MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #12706
chargrill2369
On the road to being a farker

Hi I made a uds. I followed the instructions I found on yourube. It works great and holds temp well.
chargrill2369 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #12707
PoohDaddy
Found some matches.

I'm on page 211 of reading this mega thread!! I'm bout to start my build in the next week or so. I have seen several pics with latch's holding the lids on but have not seen what kind or where to get them. any help on this subject?
PoohDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #12708
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohDaddy View Post
I'm on page 211 of reading this mega thread!! I'm bout to start my build in the next week or so. I have seen several pics with latch's holding the lids on but have not seen what kind or where to get them. any help on this subject?
I don't know that you need a latch. But you will see quite a few versions of hinges depending on the lid used. You have alot of pages to see. Take notes of the pages so you can go back later. Cause you know you will.
Some of us make our own from brackets etc from HD.

https://www.google.com/search?q=uds+...&bih=747&dpr=1
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #12709
PorkinButts82
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't think the latches are necessary if your lid is a somewhat tight fit. As for the hinge, spend the $50 and take all the guess work out of it. Order, unbox, install, and enjoy. After you chase down parts and time for doing so, you're better off buying one. Just my .02

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
PorkinButts82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2017, 04:15 PM   #12710
PorkinButts82
is one Smokin' Farker

I just picked up a kettle off CL, $10. Just needed the lid. Painted it and luckily it fit pretty good as my drum sat, no mods needed. I leaked a little so put 4 paper binder clamps and it worked great.

Last edited by PorkinButts82; 04-03-2017 at 05:33 PM..

Old 04-03-2017, 09:18 PM   #12711
PoohDaddy
Found some matches.

Thanks fellas! I got work to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PoohDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2017, 10:12 PM   #12712
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:04 AM   #12713
PorkinButts82
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
That's a whole Lotta wood brother!

Old 04-04-2017, 09:20 PM   #12714
clskinsfan
Got rid of the matchlight.

Hi all. I am almost done with my first UDS. I know this thread helped me immensely with my build so I wanted to drop a tip that I found while building. I had the red liner in my barrel. I was going to get it sand blasted but before I dropped the money to have it done I was going to try to do it myself first. I did a VERY hot burn with 3 pallets stuffed into the barrel. Once that was done I used a scotch brite scouring pad and Bar keepers friend and scrubbed the inside of the barrel. I was shocked how easy the red liner came off. There were still a few spots of it inside the barrell. Especially in the ribs. So up went another VERY hot fire into the barrell. After this second fire and another scrubbing the red liner is gone. It really was not any more difficult than washing a car. I hope that helps someone else who is concerned about getting the liner out.

I set my UDS up similar to a PBC. 2 racks which I cut in half and one piece of rebar running to 2 holes in the sides of the drum. I split the racks so that I can hang meat off of the rebar and still use 2 half racks for some cedar fish or oysters (I love smoked oysters!) Since I had to have those 2 holes to hang meat I only drilled 2 additional holes in my lid for venting. I am going to get the thing dialed in this weekend.

Thanks to all of you who contributed to this thread. You have made my job much easier.
clskinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2017, 09:31 PM   #12715
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkinButts82 View Post
That's a whole Lotta wood brother!

60/40. That's why people couldn't tell if I cooked on my drum or my stick burner.
Can't run that many chunks at 225*, but 225* Blows. I run 275*-300*.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:49 PM   #12716
PorkinButts82
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
60/40. That's why people couldn't tell if I cooked on my drum or my stick burner.
Can't run that many chunks at 225*, but 225* Blows. I run 275*-300*.
275* seems to be the sweet spot for me and my drum. She will purr right along within a few degrees here and there. Just added a kettle lid on mine and seems to run better than the flat lid did.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:42 AM   #12717
Radiccus
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default She aint pretty, but she's faithful

Forum crept for a bit then just pulled the trigger. Made this beauty a few weeks back. Low cost was the name of the game. Got the drum for $15, dome and 2 grates free off CL, $12 for the dome lip metal and about the same for the fire rope. Found the safety pin in a drawer. Rattled canned in hi temp matte black bc it was $3.50 a can. 2 cooking grates, and a 3rd grate so I can mess around with a heat diffuser. No welder/welding skills and I didnt want to buy u-bolts, so yes that is wire holding my basket together. Its solid as a rock. Ive had it fired up 5 or 6 times since its creation and have made, ribs, rib tips, chicken, sausages, and a 12lb pork butt ( can be seen on bottom rack between the ribs). All phenomenal. Big props to this mega thread for getting me here. Prior to this I was rocking $60 Home depot bullet smokers so now I am a happy camper. I'm currently working on an automatic temperature controller. If its a success ill post that too. Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front.jpg (46.8 KB, 484 views)
File Type: jpg Top.jpg (57.7 KB, 486 views)
File Type: jpg Inside.jpg (56.7 KB, 483 views)
File Type: jpg Basket.jpg (76.4 KB, 482 views)
File Type: jpg ribs.jpg (40.8 KB, 483 views)
Radiccus is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-30-2017, 10:04 PM   #12718
peppasawce
is one Smokin' Farker

theres nothing like an Ugly Drum Smoker

Old 05-01-2017, 12:56 AM   #12719
bstomper
Full Fledged Farker

Drums are looking good guys. Keep the pictures coming. Pictures are good. I actualy lucked out for a change. I have always wanted a weber lid for my first uds but they are impossible to come by where I live. I have also always wanted a weber kettle......so I finally got one the other day and just for giggles I tried the weber lid on my uds and to my surprize it was a perfect fit. Actualy fit the drum better than the kettle. Now I'm looking real hard for another lid.
bstomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2017, 05:53 AM   #12720
PorkinButts82
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstomper View Post
Drums are looking good guys. Keep the pictures coming. Pictures are good. I actualy lucked out for a change. I have always wanted a weber lid for my first uds but they are impossible to come by where I live. I have also always wanted a weber kettle......so I finally got one the other day and just for giggles I tried the weber lid on my uds and to my surprize it was a perfect fit. Actualy fit the drum better than the kettle. Now I'm looking real hard for another lid.
Craigslist, facebook, offer up, letgo... plenty of resale sites. Just an FYI it doesn't have to be a Weber kettle lid.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker