BBQ Brethren "Mini" Throwdown

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Our new category is...

[size=+2]"Mini!"[/size]
4145931467_c674ac0211.jpg

Weber Smokey Joe

...as chosen by R2Egg2Q, the winner of the Beef Ribs Throwdown!

Here is the vision for this Throwdown as expressed by R2Egg2Q:
R2Egg2Q said:
...In regards to the next category, I'm thinking a "Mini" Throwdown in which any dish can be submitted as long as it is cooked on a grill that has a cooking grate that is 14.5" in diameter or smaller or for other shaped grates those that have a cooking area of 166 sq. in. or smaller.

I believe this would include these popular grills/cookers:

Weber Smokey Joes (silver & gold)
Weber Go Anywhere (we might get a bunch of entries from Phu's Lowland Smokers :-D)
BGE Mini or Small
Mini-UDS
Mini-WSM
UBS
Charcoal Chimney

I think it should be a requirement to include a pic of the grill being used in preparation of the dish in the entry thread (not necessarily in the voting pic).

I don't think it's too restrictive. Everyone should AT LEAST have a Chimney Starter, so there shouldn't be anyone that doesn't have a cooking grate within these size requirements.

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 9/9 through Sunday 9/18.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Sunday night 9/18.

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin Monday 9/19 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Saturday 9/24. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the Tortilla Throwdown until Sunday night 9/11 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Egg Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Fark, guess I need to craft up some sort of mini cooker. I have been wanting to make a mini-WSM for a while but haven't even started accumulating the parts. I may have to get creative. I do have a crockpot that fits within those size restrictions though :becky:

Fark, guess I need to craft up some sort of mini cooker. I have been wanting to make a mini-WSM for a while but haven't even started accumulating the parts. I may have to get creative. I do have a crockpot that fits within those size restrictions though :becky:
Do a search for brother zydecopaws and his Crock-a-Que.:thumb:

Yep, I have seen it. Although I am not so sure the better half would allow me to sacrifice her crock to that extent. Maybe I will just have to hit the thrift stores.

Besides, if Igotgas breaks out his secret weapon, this TD is already over anyway :becky:

1749574_Lil_Miss_Igotgas.jpg

Special rules? Yes!!!

Those always go well in throwdowns.

CD

Is there a reason the grate is upside down?

That's funny, I didn't notice it until you mentioned that.

I wasn't sure what kind of pic to use for this one so I just searched for "Smokey Joe" and looked for an image that showed the grate and food cooking on it. Most all of the pics were of fully assembled units for sale purposes.

Is there a reason the grate is upside down?

Yes, that's important for ensuring that the dispersion and surface-adsorption processes, hydrophobic interactions, disulfide bond breaking, and the physico-chemical interactions all take place efficiently.

He must have gotten the picture from the Texas A&M student cooking forum. :heh:

(it's a Texas humor thing)

CD

Either that or an OU fan. They always seem to have stuff upside down like images of longhorns.

Side note: Thank you to Texas A&M for destroying the Big 12 too.

I was at the local Target today and they had a clearance on a 14" charcoal SJ clone for $8.48. Might be a cheap start to your build or at least easier on you than converting your better half's crockot.:heh:

I was at the local Target today and they had a clearance on a 14" charcoal SJ clone for $8.48. Might be a cheap start to your build or at least easier on you than converting your better half's crockot.:heh:

I was in Cabella's today. they carry the SJ Gold, which I think is the best choice for a mini WSM because of the side intake vents. They were 35-bucks.

CD

Back