Kamado Identification Help

M

mtdew456

I found an old Kamado Cooker at a local store and am trying to identify exactly what I have found and determine how much it is worth. The grate is about 18" in diameter. Can anyone help identify this Kamado? (I believe it is an old clay pot)

The fire box and fire ring are in good shape and not cracked. The unit is missing the top damper, coal grate, and the bottom damper is pretty rusted up. The band hinge is rusted as well and would need cleaned up and the rear hinge would need replaced.

Is this unit worth trying to pick up and refurbish?

Attachments

• IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 247
That is a great find.
The grill goes on top.
How much are they asking for it?

Imperial Kamado Traditional Style. @ 50 years old

You can use a Lodge Cast iron Trivet, BGE charcoal grate or expando.

18" Weber cook grate.

The slide Damper on the bottom can be replaced with a stainless steel BGE draft door as well as a DFMT for the lid. Metal rusts, but if the hinge bands are still intact clean them up and repaint or replace with a BGE spring assist hinge.

HOW MUCH are they asking???

figure @ $200 for parts if you need a SA hinge.

I really like that one, even if it won't take searing temps.

I'd snag it and make a project of it. Take the bands to a powder coater to have them blasted and refinished. If the 9" BGE charcoal grate won't work the Kamado Joe uses a 10" FYI. A new wood handle wouldn't be a problem.

I think it would make a great conversation piece tabled alongside a BGE or other make.

Let us know the price.

Swamprb is the resident kamado expert here and seems to be right on with the ID. My Imperial Kamado has the same Japanese characters (translates to "extreme east" ...) but the ones on that one are much clearer than mine.

Aside from the rust, that one hardly looks like it has been used. I haven't seen many that don't have a cracked or broken firebox and fire ring.

They are asking $65 for the kamado. Is that a good deal?

Sounds like $50 out the door to me. I'd be all over it. I just love the look, and it looks like new inside.

I don't know if there is any room for negotiation on this one or not, but time will tell. I am planning on painting the outside to help make it more weather resistant, but I just can't decide on the color I want to go with.

You just lost me. I love the look as is. I'd rather deal with a cover (if even needed) than degrading paint.

And I'd be fine with $65.

I don't know if there is any room for negotiation on this one or not, but time will tell. I am planning on painting the outside to help make it more weather resistant, but I just can't decide on the color I want to go with.

The surface texture is flaking off in some places and I was thinking that a coat of high temp paint would help with durability and overall protection of the cooker in the long term. To preserve the old look I could always go with a clear high temp paint.

A cover for this will be more important then paint.
Its funny, It looks like it was never painted.
It also looks like it was only used one or two times.
65 dollars is a great price.

It definitely never was painted before and barely used at all. Is there any downside to painting the cooker if I decide to go that route?

I wouldn't go the Krylon route for your primer. I'd take a pic of it into a professional's paint store and talk with the counter help about the project. They might be able to help you come up with an affordable solution for a primer that will seal off that extremely porous surface.

Were it me I'd look for a flat paint that hews to that raw clay look as much as possible.

Please update with how things progress.

It definitely never was painted before and barely used at all. Is there any downside to painting the cooker if I decide to go that route?

I was considering using duplicolor engine paint (enamel with ceramic) if I do decide to paint.

If the surface is so broken down that it sheds clay when you rub your hand over it you are going to need a specialty primer of some sort - maybe epoxy based.

Just hitting it will rattle can paint will result in mass flaking after a short while and an ugly appearance.

I was considering using duplicolor engine paint (enamel with ceramic) if I do decide to paint.

They are asking $65 for the kamado. Is that a good deal?

I'd probably pay $65 for it because I have the parts to make it whole.

Like I said before a Lodge trivet is @ $15, a BGE CI grate @ $20-25, a DFMT for the lid is @ $35-50, a stainless steel slider @ $40+, so you have some money to spend to make it usable- use that info to beat them down to $50 cash out the door.

It was painted Orange and I would suggest repainting it. A cover is a must.

The very first one I refurbished was painted with green rattlecan enamel and its still holding up and not peeling. The two that I repainted using Dupli-Color Engine paint show signs of Efflorescence (powdery chalk from water absorption in the clay) coming through the paint. Par for the course in my case, since most of my finds have been abused and left out uncovered.

It also looks like it does not have a cart, so you will like need one or build a table for it.

Do your homework, download a copy of the Kamado manual from the Naked Whiz site and don't overload it with fuel.

Good luck! PM me if you need any help with it.

Last edited:
I will be picking it up tomorrow! I will keep everyone posted on my progress (should probably start a refurbishing thread for that one). Thanks for all the help with identifying what I found and talking me into buying it.

Back