 covers a day, that could easily be 10 pounds of meat going out that shouldn't have, and that alone can drop food costs significantly... not to mention help keep us from selling out as early.

As a side note, we're already expanding even more. While we finished part of the basement to put in a prep kitchen, we're now finishing the rest of the basement to make a full catering kitchen. Equipped with ovens, more holding cabinets, steam table, another walk-in cooler, the whole nine. This project is turning into a behemoth.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:34 PM   #3267
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Congratulations and for sure you are doing it right! Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2019, 10:33 PM   #3268
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Once you get this all set up are you going to turn and burn this place, or stick around for the long haul. You seem the kinda bloke who could do both.
SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2019, 07:33 AM   #3269
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Exactly, I have a scale on the line, but its very tight quarters in the kitchen and unless it's for catering or weighing out meats by the pound, it's not very practical for every single order when you've got a full dining room and a line for to-go orders.

But we've got the scale up there today and they are using it to get a better feel for what needs to go on sandwiches and platters. A little practice and they will be on target I'm sure.

In the meeting I explained that even just being one ounce heavy, times 140-200 covers a day, that could easily be 10 pounds of meat going out that shouldn't have, and that alone can drop food costs significantly... not to mention help keep us from selling out as early.

As a side note, we're already expanding even more. While we finished part of the basement to put in a prep kitchen, we're now finishing the rest of the basement to make a full catering kitchen. Equipped with ovens, more holding cabinets, steam table, another walk-in cooler, the whole nine. This project is turning into a behemoth.
Ah, but a SUCCESSFUL behemoth! All signs say you have this covered. Great job - starting a business is not for the faint of heart or the undisciplined.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:55 AM   #3270
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
Once you get this all set up are you going to turn and burn this place, or stick around for the long haul. You seem the kinda bloke who could do both.
I'm sticking around. I love what I do and I love food. I can't picture doing anything else. I'd like to open up another one in a nice warm part of the country though, because I'm not a winter person though.

Thanks from: --->