MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
Bham_egger
Found some matches.

Default Sandblasted UDS Drum

Got my drum back from the sandblasted. Took it there to have the red liner removed. It now has a somewhat roughed up texture from the blasting. Is this ok? Why is my next step. I was going to spray it down with cooking oil to keep the rust at bay until I can do some long burns? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Before

After

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358350808.905265.jpg (21.8 KB, 263 views)
Bham_egger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

It's good, just get a good coating of oil on it as you're planning on doing.

What did they charge you for the sandblasting?

Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Keep oiled and assemble. No need for burn ins or whatever. Just clean, oil and cook. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Bham_egger
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbbqguy View Post
Keep oiled and assemble. No need for burn ins or whatever. Just clean, oil and cook. Steve.
Do I need to burn to remove the paint on the outside? I kinda want to hit it with hi temp paint.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Bham_egger
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
It's good, just get a good coating of oil on it as you're planning on doing.

What did they charge you for the sandblasting?
$30 for the inside. I guess that's kinda high, but definitely with it to not waste my time on that liner.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bham_egger View Post
$30 for the inside. I guess that's kinda high, but definitely with it to not waste my time on that liner.
No, not high at all.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Do I need to burn to remove the paint on the outside? I kinda want to hit it with hi temp paint.
Yes. Burn it out till outside paint flakes off. Wash. Then rattle can with high temp paint. I usually use 2 or 3 pallets for burnout. Some businesses will give them to you. I get mine free from the local tractor supply store.

And no, you don't HAVE to do this. But you would much rather deal with it now, than you would later. Imagine trying to wire brush the old paint off, and repaint, with an already seasoned drum. Paint chips and dust all in your seasoning? At that point you WOULD have to burn it out and re-wash.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
That's an awesome price. I've heard anywhere from 40-60 bucks.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Just to elaborate a bit....

You could leave the outside paint on, maybe it'll flake off, maybe it won't. In my experience it will.

Plus the non-high temp paint might release fumes when it's heated, then it again maybe it won't. Remember it wasn't originally intended to be heated up a few hundred degrees.

Rattle can with high temp. Then there will be no peeling issues. There'll be no possible health issues. Plus a uds just looks right flat black!

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't burn paint off with heat for many reasons. First, I build several and don't see the need to waste all that time and fuel, second is it hardens up the temper quicky. In my design there are enough holes to drill,it's not worth the drill bits. Third, I learned at a very early age how to use my hands and some sandpaper. Why they even make electric ones!(sanders) Takes minutes is all. All the units I build are sandblasted with light type media and are powdercoated for extra durability and looks. We can get impressive one step metalflakes or candy looks from the powder. I was getting two to three years durability on just paint when stored outside and repainting yearly. That was the main reason I switched to powder. Steve.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
Pole D
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I don't burn paint off with heat for many reasons. First, I build several and don't see the need to waste all that time and fuel, second is it hardens up the temper quicky. In my design there are enough holes to drill,it's not worth the drill bits. Third, I learned at a very early age how to use my hands and some sandpaper. Why they even make electric ones!(sanders) Takes minutes is all. All the units I build are sandblasted with light type media and are powdercoated for extra durability and looks. We can get impressive one step metalflakes or candy looks from the powder. I was getting two to three years durability on just paint when stored outside and repainting yearly. That was the main reason I switched to powder. Steve.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but when you powder-coat do you just do the outside or do you do the entire drum?
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Whenever I get a new barrel, first thing I do is burn it out. We do it at night, out in the field. My kids are 3 & 4 yrs old and they love it when I burn one out. They run around and play. They have a blast!

Old 01-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #13
mcbrew13
On the road to being a farker

A weed burner and propane is the way I go. Takes care of the inside and paint outside. Wash with soapy water and you're in business.
mcbrew13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Not a dumb question. Just the outside, bare metal with oil for the inside. Even though there are coatings that withstand heat quite well, were not wanting to add anything that would gas off any substance inside the cooking chamber at all. Just moist, smoky heated air. Our coater makes three to four passes, which adds material to double the thickness of the barrels. Steve

Old 01-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #15
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Not a dumb question. Just the outside, bare metal with oil for the inside. Even though there are coatings that withstand heat quite well, were not wanting to add anything that would gas off any substance inside the cooking chamber at all. Just moist, smoky heated air. Our coater makes three to four passes, which adds material to double the thickness of the barrels. Steve
Wonder if the powder coating helps insulate it? You'd think it would. Steve if you don't mind, what kind of price might a fellow be looking at to have one powder coated?