MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: Should BBQ PIT MASTERS CHANGE THEIR EPISODE FORMAT?
Season 1 73 75.26%
Current season 9 9.28%
A mixture of episodes? 15 15.46%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Longo1908
On the road to being a farker

Default Should BBQ Pit-masters go back to the season 1 Format?

I'm a big fan of the show, but last nights episode mirrored season 1 which I happened to like better. So Brethren what's the consensus? The current format or move back to season 1?
Longo1908 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
shucker
Got Wood.

seemed more authentic when they featured 3-4 teams that were competing against hundreds. Even if the teams you were watching didnt win, I liked it. The format of just the 3 teams competing doesn't seem right. And the fact that they "force" the smack talk doesn't add much to the show.
shucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
BobM
Babbling Farker

Season 1 was my favorite.

Sent from my Android phone.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
Ijustwantedtolookatpics

Season 1 by far...
I didn't care if they got 49th in ribs, I want to see the process.
Weber gasser
Kinda-fast Grey Thermapen
Ijustwantedtolookatpics is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
scottjess

Name/Nickname : Scottjames84

I loved Season one... speaking of the recent season, last nights Episode has not been added to Youtube yet even though I've paid for it!

Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I only watched a few episodes of season one. Too much "Reality TV drama queen" chit for me.

I think season two, without the run to the truck and stupid side challenges, is the way to go. Give the competitors some meat and a side, and some time, and see what they can do. Whoever cooks the best meal wins.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Longo1908

Absolutely. The phony bickering really doesn't help. On top of which by actually showing the different competitions it really added a dimension to the show. Hopefully they change the format.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
thirtydaZe
Full Fledged Farker

The only thing i didnt like about last night was my wife constantly complaining how annoying the son was.
Weber Summit
Weber Performer
Weber Go-Anywhere
Weber Jumbo Joe
thirtydaZe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
hogzillas
Full Fledged Farker

I personally like season 1 type as it was them vs everyone else but due to the fact "them" didn't win too often set it back as far as tv goes (not good for tv when the stars fail). I'd personally like to see them follow a rookie team in a kinda "so you want to compete in bbq contests so here's what it's like" & maybe have long time teams in it like Myron, Bubba Q, etc that we've seen & know. Maybe create a new rookie team each year???
hogzillas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
Kloogee
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtydaZe View Post
The only thing i didnt like about last night was my wife constantly complaining how annoying the son was.
In her defense, he was pretty annoying. But no more so than Myron.
Kloogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
hogzillas
Full Fledged Farker

Like father like son but that was just for tv
hogzillas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
Longo1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzillas View Post
I personally like season 1 type as it was them vs everyone else but due to the fact "them" didn't win too often set it back as far as tv goes (not good for tv when the stars fail). I'd personally like to see them follow a rookie team in a kinda "so you want to compete in bbq contests so here's what it's like" & maybe have long time teams in it like Myron, Bubba Q, etc that we've seen & know. Maybe create a new rookie team each year???
That's a great idea. Kinda like they did with Pablo Diablo BBQ.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
bo_b_q

I actually like the Season 2 format (which I assume is similar in Season 3/4?? made it that far yet) better, but only if they got rid of/changed the side challenges. I thought it was stupid to send a team off because they had the worst side. I'm with CD... best set up would be pick a meat and a side and see who wins.

However I understand that since it's made for TV and they are going for "drama" they probably need to keep the challenges in the middle. My suggestion would be to not punish a team for last, but reward a team for first. Some kind of advantage...they can pick if the go 1st, 2nd, or so on...they get 10 extra minutes to plate, etc... Might not be a "realistic" comp but it's also a reality show so...

The only thing I didn't like about the first season was that it was the same teams. There were parts of that I found interesting but I like seeing different teams compete...you get more different processes. Johnny Trigg isn't changing the way he makes his ribs...after an episode it's the same stuff. When you change teams you get different styles.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #14
Found some matches.

I really liked Season 3s format, but they didn't go into their processes enough. And more discussion & interaction between the Judges. Also, I was hoping for an episode where the judges had to do Brisket, Pulled Pork & Ribs and have the winners of each round Judge them. That would have been fun.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
Longo1908

Wow, Look at the poll so far,not even close. I hope Destination America reps see this.