Red Bull Soap Box Races

Don't stress just thing more cash at the end of the day. Tell you what we thought an felt like we had the life kicked out of us on the last five day festival vending but the pain soon went away whe we started counting the cash.

In all honesty I would consider thinning out your menu. I know I know BUT you need to be mean and lean to give the best service and quality food.
Reconsides the Triotip, yes it's a fantastic seller BUT it also takes more attenion to detail then the other meats so can you spare that time? Have you the equipment in place to cook it to your standards if you fall or are needed elswhere can someone cover you?

Also look at your staffing needs-
Get some 'inbetween people' to assist at the very least. Your hard staff is going to need a break or two ( water, restroom etc ) so get someone to either be a runner or a fil in. Believe me it's well worth it. Let's say someone twist an ankle or suffers a serious cut or burn, you need someone to cover.

We are vending this event and they are expecting over 80,000 people. This by far the largest event we have ever done and I am just a little bit anxious. I could use any tips or support you care to offer.

Thanks

Never look at the line! :twisted: Good Luck Bro! :p

Mista-
We just did a event Saturday for the scouts and although the numbers were less that 1,000 thru the food line it felt like 5,000 with the rate we were going keeping the bays filled with pulled pork, sausages, burgers, chicken, rolls cole slaw, salad and rolls. All the pork needed was pulling and we cooked the other meats on site along with the veggie options.

Now we didn't have to take any orders or cash but a larger team would have come in handy. Everything was cooked on a Traegar,Weber Ranch kettel, The Meat Beast and a 22" Weber. We could have used another grill but did fine with what we had. Please re-think your hardware and staffing need because it's going to be a looooong day.

Al

1he5pc.jpg

15pfndx.jpg

15494ko.jpg

lol Both racks in the holding side were full and all three ( you can only see two shelves in the above pictures) were also rammed. Did 400+ sausages alone.
16gtnm.jpg

95u8vc.jpg

You might consider dropping 1 meat item to make it easier on yourself,
and change one meat item to a large Hot Dog (1/4 pound) or a
Polish Sausage (1/4 pound)...there is going to be LOTS of kids &
women there. You can pre-cook them and hold them like Brisket, etc.

Make your prices even dollar amounts....$4.00, $6.00, $8.00...whatever.
Trying to make change for an Item that is $3.75, or $5.95...is crazy
and time consuming.

Make sure you have PLENTY of $1.00 bills for change...maybe $400 worth.
Almost everybody will be paying with a $20 bill.

Whatever Hot Dog or other type of Buns you use...take them out of
the bag and separate them...then put them back in the bag...or
Cambro or whatever you will store them in....this will save you
massive amounts of time..

That's what i was thinking. these litle things can be some money makers. Especially if you can do sausage on a stick. Big sellers at events around here. Easy to eat while walking.

Ok so the day basically sucked. We barely broke even.

There were 110,000 people there and none of them knew where to find us. We weren't visible at all from where the races were and the one small gate with one small 'concessions' sign was blocked by two catering trucks so most people never even went past that point.

The only reason we even broke even is because I went out into the crowd to get people and bring them back. (If anyone has seen me hustle at a People's Choice event, you know what I mean.)

All of the vendors were really pissed, because there was no flow to the area where we were setup. Awful.

That being said, it was the most money we ever made in 6 hours. But an $1800 entry fee and $1000 worth of meat cuts right into that. Not to mention paying the help.

Ok so the day basically sucked. We barely broke even.

There were 110,000 people there and none of them knew where to find us. We weren't visible at all from where the races were and the one small gate with one small 'concessions' sign was blocked by two catering trucks so most people never even went past that point.

The only reason we even broke even is because I went out into the crowd to get people and bring them back. (If anyone has seen me hustle at a People's Choice event, you know what I mean.)

All of the vendors were really pissed, because there was no flow to the area where we were setup. Awful.

That being said, it was the most money we ever made in 6 hours. But an $1800 entry fee and $1000 worth of meat cuts right into that. Not to mention paying the help.

Ugh, I feel your pain! We've had those weekends when our staff had better take home pay than we have. But, those weekends do not happen as often any more. Would more signage, and place it higher above your booth, help at all? Steve built a framework that holds a large banner above the top of our booth so people can see it over the heads of the people in the crowd.

Our son-in-law figured out the numbers for us and events that charge that much for a space are almost never a money make if it is only for one day. In those cases the first day is when you (hopefully) cover your costs like space rent, supplies, staffing, etc. The second day is when you make your profit. We only do a few one day events any more for that reason. Those one day events we will do are for organizers we already know who are wonderful to work with and bend over backwards to make our lives easier.

Back