MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
OcalaScott
On the road to being a farker

Default Holding Chicken - HELP!!!

Let’s say you have to cook a bunch chicken tomorrow because when your daughter called and asked if you could do it, you were on your cell phone and heard her say 8 lbs of chicken and you said "yea, no problem" . But, you JUST found out, she said 80 lbs of chicken .

You have 2 Webber 22.5” grills, 1 – UDS with 2 racks and 1 gasser. You think that it will have to be cooked in batches because of space. Would you cook and then put into aluminum pans, foil them and hold them at temp in the oven or would you pre-heat coolers and hold them in the coolers? Maybe both, hold in the oven and then transport in coolers?? Transport time is about 20 minutes.

How long do you think is OK to hold them before serving?

This is purely hypothetical you understand (as he gets into the truck to go buy charcoal, propane, aluminum pans………)

Thanks for any help!!
Scott
OcalaScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
jwall
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I am in Brooksville... I can loan you a WSM if you want? Let me know...
What's your time frame?

Old 04-15-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
OcalaScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwall View Post
I am in Brooksville... I can loan you a WSM if you want? Let me know...
What's your time frame?
Thanks, I am getting in touch with my friend here in Ocala to ask about using his stuff also. He has a pellet pooper, a small offset and a gasser. I think I will be good on equipment but I still need to hold it for transport.

I appreciate the offer!!

Old 04-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
OcalaScott

I know that chicken should be served right off the smoker, but I can't. How about ideas on holding it for transport? How long do you think would be OK?

Old 04-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

What cuts of chicken are we talking?

White meat, like breasts will dry out before you can serve them with a 20 min transport time, unless they are sitting in liquid. (then you get mush chicken).

Dark meat like legs, wings & thighs will do slightly better
80 lbs of bird is a lot of bird to cook & transport period (in pieces)

Maybe get 15 large whole chickens & spatchcock them? I dunno..

I would not even consider it, but i am not a caterer either, maybe some of those folks could give you a better answer.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
Haltech
Full Fledged Farker

I recommend doing whole chickens halved. They could hold their moisture for quite a while as well as their temp. As long as you crisp the skin, you would be good to go. If you were in my area, we could throw them all in my FEC in one batch and be done with it.
[COLOR=Lime]GREEN[/COLOR] [COLOR=SeaGreen][B]Top Gear Formula Model[/B][/COLOR] Therm0Pen
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Magenta"]Rubs Of Choice - [COLOR="Black"][B]Jacked UP BBQ & Plowboys Yardbird[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
GeauxBigRed

I would definitely post this question on the catering board. Those guys will know.